Why Zwol is bad for you

Discuss the Zwol comic. (Random yammering also allowed.)

Moderator: Moderators

yuzaa
Forum Member

Why Zwol is bad for you

Post by yuzaa »

Just before going to sleep to get some rest for next day's work I figured I've been posting to Zwol forum and yet, I haven't read a single strip. I thought it'd be only fair for mr. Stephens if I checked out this Zwol thing. So I did.

Couldn't stop reading, however, and now my sleep is destined to be too short and tomorrow I'm all cranky and everyone will hate me. No, wait, I work at home. But still, I'm gonna be cranky.

So much for complaining. What can I say, I like Zwol and will be back tomorrow to finish year 2001. Until then, good night, dear comic people.

--Yuzaa Samarata
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Yes, Zwol is addictive. Too bad Greg leaves all us junkies hanging ...
:P

All kidding aside, Greg's comic (along with McCloud's Morning Improv) inspired me to draw my own comic. I too have been "on sabatical" before posting again. When I finaly get time to finish the current script I am illustrating, I dream of doing a colaboration with Greg one day if he is willing. Of course this would require time, which I have none.

Hope you enjoy year 2001 and on, Yuzaa.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Thank you for the very kind words! I had no idea people were still discovering the comic, but that's why I've left it all online. That, and the idea that at some point I'll get back to it.

Collaboration is very tough for me because I'm so unreliable these days. The story of my life is one strewn with unfinished projects.

But there is hope for Zwol- I haven't abandoned it and do know how the next arc of the story progresses and resolves. I just have to get to it and do it.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
yuzaa
Forum Member

Post by yuzaa »

Whew! Finally, I'm done, but full of mixed feelings. One of them being panic when I couldn't reach www.zwol.org at first. Luckily, the connection is working now (after several hours!), so you may count relief as one of the feelings as well.

On the other hand I'm thankful that there are no more left, that makes my lifes probably a lot easier. Yesterday when I told my fianc?e that I was tired of reading all the comics and thus not sleeping enough, she was all "You read what!?". You know.. So, I'm getting easier on that part.

Also, if there were more strips with BitPass system or whatever, I'd definitely have to get me a credit card and read more. Hmm.. on the other hand, after reading this much I feel somewhat criminal 'cause I can't pay anything for the service I've received.

In times like these - that is, I needed to transfer money thru internet - I feel like I'm falling behind the development of our society. I'm sure internet will become a major channel for delivering different forms of art, say, music and comics, for instance. I'd love to be part of that process; better late than never. Yet, I consider credit card such a hassle that I want to leave it out of my plans, for now. I'm so lazy, lazy, lazy. (Also, acquiring a credit card seems funny when I think of the amounts of money that there is to transfer. Mr. McCloud's "Right Number" was 25cents or so, for example. I'm not saying I'd like to pay more, but .. you get the idea. I understand it would cumulate into larger amount, maybe even few dollars a month!!)

Anyhow, thanks a bunch, Mr. Stephens. For the excellent art and also, quick response which gives this whole internet-comic-thingie its own, how would I say, more personal touch. And I like it that way. So, thank you. I wish you all the best and look forward seeing more of your work.

--Yuzaa
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

As far as any payment exchange for Zwol:

I have not charged for it and have no plans to do so. This is partly because nothing like BitPass existed when I began the comics but mostly because I lack the imagination to work out how to make money from this thing. I'm happy giving it away. The cost to me is minimal and well worth knowing that people actually do read the scribblings I've created.

But on the matter of the whole credit card issue, you may or may not already know that to sign up with BitPass you don't actually need a credit card. You could elect to use Pay Pal to sign up, which only requires a bank account. Sure, this means you're first signing up for one agency, then a second one, but it's a start. Someday the internet economy will be as robust as the real world economy.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Greg Stephens wrote:I had no idea people were still discovering the comic, but that's why I've left it all online.
Greg, I am grateful that you have left Zwol up because I am one of those "people" who are still discovering "new" online comics, including yours. Even though I've read a great deal of web comics I love to find ones that are "new" to me.
losttoy wrote:Greg's comic (along with McCloud's Morning Improv) inspired me to draw my own comic.
This goes for me as well. I haven't drawn anything in years and now I'm literally back at the drawing board. Thanks for the inspiration.

-Eric
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Cool!

Now I need something to inspire me to get back to work...
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Greed? I'm sure we forumites could scrape up a couple dollars.

