We want you for YOUR COMIC HERE!

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

losttoy
Understands reinventing

We want you for YOUR COMIC HERE!

Post by losttoy »

Here I go again ... I have to hype!!!

The Premise
Not being able to post something on a regular basis, I have came up with something else: reader interaction. The idea is stolen from Zwol's No Contest comics, but Greg does not mind. Afterall, it was here at Zwol I had my first web comic published about a year in a half ago. Now with Your Comic Here my site can look busy and updated, while inspiring other artists to create.

WE WANT YOU!
Whether you are a complete amature, a weekend artist or a professional, I am looking for one shot, stand alone comic strips. It can be any theme at all, however can not use established characters from your own web site or publication. Just e-mail me a 72dpi file, no larger than 760 pixels wide. If I like it, I will post it on my site. Simple as that. Art will remain copyright of the artist and you can publish it in any fashion, saving a right for me to keep a copy in an online archive with a link to help promote any of your other websites. Submit something to dalosttoy@yahoo.com.

The Artists So Far:
11/23/03 - Kenn Minter
11/30/03 - Sydney Ano
12/7/03 - Peter Conrad
12/14/03 - Raymond Tan
12/21/03 - Michael Patrick

The Upcoming Schedule:
12/28/03 - Steve Seck
1/4/04 - Bill Duncan

After that ... what about you? WE WANT YOU! It is after all Your Comic Here. Your first web comic? Have something that does not fit with the rest of your site? Looking for extra exposure?

I am really impressed by the submissions and interest I have gotten so far. So what about you? Are you reading us? Are you going to send the next submission? There has not been a comic that I have not liked yet. So what are you waiting for?

I think more people should be interested in this ... draw a comic, get it published. NO hassle of signing up for a web-site, designing your archive pages, or any of that pesky html.

Never drawn a comic before? Can you draw a stick figure? Maybe do a collage. It can be any style or form.

Perhaps you are looking for new readers. Once this gets rolling I can imagine a lot of surfing.

So is there anybody out there? Comments, suggestions, hate mail? We want you!

/hype
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Arg! I can't control it ... I MUST hype!

1/11/04 was a nice little comic illustrated by Patrick Findlay from a Poem by Robert Frost. Hey, I cann now say I have one of the world's greatest poets submitting to my site, right?

1/18/04 is a cute little comic by Kris Lachowski. I am not sure what to say for this comic other than I like it. What about you?

See it at Your Comic Here!!!

Oh yeah ... we are looking for more comics. Submit!
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

No replies to this topic? Oh well, maybe this one will get people talking ...

A new Your Comic Here and the second by artist Raymond Tan is up this week. Once in a while you find an inventive comic that gets people thinking. "The Blotch Job" is one of those comics. Like it or not, it is a very sucessfully provocative comic. Any comments?

I was a bit apprehensive about having a repeat artist so early in the game, but when no one submitted a comic this week, Raymond got the green light. Which means we need more submissions. Which also means
that your comic is a shoe in (even if you have already submitted before). If I do not get a submission by next week, I will post an unpublished this FlatEarth.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I guess nobody wants me to post my this FlatEarth comics. :P

EGAD, COMICS!!!

Last week, I just about figured that Your Comic Here was a fad and was about to fade away. Nobody had sent submissions. I was wondering what I was going to do with the site. Until ....

This week I got five beautiful comics. People from Austrailia, India, Finland, and the US, all submitting comics to my humble little site. I have so many comics that I do not even know what to do with them. Well, actualy I do know what to do: post them, hype them, and praise them.

This week we have a beautiful comic by Jyri Pieniniemi. "It's a Toaster's Life" is just one of those comics that just masterfuly put together. I love the line art and how the story flows. It's optimistic and cynical at the same time. Good job Jyri.

Any comments?

Here is the upcoming schedule:
2/1/04: Jyri Pieniniemi
2/8/04: Girish Shambu
2/15/04: Mat Clyde
2/22/04: Edward J. Grug III
2/29/04: Donnell Hudson

And more coming after that! Thanks to everybody for reading, submitting, and your interest in this site. I am a happy man.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

whoops double post (edit and delete)
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Re: We want you for YOUR COMIC HERE!

Post by Eric F Myers »

losttoy wrote:So is there anybody out there? Comments, suggestions, hate mail?
Hey David, they all look great. And just because people aren't talking, it doesn't mean that they're not reading. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing more. (That goes for your own comics too.)
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

David, I want to comment on comics on the page. For instance, the toaster comic is brilliant in its unexpected ending, which smacks the reader upside the head and says "Just because the metaphor used throughout this comic was interesting and clever, and just because the unadorned art and layout were decent, you thought this would be a straightforward last panel, eh? Well screw you!"

Sorry to all of you who must now read the toaster comic for the first time, expecting a surprise ending.

Anyway, can you go to Haloscan and put a comment box on the front page so other people can share better comments than mine?
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Thanks for the feedback. You really put your finger on what I have been feeling since I first saw this comic, but could not put to words. Thanks.

As for the Haloscan .... I'm thinking about it
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

This week we have a comic from Girish Shambu. He has strong iconic images merging and developing the story in a wonderful way to present a comic. Very creative.

It is all at www.geocities.com/yourcomichere

More comics to come next week. Thanks for reading. :)
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

A question ... has anybody gotten an error message when trying to veiw my site? Geocities limits the bandwidth of what info I can send out per hour and I want to know if anybody has had trouble veiwing the site. I never worried about such stuff since I never got too many visiting my site at one time. I am have to shell out cash to get a better server space ... that is, if people have been getting error messages.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

This comic from Mat Barton (not Clyde) made me and my wife laugh out loud. In these days it is rare to find a gag comic that has noty been done already and actualy surprizes you. Good job Mat.

