FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
A Bucketful of Kittens Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv
Previous: PostA house full of McClouds Next: PostMerlin's Tarquin Engine  
Author Message
icepick
Regular Poster


Joined: 06 Jan 2004
Posts: 34
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Changing the subject..... Reply with quote



Ok, changing the subject. There is nothing wrong an organization that maintains a "black" list of entertainers, and companies that do not support their causes. If entertainers and companies deal in the public arena and benefit from publicity, they need to suffer from their actions if they support the wrong causes. The Million Mom March recently made a big fat hairy deal about the NRA's black list . They have had that list for years, its not like they are telling their members to go use their rifles on the celebrities, instead they wont spend their money to support those companies and . A black list like this is an important way to cause political change for both conservatives and liberals.
_________________
"I would rather die fighting on my feet than live the rest of my life on my knees"-Emiliano Zapata
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster


Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Posts: 169
Location: Grove City College, PA, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Scott just opened a box of Lucky Charms and started drawing. I mean, even Scott wouldn't bother crafting a dozen meaningful bucket symbols.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
simrob
Forum Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 10
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DecafSilicon wrote:
I think Scott just opened a box of Lucky Charms and started drawing. I mean, even Scott wouldn't bother crafting a dozen meaningful bucket symbols.


I don't know, Rip will certainly take the time to say something personally negative about each of 30 or so (no, I didn't count) different celebrities, so Scott having a specific meaning for a dozen symbold doesn't seem to unrealistic to me .

Back to a point made earlier - Rip, you say you're entirely, no-holds-barred, not even the slightest bit of discomfort for the war. Obviously you disagree with people against the war - but do you also disagree with people that think it's probably not a terrible idea but nevertheless have some big reservations about our actions/our government/our unilaterialsm?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest






PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simrob wrote:
Rip, you say you're entirely, no-holds-barred, not even the slightest bit of discomfort for the war. Obviously you disagree with people against the war - but do you also disagree with people that think it's probably not a terrible idea but nevertheless have some big reservations about our actions/our government/our unilaterialsm?


Maybe Rip's views are really more of a pastime than a passion. I think since it's illegal to bait bears in most of the country, Rip just developed a hobby almost as fun: Baiting Liberals...
Back to top
icepick
Regular Poster


Joined: 06 Jan 2004
Posts: 34
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Liberal Baiting Reply with quote

That was my post-forgot to log in-sorry
_________________
"I would rather die fighting on my feet than live the rest of my life on my knees"-Emiliano Zapata
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avram
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Rip is a pretty classic troll. No way of knowing whether he actually believes that nonsense he?s spouting, but the primary reason he?s spouting it is to get a rise out of people.
Back to top
Bumblejumper
Regular Poster


Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Don't get personal, man. Reply with quote

Rip Tanion wrote:
Bottom line: Most actors a real dopes. They took drama classes because they were too dumb to pass any other classes. These people really have nothing to say, unless they are reading somebody else's words. Somebody should tell these clowns they they play pretend for a living, and nobody but a moron gives a rat's ass what they have to say. I long for the good old days of the nineteenth century, when the acting profession was less respected by society then prostitution.


As a professional actor, I take offense at this remark. Most actors I know are bright and observant--and I'd like to see you have the guts to do what we do in front of an audience night after night.

There's no need to bash an entire profession just because you don't like Susan Sarandon's political views.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Empirical
Forum Member


Joined: 11 Dec 2003
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avram wrote:
Yeah, Rip is a pretty classic troll. No way of knowing whether he actually believes that nonsense he?s spouting, but the primary reason he?s spouting it is to get a rise out of people.


Precisely why I don't believe his posts are worth reading or responding to.
_________________
Chronal Howitzer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cyborg Caveman
Frequent Poster


Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Posts: 54
Location: Somewhere in the Pleistocene Era

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip Tanion wrote:
Gees, don't you know a gag when you see it? Or are you stupid, too? (hey, it ain't a flame if it's aimed at someone who doesn't exist!)


There is a lot of truth revealed in humor, especially insight into the person telling the 'joke'. For the most part I personally think you're pretty damn funny, Rip, which is a good thing since it makes it hard to take anything you say seriously.
_________________
Greg O.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Christopher Lundgren
Frequent Poster


Joined: 04 Apr 2002
Posts: 76
Location: Portland, Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see Rip performing at the Laff Shack for the rest of the week, ladies and gentleman. My favorite part is when he does the bit about always getting the shopping cart with the bad wheel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Empirical
Forum Member


Joined: 11 Dec 2003
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the subject at hand, is the improv over? The allegory has caught up to where we are in reality; with all the other buckets cowering in fear of US. Does it end here, or do the other buckets put aside their differences and address the common threat?

The political stuff has been fun, but I think I'm ready for something a bit lighter next.
_________________
Chronal Howitzer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 3861
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip's admitted several times that he enjoys a good argument, so I'd say you're at least partly right about his motives in these politically-oriented threads, but I'd caution against use of the word "troll" since that's most often a pejorative term and is often taken and given as a personal insult.

However- calling a spade a spade for a moment, Rip- I think that by the strict definition of the word, it is probably true that some of your (Rip's) posts may be identified thusly:
Quote:
The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.


Now to Rip's comments on actors: They may be just words and they may not be about people who read this forum, but you were over the top and it would be good if you could tone down the hyperbole some.
_________________
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.


