FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
The Story Machine
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv
Previous: Postcan you guess? Next: PostSteven Grant on the Comic Creator's Bi...  
Zhat
Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: The Story Machine Reply with quote

I was looking over Scott's page again when I re-discoverd thoes story machines. I wished more were shown there, but realised I could just do my own. I dont think I'll ever use it, but it was good fun to make.

If anyone wants to, I thoght someone could claim a side and continue it, and someone else can continue off that. We could have one huge story machine.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wishes he could draw*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several find comics created with clip-art. Also, many photo-comics. Story machines could be made with these and other images.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Stephens wrote:
There are several find comics created with clip-art. Also, many photo-comics. Story machines could be made with these and other images.

That's a great idea!
Zhat
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are a lot better things I could be doing...

This attaches to the bottom of my first one.
Zhat
Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is kinda old, but I was wondering if Scott is going to ever continue thoes stoys machines.

If not, ignore me as usual.
zerofoks
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done something similar a few times, though the ways of the "stories" are less linear in my attempt than in those who were presented.

BIG file, so beware:

http://www.radicalartistfoundation.de/zerofoks/yikmupru_2.png
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zerokfoks that's really cool!
Ben Sutter
Regular Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how they work. Do you roll a 4-sided die and move a marker to decide the next part of the story? Or is the creation of the story machine the "point" itself?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you've basically got it. Scott explains his story machine here.
Zhat
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Zerofoks. I'm going to have to try something like that next. Unfortunatly my scanner isn't quite playing nice, so I might not be able to show it any time soon. I'll see what I can do.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Zero, that reminds me of an acid trip I once had...which is why I don't do acid anymore.

Seriously, it actually reminds of stuff I used to do back in my younger days. I'd smoke a bunch of weed (augmented occasionaly by another hallucinagenic), and hit the drawing board. The object was to fill every inch of the paper, and leave as little blank space as possible.

While this is pretty cool (and extremly wacky...somewhat disturbing, as well), I'm not sure if it qualifies as a story machine, at least by Scott's definition. It might a bit too complicated for that. Of course, that's open for debate. I'd say it almost definatly qualifies as surrealism...or something.

Whoah! I just saw Pac-Man! I'm gonna have go out and score a big bag of ganja, and study this further.
zerofoks
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I certainly can see the "drug tripping" association for my piece of visual art there, it's probably been done completely sober, as it usually takes me many days to finish a drawing like that.

And I can't be stoned ALL the time.

Of course I also agree that it doesn't quite fit the initial definition of Mr McCloud. However, my point wasn't doing a story machine, but rather to fill a giant speech bubble with a lot of rather wildly associated drawings, coming together in form and content. This, it seemed to me, was the essence of dreams, hence the title under the bubble.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip Tanion wrote:
The object was to fill every inch of the paper, and leave as little blank space as possible.

I was experimenting with this sort of art a few months ago and put a couple my my site, here and here. I then made a comic using that style.

I have used it like a story machine. Not to create a story, but to get my mind off of it, so I can go back to it with a fresh mind.
zerofoks
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efm wrote:
I then made a comic using that style.

I have used it like a story machine. Not to create a story, but to get my mind off of it, so I can go back to it with a fresh mind.

I like that one. I don't know really why, but it kinda puts a certain religious attitude into perspective, esp. the end.
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: thx Reply with quote

efm wrote:
Rip Tanion wrote:
The object was to fill every inch of the paper, and leave as little blank space as possible.

I was experimenting with this sort of art a few months ago and put a couple my my site, here and here. I then made a comic using that style.

great, thanks for sharing
kaos
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Stagelines drawing has a very pre-Columbian, Meso-American feel to it.

If I might make a suggestion, Eric, a script to pre-load the roll-over images would make things go smoother in your comic, especially for us here in the dial-up ghetto.

BTW, who in their right mind ISN'T afraid of clowns.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip Tanion wrote:
If I might make a suggestion, Eric, a script to pre-load the roll-over images would make things go smoother in your comic, especially for us here in the dial-up ghetto.

That is a good idea, something I didn't even think of when I was scripting the page. Thanks.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efm wrote:
Rip Tanion wrote:

I used a similar style on the last portion of this comic (well actually middle since it's not finished) to show a sort of dream hallucination sequence. http://krislachowski.250free.com/DFC.html
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mention it, Eric. Glad to be of service.
Veleno
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: machine Reply with quote

I had a thought a moment ago:

Since 6 sided dice are easier to come across than 4 sided dice, perhaps a story machine could be done using a hexigonal grid instead of a square one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: machine Reply with quote

Veleno wrote:
Since 6 sided dice are easier to come across than 4 sided dice, perhaps a story machine could be done using a hexigonal grid instead of a square one.

That's a good idea. It would also fill up the spaces better. Ok, I got a few things to try now...
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: machine Reply with quote

Veleno wrote:
Unless you're a D&D geek; then you've got a pouch full of wierd dice. Of course, if you're a D&D geek, you probably also have a pad of hexognal grid paper laying around too.

OK, I confess, I was once one, myself, in my youth. A lot of that RPG stuff I bought, some twenty to fifteen years ago, at the Compleat Strategist, is still tucked away somewhere in my closet.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: