A Bucketful of Kittens

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

icepick
Regular Poster

Only one dissenting kitten?

Post by icepick »

Anonymous wrote:This can't be a political allegory. If it were there would be more than one dissenting Star bucket kitten.
You see, this is one of the parts of the comic thats almost true, there's only one dissenting kitten, but he sounds like many more. Just like it seems like there are more protesters against the war than supporters, but thats mainly on account of the volume of their protests.
"I would rather die fighting on my feet than live the rest of my life on my knees"-Emiliano Zapata
justanothercrowd

Post by justanothercrowd »

depending on which poll you follow anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 kittens should have stayed in the bucket.

But believe polls is something like going to McDonalds for dieting advice.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Re: "You fallen into my trap! You 'heroes' are so predi

Post by Rip Tanion »

You know, for all intents and purposes, Scott might not actually be taking this particular Improv seriously. For all you know, he might just be winding up everybody, and trying to get the more contentious members of this particular thread riled up for no particular reason other than his sadistic amusement. He wouldn't have stayed in power without learning some deviousness, you know. For all you know, he's probably stroking his doggy, Wuffles and laughing like Dr. Evil, while you yahoos tear each other up like felines sprayed with catnip inside a burlap bag, while looking like utter nitwits in the process.
No doubt about it. I tried to warn you all about The Dark Lord Scottron last September, but you all thought I was nuts. Who's crazy now, see? Mnyaah!
But believe polls is something like going to McDonalds for dieting advice.
Tell that to Bill Clinton. He based his entire presidency on polls (not to mention getting his "poll waxed"). Of course, he also based his entire diet on McDonald's (yecch!)

Meanwhile, it looks like the litter has hit the fan for the Bleeding Heart Bucket. Meeeeyow, baby.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
DavidMcG
Forum Member

Re: Only one dissenting kitten?

Post by DavidMcG »

icepick wrote:Just like it seems like there are more protesters against the war than supporters, but thats mainly on account of the volume of their protests.
That works two ways, you know.
It seems like there are many more die-hard supporters of the war because they yell so loud.
Most people aren't 100% for or against the war.
<A HREF="http://davidmcguire.studio-zoe.com/">I'm so totally awesome.</A>
simrob
Forum Member

Post by simrob »

There is an element where this is at least an incomplete allegory, as they all are I suppose - but if this was the true modern political situation, the red and blue kittens would be switched, as "red" has come to mean people and states that support Republicans, and "blue" people and states that support Democrats...

The blue kitten has the FACE OF DEATH. However, there seems to be dissent within the ranks. The gray kitten is looking away "I have my own agenda"-like, and the pink kitten is fading into the background as it's bucket ancestors ("bucketcestors"?) are intimidated.

Re: They're alweez ahfter me lucky buckets!

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I wonder if Scott McCloud is using the Crescent Moon icon in the same way it was alleged that Johnny Hart did in his controversial BC strip recently? He is certainly too good an artist not to choose his imagery with subtle intent in mind.
Yeah, when I realized that about the crescent, it cracked me up. Scott, that's the funniest thing I've seen here since "Man-eating Shoes" (which had me rolling. Really).
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

Sorry, that last note was mine.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

DavidMcG wrote:Most people aren't 100% for or against the war.
I am. SkraaawwwwK! (that my best Hawk imitation)
icepick wrote:Just like it seems like there are more protesters against the war than supporters, but thats mainly on account of the volume of their protests.
Silent majority baby!

My biggest problem with the anti-war protesters, back when the war was "hot", was not as much that they opposed the war, but more for who they kept company with. The protest marches in Manhattan, at least, were filled with Bolsheviks, carring the hammer and sickle; anarchists; people carrying signs with Bush dressed up as Hitler; jihadists carring the Entifada flag, flattering pictures of Arafat and Saddam, and anti-Semetic slogans; and other assorted "professional protesters". Granted these extremists were a minority, but the were noticebly represented, and mixed in with the more mainstream protesters. Worse, it didn't seem the mainstream protesters had any problem with marching side by side with the nut-jobs. Perhaps the most outrageous thing was that there was not one sign (with the exception of counter demonstrators) condemning Saddam and his regime for all the murder, torture and rape that it perpertrated on the people of Iraq.

What is the main concern of the anti-war people? They claim it's the Iraqi people. The claim that the Iraqi people have suffered because of the war. Well then why aren't they concerned about the all the suffering of the Iraqi's under Saddam? I'm sure there are many anti-war people who are anti-Saddam as well, but the protesters I saw here New York, at least, didn't really give me that impression.