Last edited by Greg Stephens on Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyborg Caveman
Frequent Poster


Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Posts: 54
Location: Somewhere in the Pleistocene Era

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Empirical wrote:
Back to the subject at hand, is the improv over? The allegory has caught up to where we are in reality; with all the other buckets cowering in fear of US. Does it end here, or do the other buckets put aside their differences and address the common threat?


The idea that the rest of the world is cowering in fear of the US is more of a hawkish American fantasy than anything else. I'd liken it to how people harp on and on about how "man will one day destroy the earth" - - it is nothing more than vanity on the part of man. We might destroy ourselves, but the earth will continue wether or not life as we know it still exists.

As far as the current Improv, it does indeed seem to be over, but without the little notice saying so there is still the possibility of some last minute joke before - - whichever of the two current frontrunners 'takes office'.
_________________
Greg O.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing


Joined: 23 Apr 2001
Posts: 354
Location: Brighton, Michigan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Hmmm. Reply with quote

I wonder what the "proper" strategy tag line should be.

If not "Peace Through Strength" perhaps

"Peace Through Weakness"

no, no, that doesn't work.

"War through Weakness"

Well, maybe, but that wont sell.

"War Through Strength"

Hmm. I guess you may need War to restablish Strength if you've been doing the weakness thing. But, that's not poplular with a lot of people.

"Be nice and everyone will be nice to you"

Hmmm.

"Turn [or spread] the other cheek"

er...

"The Problem is Really Complex - Do nothing"

I can't figure this out. Help anyone?


Tim
_________________

Tim Mallos' Comics and Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Avram
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I know what ?troll? means, and I used that word because I meant it.

If Rip really enjoyed ?a good argument?, then he?d engage in good argument ? he?d argue from facts, he?d avoid overly-broad slurs, etc. Instead, I see him compiling lists of irrelevant complaints against various actors, and complaining about nations that lack ?heart?. That?s not good argument, that?s trolling.
Back to top
icepick
Regular Poster


Joined: 06 Jan 2004
Posts: 34
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I think you were looking for something like this:

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
_________________
"I would rather die fighting on my feet than live the rest of my life on my knees"-Emiliano Zapata
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 352
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: non-un-american Reply with quote

Cyborg Caveman wrote:
The idea that the rest of the world is cowering in fear of the US is more of a hawkish American fantasy than anything else.


You have to remember that this is sort of a continuation of the last comic The Accidental Dentist. This was Ashcroft's officially approved non-un-American replacement.

(non-un-american?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing


Joined: 23 Apr 2001
Posts: 354
Location: Brighton, Michigan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those are more good examples of lampooning sloganism.

But I was asking, in a silly way, can anyone offer a good slogan for the way things "really should be" - in their opinions.

Does the "right" way of conducting ourselves as a nation defy sloganizing?

Is it too complex to relate in a simple tag line?

Personally, I lean toward the "Club and Olive Branch" approach to the world - one in each hand, leading with the Olive Branch, but clubbing when clubbed. (Not saying we were clubbed by Iraq BTW)

Still Tim.
_________________

Tim Mallos' Comics and Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Empirical
Forum Member


Joined: 11 Dec 2003
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyborg Caveman wrote:
The idea that the rest of the world is cowering in fear of the US is more of a hawkish American fantasy than anything else.


To paraphrase the North Korean foreign minister, "You called us part of the 'Axis of Evil'. OF COURSE we have a nuclear program! We have to be able to defend ourselves from American aggression! What the Hell did you EXPECT us to do?"

Paraphrasing pretty freely, of course, but that's the sentiment he expressed.

People lash out at what they fear. That's why so many people support Bush's fictional "war on terror." We've made ourselves the scariest country in the world. Prepare for backlash.
_________________
Chronal Howitzer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cyborg Caveman
Frequent Poster


Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Posts: 54
Location: Somewhere in the Pleistocene Era

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Mallos wrote:
Yeah, those are more good examples of lampooning sloganism.

But I was asking, in a silly way, can anyone offer a good slogan for the way things "really should be" - in their opinions.


"Be excellent to each other!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.
_________________
Greg O.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 3861
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Mallos wrote:
Is it too complex to relate in a simple tag line?

I'm fond of "Think!" as in:

_________________
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyborg Caveman
Frequent Poster


Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Posts: 54
Location: Somewhere in the Pleistocene Era

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: I'm just a quotin' fool today! Reply with quote

Dr. Empirical wrote:
People lash out at what they fear. That's why so many people support Bush's fictional "war on terror." We've made ourselves the scariest country in the world. Prepare for backlash.


He of whom many are afraid ought to fear many. - - Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
_________________
Greg O.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Connor Moran
Frequent Poster


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyborg Caveman wrote:


"Be excellent to each other!"


"And Party On"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simrob
Forum Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2004
Posts: 10
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Greg, I know what ?troll? means, and I used that word because I meant it.

If Rip really enjoyed ?a good argument?, then he?d engage in good argument ? he?d argue from facts, he?d avoid overly-broad slurs, etc. Instead, I see him compiling lists of irrelevant complaints against various actors, and complaining about nations that lack ?heart?. That?s not good argument, that?s trolling.


Hmm... and I guess I would be the one revealing myself as a stupid newbie (re: the previous definition of troll), but my intention was something akin to bluff-calling. I was wondering if a forum like this could actually be used for constructive debate, I guess it can't.

So, yay for kittens? I'm guessing the post is over, because it's returned to the end of the previous comic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group