Joined: 10 May 2009
|Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:33 pm Post subject: Looking for Artist: mixed media comic project!
|I am an amateur story writer looking for an artist to collaborate with. I cannot pay. But, eventually, I would like to look to publish, even if on a very small scale.
I can't do this idea justice without giving away the entire plot. But, here's a little about the story concept:
Many people think it would be wonderful to be immortal. I want to explore the idea that maybe it would be just as bad live forever as it might be to die. The story is mainly an exploration of this point. It is a look at how someone's identity could be misshapen if the lines between life and death bled into one another.
My feeling for the project is that I want the fantasy of the concept to blur with reality. I want to lead readers to imagine that the main character does exist somewhere, hidden in the anonymity that being one person among millions in a city can provide. (If this project does get off the ground I will be setting up a twitter and e-mail account for the character and recording a few clips of voice acted material to give the readers this impression.)
So, what I am looking for in an artist is the following:
1) I am looking for someone who would enjoy drawing in a realistic, preferably very plain and only lightly shaded style. Again, I want this to comic straddle the line between reality and imagination and I think that this style would help to give this impression. (However, I am open to other ideas to give this effect.)
2) The story will be set in New York. So, artists who are familiar with this city are preferred. If I cannot find an artist familiar with NYC I will be completely willing to take pictures of the places where the story is set to help the process along.
3) The story line will include multiple graphic deaths of the main character. You have to be alright with drawing this. I want these scenes to be as visceral as possible without going over the top. You should be up for and open to the challenge of making death look matter of fact, horrifying yet strangely beautiful.
4) Additionally, I am looking for an artist up for the challenge of integrating the style of home made videos, photographs and voice recordings into the flow of the storytelling. I am thinking that most of the plot will be revealed through the main-character's use of this media. In other words, you would be up for the challenge of conveying the idea that the comic is something the main character is looking at which he is reflecting upon. I want to use the concepts of fast-forwarding, rewinding, pausing, slowing down, speeding up and turning the volume up and down on video-tape for comic and dramatic effect.
5) I want to have fun with this and make a great piece of art. Needless to say, I would like it if whoever I collaborate with has the same goal in mind.
I know that was a lot to take in without the main plot being made clear. But, if you are interested collaborating or hearing more about the story and character please contact me either on MSN or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or on AIM where I am dangerprawn.
Thanks for your time and interest!