Yes, it's true, and sad, that there were many innocent Iraqis who did die as a result of the war. But how many more are alive and free today because we toppled that regime? Iraqis now have the possibilty for a better future for their children.

The cold, hard fact of history is, that nobody gains there freedom without some bloodshed. There are always those unfortunates who get sacraficed.
It doesn't matter whether you liberate yourself, or are liberated by someone else; there is alwys a price.
Blue Kittie wrote:Anyone else wanna piece of me?? Hanh? Hanh?
and special guest star Edward G. Robinslayer, as the Blue Kitten.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
dag_yo

Post by dag_yo »

Rip Tanion wrote:The cold, hard fact of history is, that nobody gains there freedom without some bloodshed. There are always those unfortunates who get sacraficed.
It doesn't matter whether you liberate yourself, or are liberated by someone else; there is alwys a price.
coughCANADAcough

I'm sure that we aren't the only example, either. I just don't have the time or patience to check that out.
Doc MacDougal
Frequent Poster

Post by Doc MacDougal »

Oh, there was a price, dag_yo. Why, we had to pay for Sir John A to travel all the way to Britain and ask.
icepick
Regular Poster

Canadian Independence

Post by icepick »

I heard Mike Meyers say once that it was hard for Canadians to understand the strong feelings we have toward the American Revolution, since they had won their independence through discussions and council meetings.
"I would rather die fighting on my feet than live the rest of my life on my knees"-Emiliano Zapata
Bjorn
Regular Poster

Post by Bjorn »

Same for Iceland, we got our independence through discussions. Very heated discussions sometimes, sure. But no bloodshed.

Then again, it depends on how you look at it. Of course, We didn't really have the option to fight as we didn't have an army (and even if we did, a tiny danish village should have been enough to hold us back). But more importantly, Denmark didn't really have the means to control us as Germany had occupied them... Maybe that was the inevitable bloodshed? World War Two? :-?
Aquilo
Forum Member

Post by Aquilo »

Look at all of the new buckets! Here is my guess of who they all are. The first four we have already talked about. The rest are the countries that have the majority of their population against the war (some of which joined anyway).

Star: United States
Red Star Kitten: Americans agents the war.
Heart: Great Britain (91% opposed the war if the U.N. did, joined anyway)
Brown Moon: Afghanistan (Although they joined the States agents Iraq)
Grey Moon: Iraq

Lollypop: France
Flower: Africa as a whole
Clover: Ireland
Happy Face: The rest of Europe
Hand: China
Bird: Mexico
Sun: Japan (70% opposed the war, joined anyway)
Crystal: South America as a whole
Leaf: Canada
Rocket: Russia
Fish: Australia (70% opposed the war, joined anyway)
zerofoks
Frequent Poster

Post by zerofoks »

Where's the Swastika bucket?
<a href="http://www.radicalartistfoundation.de/zero.htm" target=_blank">zerofoks @ the Radical Artist Foundation</a>
simrob
Forum Member

Post by simrob »

Aquilo wrote:Look at all of the new buckets! Here is my guess of who they all are.
I think Scott woke up really happy this morning, knowing that someone was going to try to do that.

Post by Guest »

Rip Tanion wrote: Don't worry, you'll all be rounded up and taken to my re-education classes once I sieze power, anyway.
Thanks for bringing your inner fascism to the surface!
icepick
Regular Poster

Different buckets

Post by icepick »

I have no idea what bucket represents what country. Not even gonna try.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

zerofoks wrote:Where's the Swastika bucket?
The star buckets, along with the bulls-eye and hammer-and-sickle buckets, took care of those clowns a long time ago. I hope you Germans aren't getting nostalgic. :wink:
Anonymous wrote:
Rip Tanion wrote: Don't worry, you'll all be rounded up and taken to my re-education classes once I sieze power, anyway.
And the fact that you posted anonymously brings your inner cowardice to the surface...who ever you are.

Gees, don't you know a gag when you see it? Or are you stupid, too? (hey, it ain't a flame if it's aimed at someone who doesn't exist!)

Seriously, though, if you look at history it's usually the communists who are big on RE-education. Just look at the old Soviet Union, Castro's Cuba, China under Mao, and American universities under left-wing professors.

BTW, where are the Six-sided star (Mogen David) buckets?
"Vat are ve, chopped liver? You goyisher bastids!"
Bjorn
Regular Poster

Post by Bjorn »

Just found this: http://www.pabaah.com/

Careful Scott, if they found PABAAC you're bound to be on their list :D
mecherath
Forum Member

Post by mecherath »

Rip Tanion wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
And the fact that you posted anonymously brings your inner cowardice to the surface...who ever you are.
Heh, assuming you were joking in your quote, why couldn't have have been joking in his?

