FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
Sky's Poetry For Sale?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv
Previous: PostA formatting suggestion for future imp... Next: PostBusiness comic letters  
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Sky's Poetry For Sale? Reply with quote

I think, if Sky is cool with it, you should. I also think you should consider putting any revenues away for Sky. How cool to be a published paid author at a young age. How about a college fund?

Just a thought.

I don't think anyone could question your ethics if proceeds went to Sky. After all, that's the right thing to do according to the Creator's Bill of Rights.

Tim Mallos' Comics and Stuff
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tim that any profit should go to the artist. Additionally, if Sky's up for it, there's really no reason to poll our opinions. Isn't that part of what micropayments are about?
Scott McCloud
The one and only

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibly, Sky has already won $200 for the poem she wrote on the topic of World Peace at age 8!

I was thinking that a kind of online "bake sale"-style benefit for the school would be cool, because, if it went well, it's a model that could be replicated by other schools. Also, being in California, our local schools need all the help they can get.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Additionally, if Sky's up for it, there's really no reason to poll our opinions. Isn't that part of what micropayments are about?

Market research.

La Mujer Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim and Greg already said what I would say. It's up to Sky if she wants to make her poetry available; and as the artist, she decides what to do with the procedes.

Sounds like the girl will need her own Web site.
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Mujer Coyote wrote:
Tim and Greg already said what I would say. It's up to Sky if she wants to make her poetry available; and as the artist, she decides what to do with the procedes.

Seconded. I think that's all there is to say, really.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott McCloud wrote:
I was thinking that a kind of online "bake sale"-style benefit for the school would be cool, because, if it went well, it's a model that could be replicated by other schools.

Good idea. You'll be getting more kids and their parents involved, then?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? What in the world are you all talking about?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: What in the world we're talking about Reply with quote

Scott posted this on his site today:
Scott McCloud wrote:

10/17: Should I do this? (If I did, all proceeds would go to charity, obviously -- probably our local school). Cool new site, btw. Feedback appreciated.

Bill Mudron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't, i will cry fat-man's tears of gravy.
Creature

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Now I get it! Definitely!
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cast another pro-Sky vote for me. Yeah, Scott, not gonna pressure your kid into relinquishing her profits, are ya?

Hmm. Completely off-topic, but I think I'll write an essay on my blog soon about how internet publishing has personalized my hero-worship. Scott, Cory Doctorow (http://boingboing.net), Todd Webb (http://toddbot.com), and Bill Walsh (http://theslot.com) have all responded to my e-mail and forum posts and thus increased my idolization. It's a new breed of celebrity -- the one deeply known by several thousand fans -- with another interacting core of hundreds -- rather than hardly known by millions.

Wish I could do it as a comic.

(edited cuz I screwed up the URLs)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky McCloud is a cool name! I'd bitpass it just for that.
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sky has a different proffessional name than Scott. I don't think he would have done Sky McCloud to her. Think it's the traditional family name.

You know, Scott. Maybe an "adopt a school" program might work well via bit pass. Is the school hip enough to post art and writings to the Web? It might be cool to pay $0.50 to virtually walk down the hall and look at all the art and poetry hanging along the corridor.

Probably need to be first names only. Other privacy concerns. But might be neat.

Tim

Edit (10-21-2003) Ya know, rereading this, my bright idea seems to be pretty much what Scott was already talking about. So, um, yeah.

Tim Mallos' Comics and Stuff

Last edited by Tim Mallos on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know, Scott. Maybe an "adopt a school" program might work well via bit pass. Is the school hip enough to post art and writings to the Web? It might be cool to pay $0.50 to virtually walk down the hall and look at all the art and poetry hanging along the corridor.
That would be so cool. I know I'd pay for it.
pen ward
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: hey scott Reply with quote

if publishing her poems works out for the best, i'd like to read a book of her comics if she wanted to have those published as well. just a thought.. .. cause i got a kick out of her one about the walrus. and i remember being impressed by the one you showed my class in miniapolis where she drew the guy picking up the hat.

-pen
www.buenothebear.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: