A Bucketful of Kittens

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

T Campbell

A Bucketful of Kittens

Post by T Campbell »

Conflict begins.

There is a skull and crossbones in the opening image.

This isn't going to end pleasantly, is it?

Post by Guest »

Well, of course not. After all, this comic has tried to impression itself as happy and G-rated. Or something like that. So Scott is obviously planning to challenge our assumptions and make this turn out nasty.

Although, possibly he anticipated this sort of guesswork and will keep it all nicey-nice, just to surprise us.

Personally, though, I think those kittens are going to get into heated and angry discussions about whose bucket is best, and end up with homicidal tendencies but be unable to leave their bucket to properly fulfill those tendencies.
meow

a vile pun

Post by meow »

Ooooh, I think this one?s gonna lead up to a... CATFIGHT! (Sorry, couldn?t resist.)
Deets

Y'know what?

Post by Deets »

A friend of mine has a saying about kittens. Here goes:

There are 3 screams when eating a kitten.
The first comes when you break its legs.
The second comes when you dip it head-first into a bowl of hot butter.
The third comes when you take the first bite.

Say that in an ultra-spooky voice, and it just might thrust a small child into an aneurystic state. I have no idea if that's a real word, but it sounds lovely, dunnit?
Alex Duncan
Forum Member

Post by Alex Duncan »

I kind of suspect that the Heart Bucket and Star Bucket kittens are going to have a disagreement over whether to fight with the nasty Dread Pirate Bucket kittens.
Veleno
Frequent Poster

Post by Veleno »

The heart bucket kittens love the star bucket kittens.

The star bucket kittens see themselves as the stars ("Our bucket is the best," etc.)

**wonders if the 3'rd bucket kittens are undead or goth kitties, or something to go with the skull and crossbones**
"The way to a man's heart is through his ribcage"
Haze
Regular Poster

Post by Haze »

anyone else reminded of Junko Mizuno's style? well, just, sort of. not exactly like it. but this improv COULD be sort of like it. depends if the Jolly Roger bucketfull of kittens is something evil yet still cute.
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Post by Tim Tylor »

The Heartbucketeers and the Starbucketeers are going to have a row over searching the Skullbucket for Mittens of Mass Destruction.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Since this strip sprung from the previous Improv, which caused some heated political debate, I wonder if Buckett Full O' Kittens is actually a political allegory. Now which bucket represents the Liberals and which one represents the Conservatives?
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Random Dent
Forum Member

Post by Random Dent »

I'm going for war. And as for allegory? Why, the Cold war! "Our way of government is best!" "No, our way of government is best!"

It'll give Scott a chance to draw a <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/m ... tml">large explosion</a>
"One can not be a good dicator and design women's underclothings."
-Jeeves, The Code of the Woosters
gareis
Regular Poster

Post by gareis »

It's a rehash of Robots Love to Dance.
Alex Duncan
Forum Member

Drop shadows

Post by Alex Duncan »

I was just noticing the drop shadows on the buckets. They're kind of funny... they give the impression that the buckets are floating in air, right in front of a backdrop. Since the drop shadow is the same on both buckets, it seems to indicate that the Heart bucket is the same distance away as the Star bucket and that the Heart bucket and kittens are much smaller, which fights with the tendency to see it set back in perspective.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Rip Tanion wrote:I wonder if Bucket Full O' Kittens is actually a political allegory. Now which bucket represents the Liberals and which one represents the Conservatives?
It looks like it might be an allegory, but as of the 30th, it might be about America and (so called) "old Europe." Hard to tell at this point.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
KiruBanzai

Post by KiruBanzai »

Maybe it's just coming off the Accidental Dentist, but I see a political message in this particular bucketful of kittens. Shortly, the blue kitten will make all the other kittens pledge allegiance to the bucket (adding in "one bucket, under star" to differentiate us from those damn godless commie heart bucket kitties), and disseminate propaganda against other buckets of kitties. Then comes the space race.

Keep watching the skies.
IronSpike
Regular Poster

Post by IronSpike »

Since this is the comic formally endorsed by Ashcroft in the previous Improv, Star Bucket'll probably invade Heart Bucket on the flimsy pretense of black market yarn-trading and set up a puppet government composed entirely of jingle balls.
Cyborg Caveman
Frequent Poster

Post by Cyborg Caveman »

Hah! The Skull and Crossbones bucket has attacked using advanced rock weaponry afforded by being funded by both the Heart and Star buckets at different times back when their bucket was the proxy battlefield between Heart and Star before the big two became friends. Glastnost (sp?) dontchaknow.
Greg O.

Post by Guest »

Did anyone else noticed that in the "Star bucket kittens, to battle!" panel, one of the kitties is missing?
Connor Moran
Frequent Poster

Post by Connor Moran »

Anonymous wrote:Did anyone else noticed that in the "Star bucket kittens, to battle!" panel, one of the kitties is missing?
The red one is missing, which is the same one that treasonously suggested that the heart bucket kitties might actually be better than the star bucket kitties. Apparently his/her treason goes even deeper.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

I like these Star bucketeers. They don't take any shit. They ain't afraid to take names and kick ass, by jingo! If someone threw a rock at my bucket, they'd get what was coming to them, but good.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Icepick

Which Bucket is Best

Post by Icepick »

I'm sure Scott is also dealing with this sense of superiority American has. Since we were little kids, we have always been told that America is the best country in the world. I don't argue that we are one of the richest and most powerful countries in the world, and have one of the best forms of government, but isn't "best" kind of subjective? There are other countries that excel in things we havent figured out yet.
Christopher Lundgren
Frequent Poster

They're alweez ahfter me lucky buckets!

Post by Christopher Lundgren »

So far we have a star bucket, a heart bucket, and a moon bucket. What's next, purple horse shoes? :wink:
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

With the cresent buckets, the veil of our story is getting thinner and thinner. The kittens of the prophet have been revealed. I'm intersted as to where Scott's liberal sentiments will take us next.

Personally, I think, while not perfect (who is?), the United States IS the greatest country in the world. Why else is the rest of the world knocking down the door to come here? A lot of people don't appreciate this country for what it is and that is sad.

My grandparents came here in the 1920s. They lived through the horrors that were Tsarist Russia, and the bloody revolution that brought it down. My grandmother swore she would never go back there and she never did. No child should have to live the way she did, before finally escaping and coming here as a young woman. Few people love and appreciate this country the way she did.

Myself, I thank God everyday that my ancestors made, what at that time was, the long and arduous journey to come to Freedom's Shore.
Icepick

Post by Icepick »

You are right that the greatness of America is shown by the number of people fighting to come here. And that mixture of so many cultures makes us unique among other countries.

But is it true that Americans appreciate their country to such an extent that they dismiss the unique characteristics and contributions of the rest of the world?
justanothercrowd

Post by justanothercrowd »

It is possible to make Great things even better.