Guilt? I check this site every day, and am dissapointed to find no comic any day.

Envy? Kevin Pease is finally finishing his book, what have you done in the last month?

Sloth? Your place would be messier if you splattered a bit of ink around.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Would a script help?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Wikkit wrote:Greed? I'm sure we forumites could scrape up a couple dollars.

Guilt? I check this site every day, and am dissapointed to find no comic any day.

Envy? Kevin Pease is finally finishing his book, what have you done in the last month?

Sloth? Your place would be messier if you splattered a bit of ink around.
Come up with examples for gluttony, wrath and vanity and I'll consider my options. (Guilt? I'm way past feeling that. Sloth? My place couldn't be much messier...)
Losttoy wrote:Would a script help?
I'm afraid it would only give me another thing to procrastinate on, about or with.

At this point, the story is sort of blocking me because I know I've got to get to a certain point, but it's all stuck and I can't get around it. Not thinking about it hasn't seemed to solve the problem any.

Edited to fix the quote
Last edited by Greg Stephens on Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

That was me on the second quote, not Wikkit.
Greg Stephens wrote:At this point, the story is sort of blocking me because I know I've got to get to a certain point, but it's all stuck and I can't get around it. Not thinking about it hasn't seemed to solve the problem any.
That is what I am saying. Due to the fact there has not been any new Zwol for a while, my own brain has been making up its own stories to get around where you are stuck. I have all sorts of fun ideas that go along with the previous themes. I do not know where you want to go with this comic and what that "certain point" is, but obiviously it has ran you into a wall.

My thought is forget about what has gotten you stuck and start a new. Introduce new characters and start an seeming unrelated plot line and then slowly merge it into the previous plot.

The problem (as I see it ... and forgive me if I am being too forceful with my opinion) is you have let the story sit around too long. It has just gotten too stagnant in your mind which makes you reluctant to doing anything about it. Prehaps you need something new and innovative to get your creative juices going again. Forget about your fans, or anything else ... wouldn't you like to start drawing and creating again? I know it is a great feeling for me to work on Danner's script after all this time not posting anything on my site(even though I am being slow at it (sorry Alex)).

Okay, I think I have said enough. I will stop bugging you now.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

losttoy wrote:Okay, I think I have said enough. I will stop bugging you now.
I think it's all good discussion. Probably good in general for anybody who's blocked in doing their comic work. Blocks of this sort are all psychological anyhow, and no matter what sort of advice is offered, it doesn't do any good if the author in question is willing and prepared to take that advice. Witness my own excuses. Doesn't make the advice and less valid or correct (except when it's just plain stupid and uninformed, nothing of which on this thread is, but I've seen some things said elsewhere that qualify- Not on this forum, but other places).

Post by Guest »

beautiful. Don't stop.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Whay Zwol is bad for you is because you can only look at that ugly picture of David Bowie before you just want to scream and drive all the way to California and kick Greg's butt to draw a comic or at least make him return an e-mail.

:D

P.S. I don't think David Bowie is ugly, just that picture is not very flaturing.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

worse

Post by Eric F Myers »

losttoy wrote:Whay Zwol is bad for you is because you can only look at that ugly picture of David Bowie before you just want to scream
I can think of less flattering images of Bowie.

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Oh, come on- He's a rocker. He's rockin' out. I should be seeing him perform tonight, so maybe I'll change the picture soonish.

As to emails, it seems that the more important it is that I reply, the less likely it is that it'll happen rapidly. But you eventually got my reply, right?

And on the topic of comics, all I can say is that there's a great liklihood that sometime in the next ten years there will be another Zwol installment, but it'll probably come when you're not looking for it.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I actualy like the Bowie picture of yours, Eric.

Greg, yes you did reply eventualy ... but not to the last one. I have pretty much given up on the idea since the few artists I had in mind are not really available right now.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

NOW WE ARE TALKING!

A picture of Bowie that is cool. *and* New art from Greg!

Who could ask for anything more. I'm happy now. :P
shadefell
Regular Poster

more needless suggestions

Post by shadefell »

Maybe it'd help if you updated the "about" page?

Doing something concrete might help get the creative juices flowing again.

It'd be kind of cool if you put up a brief summary of what's happened so far and who the characters are, and that might get you thinking about them in slightly different ways.

Or not.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

The "about" page will have to be updated eventually. Maybe sooner is better than later.