I'm still getting submissions and still taking them. Thanks for reading.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

First thing, I need to appologize for the lateness of this week's Your Comic Here update. I have no excuse other than absent mindedness. This week's cool comic is from Donnell Hudson. Tell him he did a good job, he is one of those humble types.

Next week's Your Comic Here is a comic by David Recine. After that I have a submission, but the artist acccidently cropped off the top while scanning and has not responded to my e-mail. So either that artist will have to contact me, or I will have to run another comic. Which means, we need your submissions!

Second thing, I want to announce that I will start posting a comic of my very own at my own site Losttoy. It's called 24 Minute Comics (because who has time for 24 hours?). Taken from Scott McCloud's creation of 24 Hour Comics. The idea is to create a complete comic in 24 continuous minutes (or your next comic is free). No preconceptions of the comic comes before those 24 minutes, so do not expect anything of quality ... just hopefully something fun. 24 Minute Comics start next Wednesday and post on a weekly basis.

See you then!
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I am a bit late on this weeks update. We had a late meeting at the Michigan Web Comics and I did not get to sleep until 5am.

This week's You Comic Here is from David Recine. It is a very charming comic with a very Walt Kelly feel to it. Check out "Pig Goes Fishing" at You Comic Here.
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

LOL

Post by kaos_de_moria »

what a strange end. i expected this 'pig, fish, boy, turtle' tale to end with a happy ending for all sides. but... great... good laugh!

kaos
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

A program note: Due to some bad website administration due to yours truely, David Recine's comic, "Pig Goes Fishing" did not link to properly last week. I fixed the problem and "Pig Goes Fishing" will stay up on the Your Comic Here front page for another week. Sorry for the mix up.
Last edited by losttoy on Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

This week's Your Comic Here is brought to you by Vitor Mazzeo Viana. Vitor comes from the southern land of Brazil brings us our first 3D comic. Well not really 3D because it is still on a flat screen. I wonder if those hidden images posters you see at the mall would work on a website ...
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Due to recent submissions, I have had to come up with some moral guidelines. I am usually one to not censor an artists expression. However I also want to think about my readers and what kind of taste I want to portray in this project. While I am not the artist on this project, I am still the publisher and my name goes on the page. So I have to think about at
least some moral sensibilities when presenting a comic. The following are issues while it will not automatically get a comic rejected, but I will usually have to think twice about publishing. I am not saying a comic has to be politicaly correct. I like to push the edge with editoral comics or comics that use "bad" language. However here are some issues to consider ...

Drugs: I have had two submission to this date that I had to reject solely on their drug use. Use of drugs must have a strong political statement, preferably showing the negative consequences of the drug. However a comic depicting a positive use of drugs (except in medical use) or a comic depicting the use without there being a negetive aspect will be rejected.

Trademarked or copyrighted images: This will usually disqualify a comic in a second, however there are some loop holes in cases like art with political commentary.

Racism: It is an ugly thing and I do not tolerate it. If there is a well written comic that faces the issue of racism without promoting bigotry, I want it. Although, a comic that stereotypes characters without a good reason will get rejected.

Anything demeaning to women: This does not mean no nudity, however it is stating that I do not like the exploitation of women. I think the media does this too much. Let us use commercials as an example. If one is selling a product that part of the selling point is sexuality (like underwear or perfume), it is okay to show that sexuality with some limits. However, if one is selling a product that does not have to do with sexuality (like fabric softener or beer) it is inappropriate to show a girl bouncing around in a bikini. There just comes a point of whether you are selling the product or selling the girl. In stories and art, if nudity is appropriate for the story and is tasteful, then it is okay. However, nudity for the sake of nudity is not good.

I think the matter of making a comic about something that might be in the gray area of moral values, just make sure it is done in good taste. I like editorial comics, I like comics that push the way people think.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Your Comic Here has gone full circle. This week's comic is by none other than Kenn Minter, who was the first Your Comic Here artist when I started this little project back in November. Kenn is the cool man behind many comics, including I'm Not From Here. Kenn is a crazy guy who keeps on coming up with fresh new comics and "Real Life Funnies" is just another example of this. After posting at Your Comic Here, "Ain't it Always the Way" spun into it's own series of comics, so I would not be suprized if we saw more of "Real Life Funnies". Who knows what Kenn has up his sleeve when he launches www.kennminter.com (not up as of this writing). It was an honor having him back in this crazy little comic.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Late again, Your Comic Here is up. A second comic from Kris Lachowski. A cool guy who happens to be in Michigan Web Comics. Kris came in when I was in a pinch for a comic this week. Thanks.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

ha! "Click Here, duh." that button is great! and "How do you explain..." is a good title when I eventually put it on my site that's what i'll use.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I thought you would like the click here button. :) As for the title, you had the title of the last panel which would ruin the "punchline", so I just came up with the next logical title. Thanks again, Kris!
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Another week another Your Comic Here. This week's comic is by diary comic artist Will Dawbarn (aka Wilbur). I wish I had the disapline to do a daily comic like this guy. Check it out! Next week is a comic from Zwol's very own Tim Mallos. Stay tuned.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Just in time for Easter ... Zwol's very own Tim Mallos does Your Comic Here. Nuff said.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

It has been another one of the weeks where the days just fly by ...

The newest Your Comic Here is up. This week is a comic from Steve Langille. Due to some techincal errors, I have decided to keep Tim's comic up on the index for an extra week.

Keep the submissions coming!