And there was just a disucssion recently about not jumping on people who post anonymously. They might have forgotten to log in, or they might not want their 200th on-line account. Probably better if he had signed the post at the bottom, but eh...
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Bjorn wrote:Just found this: http://www.pabaah.com/

Careful Scott, if they found PABAAC you're bound to be on their list :D
Scott might be a liberal, but I wouldn't lump him in with these out-of-touch Ivory Tower Hollywood hypocrite looney leftists on the list (not yet, anyway). They're the reason I rarely go to the movies anymore (that and the fact I don't feel like shelling out $11 to see bad movies). I think betray might be too strong of a word for most of these people, but there two or three on that list where the word could definatly apply.

Here are some of the names on list, along with my enlightened comments...
Martin Sheen - someone should tell this father of a whorechaser that he's not the President. He just plays one on T.V.
Alec Baldwin - a real rocket-scientist here. Tells people that they should go and kill members of Congress.
Sean Penn - this guy is about as smart as Jeff Spicoli
Susan Sarandon - are her boobs drooped down to ground yet? I think she would be the perfect choice for the Angela Lansbury role (the power-mad commie-mommy) in the upcoming re-make of Manchurian Candidate. Her, or Hillary Clinton.
Woody Harrelson - do another bong hit, Woody. Ain't his dad a murderer?
Mike Farrell - this guy ruined M*A*S*H! B.J. Honeycutt was one of the most unfunny characters in the history of sit-coms. What a bore!
Barbara Streisand - queen of the yenta calabentas. A voice so shrill that it straightens peyos.
Ed Asner - Ed's a funny guy, and a great actor, but he's out of mind. Personally, I love the Death Penalty, Ed.
Casey Kasem - a guy who's only talent is counting backwards. Fuckin' ponderous!
Michael Moore - this fat-fuck should be at the top of the list! His movies are unwatchable. I know someone who lives on the West Side, where Moore has an apartment. He told me he's seen Moore in the neighborhood several times. He says you can smell him coming from three blocks away. I guess there ain't a bath tub big enough to hold his smelly ass.
Harry Belafonte - a two hit wonder. Daaaaaaaayyyyyyy-O!
Jane Fonda - good ol' Hanoi Jane, giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
Kevin Spacey - one of the most over-rated actors of our time. I must admit, however, he does an exellent Burt Lancaster impression.
Jennifer Aniston - her age matches her IQ.
Jackson Browne - didn't he used to smack around Daryl Hannah? Yeah, he's really great guy. His career's been Running On Empty for years.
Ed Norton - tell this one dimensional clown to go back to work in the sewer. He's an insult to Art Carney's memory.
Charles S. Dutton - didn't he do time for murder?
Chevy Chase - I boycotted his movies for years; basically because I never thought he was funny.
Janeane Garafalo - someone should tell her to wash her face and hair now and again.
Elliott Gould - I saw this guy walking out of the Plaza Hotel on 5th Ave once. He looked like a disheveled bum. Hey, Elliot, you've got money. Buy an ironing board.
Anjelica Huston - If it wasn't for her daddy, she'd be a chain-smoking waitress at the IHOP.
Dave Matthews - oy, vey! This guy should be executed for foisting bad music upon the masses.
F. Murray Abraham - is he still alive?
Marsha Mason - is she still alive?
Ed O'?Neill - Al Bundy. 'Nuff said.
Carl Reiner - fathered a meathead.
Julia Roberts - if the Joker had a daughter...

Bottom line: Most actors a real dopes. They took drama classes because they were too dumb to pass any other classes. These people really have nothing to say, unless they are reading somebody else's words. Somebody should tell these clowns they they play pretend for a living, and nobody but a moron gives a rat's ass what they have to say. I long for the good old days of the nineteenth century, when the acting profession was less respected by society then prostitution.

As for Scott, I think he's just a harmless hippie (I used to be a hippie, but I'm alright now) who's been out in L.A. L.A. Land too long (either that, or he's that affore mentioned evil genius). I mean, only a hippie would name his kid Sky. Hmmm, Scott McZappa? :wink:
Bjorn
Regular Poster

Post by Bjorn »

Oh. My. God.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Count to ten, y'all.
Fat Head

Post by Fat Head »

Wow, Rip,you're really "out-there" man. Is this your homework assignment for the Don Rickles School of Insult Comedy? Don't worry, Scott, from what I've seen of Ripsters previous replies, he's probobly just kidding you.We all know you are not a harmless hippie, but an evil genius bent on taking over the world.