Seeking Artist for Supernatural Horror Comic [PAID]

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

OccasionallyHere
Forum Member

Seeking Artist for Supernatural Horror Comic [PAID]

Post by OccasionallyHere »

EDIT: The position has been filled at this time. A special thank you to everyone who submitted work for review. It was a pleasure to look through all of your samples, and I'll definitely keep you in mind for future projects!

What is the project:
While the tagline for this project is "A Supernatural Horror Comic", I tend to think of it as an "action-adventure, supernatural horror character study (with a lightly sardonic sense of humor)". We will be following the adventures of an irritable pre-teen who has a pesky habit of unintentionally raising the dead.
I am a big fan of the horror genre and a big fan of comics. But more than anything -- as I will speak to more in the next section -- I am a fan of dynamic characters. So this project seeks to create unique characters to follow on a bizarre and fantastic adventure. The primary focus of this first "arc" will be on ghosts, so I am definitely seek an artist who is comfortable drawing a lot of them.
This is intended as an "ongoing" series and I am seeking in this post to commission an artist for a 23-page first issue (with the option to also design the cover art).

What I'm looking for in the art:
The thing I value most in comic book is character design. I am looking for an artist that values unique, detailed, and expressive characters. The tone of the book is mostly serious (if a bit sardonic at times), so I do think a lass cartoon-ish style would be more fitting. But I'm willing to work with a variety of different styles so long as the characters are appropriately bold and expressive.
This is a supernatural horror comic, so we will be playing in some dark and fantastical territory. I do not typically write (excessively) explicit material, so I'm not looking for an artist who specializes in gore. There will of course be violence, action, and death (all essential to a decent horror story), but I do not want readers to feel that this is a gore-fest.

What I'm looking for in the artist:
Obviously, I'm looking for a talented artist to work with. But more than anything, I am interested in finding a collaborator. Inasmuch as I take responsibility for the success (and associated development costs, marketing, sales, etc.) of this comic, I am looking to find an artist who is passionate about their work. And I wholeheartedly welcome another voice in the creative process.
As said above, this post is seeking to commission an artist for a 23-page first issue. But I am looking for someone with a willingness to continue forward past issue one. The story I intend to tell will run for at least six issues, and that is the minimum level of commitment for which I would like to engage an artist. Obviously, I don't want to lock anyone in to a bad situation, so if you have a horrible experience working with my I don't intend to force you to continue. But I am looking to engage with somebody who is interested in producing an ongoing story.
I plan to separately engage (and pay) my artist for each new issue and am willing to work around your schedule. But if you are only interested in a one-and-done engagement for a single issue, then this may not be the best fit for you.

About payment:
This is a self-funded passion project, but I am dedicated to compensating my artist (and other collaborators) fairly. I would prefer to discuss actual numbers with individuals rather than post a blanket rate here, but rest assured that I do not intend for anybody to "work for peanuts" or "for exposure". Whether this comic lives or dies, I will be paying my artist and other collaborators a fair rate.

Who am I:
Rude of me to not introduce myself sooner.
I am an aspiring writer based in New York who takes this endeavor very seriously. I studied creative writing, marketing, and finance in college. While I do have limited published work (a couple of short stories in literary magazines), I am effectively an "unknown" who is looking to put in the time, effort, and capital to make this comic succeed.

Next steps:
If you are interested in the project, please reach out to me at the below email address:
phfalco59@aol.com
Please provide some samples of your work and any other information that you believe may be relevant to the selection process.
I plan to "shop around" for a few weeks with the ultimate goal of partnering with an artist by mid-June. So if you do not hear back from me immediately, please do not be discouraged. I intend to respond to all potential collaborators. But this is an important project to me, and I do not take artist selection lightly. So I will be exploring multiple platforms and applicants before making my selection (even if my first applicant looks PERFECT).
I look forward to speaking with you. And if you have any further questions that were not made clear, please feel free to post them in the comments. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by OccasionallyHere on Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master-of-Art
Consistant Poster

Post by Master-of-Art »

Hi, I am interested in your project .Please take a look at some of my work here:
https://www.deviantart.com/master-of-the-arts/gallery/

My email is: write2tra@hotmail.com
My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-Y1e ... Clx2V9oVVw

Thank you

OccasionallyHere
Forum Member

Post by OccasionallyHere »

Thank you for your interest and for providing samples of your work. I will be reviewing submissions over the next two weeks, so please stay tuned.
OscarZwol
Forum Member

Comic book artist

Post by OscarZwol »

Hello! Please check out my portfolio
https://www.deviantart.com/jpomatia/gallery/
gaetano.matruglio
Frequent Poster

Post by gaetano.matruglio »

Hi, I'm an italian comic artist, Gaetano Matruglio. I sent you a mail, let me know about it and thanks in advance! :)
Blarids
Forum Member

Post by Blarids »

Hello, I want English comics which are related to writing skills. I found a blog page with top resume writer and I like this blog. In this blog, many interesting comics are also available. If you want the link of this blog page then let me know.