International Comic Arts Festival

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

synecdoche
Forum Member

International Comic Arts Festival

Post by synecdoche »

I am a graduate student in western Canada and a few weeks ago I received a call for papers for the International Comic Arts Festival in DC (September 30 - October 2).

I'd love to attend but I don't think it is economically feasible for me. Nevertheless I was curious if anyone around here was going to go (notably Scott).

-Dave
Ben Sutter
Regular Poster

Post by Ben Sutter »

I wish I was sent such notices. I've never even heard of it.
I've decided that signatures are redundant.

Post by Guest »

In case anyone is interested, here is the URL for the conference:
http://go.to/icaf

-dave
Doc MacDougal
Frequent Poster

Post by Doc MacDougal »

Synecdoche, where abouts are you? I'm currently an undergrad at Queen's in the middle of applying to graduate school for next year, intending to study Canadian comics.

Depending on how the honours thesis I'm writing right now turns out, I may submit it to ICAF or the CAC. But I'm not sure if it's going to actually be any good or not yet.
Not registered

Post by Not registered »

Doc MacDougal wrote:Synecdoche, where abouts are you? I'm currently an undergrad at Queen's in the middle of applying to graduate school for next year, intending to study Canadian comics.

Depending on how the honours thesis I'm writing right now turns out, I may submit it to ICAF or the CAC. But I'm not sure if it's going to actually be any good or not yet.
Followed this link from Scott's site... realized I recognize this "Doc MacDougal character" from Queen's back when I was attending.

So what's up Doc? Last I remember, I thought you were doing film? Is this honours thesis a film thing? How does one apply to study Canadian comics? I didn't even know there were grad school programs like that. And what is the CAC? I'd google search it but there's innumerable CAC's out there... (Forgive me if I sound ignorant about all this - it's been two years since, I studied engineering and currently teach high school science in the middle of nowhere with work filters that deny access to 90% of webcomics out there)

My friend Kean Soo, who you may also remember from Queen's, is currently doing webcomics solo - successfully learning by doing. Your intent to study comics at grad school seems like an intriguing alternative.

The other person at QCF whose name was similar to your real one.
Doc MacDougal
Frequent Poster

Post by Doc MacDougal »

What's going on? Grab my qlink e-mail address from my forum and drop me a line, eh?

Still in Film. The thesis is about seeing what can be learned about comics from the apparatus theory paradigm in film studies, drawing on some film semiology and so forth. I've applied to grad school in communications and cultural studies sorts of departments, and will hopefully not have a problem getting to do my comics-related research in those contexts.

The CAC is the Comic Arts Conference, which is held in tandem with the San Diego Con.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Doc MacDougal wrote:The thesis is about seeing what can be learned about comics from the apparatus theory paradigm in film studies, drawing on some film semiology and so forth.
This is why people call him "Doc."
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Doc MacDougal
Frequent Poster

Post by Doc MacDougal »

Well, someday I hope they'll call me "Doc" because of my academic credentials. In the meantime, though, they call me Doc because of the homebrew medicine I sell out of the back of my station wagon (<-- Dan & Ed super-old Adventure Hour joke).