Purpose of this forum

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

Do we need a separate forum for links?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:02 pm

Yes. Separating information like this helps me find what I am looking for.
100%
I don't care.
No votes

Total votes: 7

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Purpose of this forum

Post by Greg Stephens »

Edit: The more I think about it, the less I'm sure about the idea of this forum. There's value, I think, in having a separate area for this sort of thing, but there's also value in having things in one general place. With that in mind, I think I'll make this topic into a poll and see what everybody else has to say about it. Please let me know.
End of edit.

This forum is intended for "Come look at my website"-type links and associated requests for feedback.

This should NOT supercede posting links in the other forums that are relevant to discussion there. When in doubt- simply post a topic anywhere and if it's in the wrong forum, I'll just move it to the right one- no harm done.

Some topics will be borderline. I'll try to err on the side of caution and only move stuff to this forum that obviously belongs here.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

A few arguments in favor of seperating the Hype postings, beyond the obvious organizational benefits:

1: Even though we know it is accepted, some people (myself included) feel very self-conscious creating a new topic amidst weightier conversation, purely for the purpose of promoting our own work. By creating a new forum specific to promotion, you allow us to feel like we're doing exactly what we're supposed to be doing, rather than just bothering people. Which is to say, we would be more likely to go ahead and promote ourselves.

2: Some people (myself included) are involved in interesting creative projects that may not be specifically comics related, but which we would nonetheless like to share with the group. However, we (or at least I) would feel we were being very rude to hype non-comics projects on the board devoted to the discussion of comics art. Creating a Hype forum gives us a place where we might feel more comfortable referencing these non comics projects.
rcar
Consistant Poster

Post by rcar »

A hype posting doesn't bother me because they don't last too long on top of the board. If a discussion occurs then it may be better off in the art board, but maybe not.

The reason I do not like a seperate board is it is another place for me to visit. Either I forget about it or just don't have the time for another board.

I'm not set in stone about it, but lean in the above direction.
Randy Carboni
www.mermbut.com
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

rcar wrote:The reason I do not like a seperate board is it is another place for me to visit. Either I forget about it or just don't have the time for another board.
That is a valid point, but there may be a good solution for you. As a registered user, when you are logged in, you can use the link to View Posts Since Last Visit which puts all new posts on one page. This link is found on the right side of the forum index page, near the top, and only when logged in.

Would that help any?
rcar
Consistant Poster

Post by rcar »

It took me a while to find the view since last visit link. I have the reinventing comics: art book marked. I had to go to the forum page to get that link. I do like it. It makes finding the latest posts much easier. Thanks Greg
Randy Carboni
www.mermbut.com
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

I like having a seperate forum for hype because it allows me to find new web sites with cool comics on them easily.

Also, hype always tends to drift downstream on the regular forum, making way for more weighty discussions. That is all fine and well, but sometimes I think it would be cool for hype to have its own place where it can be easily seen. There isn't much of a conversation that goes on with hype threads, I have found. Usually a few people say that they like it, the people who don't like it don't say much of anything, and then the thread just fades away. Now, even if a hype thread isn't the source of a lot of conversation, it can still exist at the top of a forum space, so fans of online comics can find it months on down the road. It is almost like a do it yourself link section.

I like it both as a creator and as a fan.
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Post by Tim Tylor »

I think I like the idea of this forum. If I'd a site of my own I know I'd feel easier if there was a definite "Blow Your Own Trumpet Here" spot.

This may be a silly question, but is this forum also the right place for fans to link to their favorites? There are a good few comics and strips I'd love to sing the praises of.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Sure. Go right ahead.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Just my opinion ... (Dave gets up on his soapbox and his high horse)

I just read a post in the Morning Improv forum, trying to get people to contribute to a college newspaper. I have also read countless posts in the Reinventing Comics: ART forum of people hyping their comics. This annoys me to no end. There is a place for these posts and it is not in the Art or MI forums. If I wanted to waste my time reading about peoples comics, I would read the Hype section. Sometimes I decide not to read the Hype section knowing that there is not usualy any deep conversation going on here and I only have a limited amount of time online. It's like reading a magazine ... I want the choice of skiping over the ads if I want to (It also annoys me that comics put ads within the comic and not at the end after the letters like some do, but I digress).

I think if one wants to hype your (or another's) website and or comic, one should do it in the HYPE forum. That should also include some random chatter about print comics too. X-Men stuff is not within the subject of reinventing comic art.

Like I said, this is ONLY my opinion and just a rant that has been building up for quite some time. Greg, this is your sandbox and you do what you want with it. Just wanted to get that off my chest. Sorry.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I agree with you on that. Sometimes I err on the side of laziness and forget to move posts to the appropriate forums. I'll try to be better about that.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Holy Toledo, Batman!!! I was just going off on a rant, I did not expect you to completely restructure your whole forum site! Apparently you agree with me ... but I still feel like I was being a bit of a whiner. I guess a whiner with a point. Thank you very much. If you still want my opinion, I like what you did with the place!

:) :D
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Heh. Don't get too pleased with yourself. The restructuring is also due to a suggestion from Scott that I've elaborated on a bit over here.

But I did add the "seeking" fourm specifically to clear up the question of what to do with a post that you pointed out, and it is absolutely true that I should (ideally) be better at enforcing what kinds of posts go in what section of the forums.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Fair enough ... just a lot happened over night. :)
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I also want to add- These forums are sort of a public service that I engage in, so your opinions DO matter. I mean, if I can't serve the members, readers and posters adequately, then there's not much point.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

yeah, man, you really should be doing a better job at this forum thing, greg. i mean, get with it. we've all really been starting to wonder about you and your "forum skills".... sigh.....

just kidding. i love this place.
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

i like the seperated forum

Post by kaos_de_moria »

i like it, because in themain forum hype threads are gone after a very short time, where as in the hype forum they are collected for the moment you have time to look through the posts.

kaos
Teahouse Keeper
Forum Member

Post by Teahouse Keeper »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for creating the Hype forum. I also like your site :D I think it's great!!

Just wondering--how did you get your site busy in the beginning? Did it start out with a lot of people? Or did you promote it like hell?
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

We all owe him money, and reading his site guarrantees that he doesnt add interest.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

The site's been here for a while and eventually people find it. I did a little bit of self-promotion near the start, but not a really serious amount. Of course, most of the traffic these days comes from Scott McCloud's Morning Improv, so I can attest that it always helps to have a more well-known individual pointing your way.
Teahouse Keeper
Forum Member

Post by Teahouse Keeper »

Thanks for the replies, Greg and William :) Greg, may I ask, what sort of self-promotion did you do? (If this question is out of sync with the main subject, I would welcome an email very much! I promise this is the last question) :)