Nouveau Chemin

Discuss the Zwol comic. (Random yammering also allowed.)

Moderator: Moderators

losttoy
Understands reinventing

Nouveau Chemin

Post by losttoy »

It's not even up as I type this, but I hope that Greg gets it up soon. However I wanted to be the first to post in the forum about the new path that Greg and I are working.

Based on the real world events still being talked about in the news. Nouveau Chemin is some of my best work. But that is what I think, what do you think?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

It'll be up later today. Best bet- check on Saturday. I'll post here when it's up (and probably also change the logo at the top of the page while I'm at it).
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I think Greg and I just decided to start posting these new comics weekly on Mondays. I am pretty excited about this as I believe it is really the start of something.

I guess now that we are not posting today. It gives us all time to really get ready and have you lucky readers spectulate what the heck we are talking about. Will it stand up to the hype? Since there is no hype (except this post) it has nowhere to go but up, right? Tune in Monday for the first installment of Zwol: Nouveau Chemin.
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

haha

Post by kaos_de_moria »

and i already thaught i should find this thing somewhere and i am too stupid to see the link you posted. ok. it's coming later. good to know, that i'm not a complete retard.

reminds me watching a friend of mine with a pair of keys in his hand and watching them for a while. then he shook his head and said: "i don't know, there was a day once, when i knew the word for these..." :D

kaos
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Where it is ... it is waiting on Greg and my harddrives. Where it will be (on Monday) is on Greg's index page for Zwol right where the rest of Zwol used to post when Greg was drawing.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Fascinating. I look forward to new Zwol. How long have you two been planning this?
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Well, I have been bugging Greg since last November. That is when the basic plot was composed. Greg made some comments and changes in December and it has been sitting on the back burner since. I really just started illustrating these things since last week. Due to that gap the story did change a little, especially the location where it starts.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

David's been planning. I just made a new logo. :)
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

be careful greg! losttoy collects websites. this rather looks like some kind of a frindly overtake...

(as proof, check his signature under the postings!)

:wink:

kaos
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

And so it begins. The "New Way" has started.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Well, the second strip is up today. I know it is early on in the run, but what do people think so far? I know for me, this has been very exciting and a real chalenge. The hardest part for me is the fact that I am anixous to get more done. I know where I want to go with this, but also know it may take a while to get there. Of course, I want to make sure that the pacing is done right and the art to look just right. It takes at least two or three days (if I am not busy) to complete a strip. I wish I could draw faster.

Any comments or questions?

Post by Guest »

As you said it's a bit early so i can't really coment on the plot yet, but I'm impressed with the art.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

I agree with the above comment. Mostly because it's me.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Third comic is up, which makes me nervous because the fourth one is not completed yet. I like staying at least one week ahead. The fourth one is most done. I figure it could probably get this one completed today if it was all I did today. Regardless, I like the current comic up. It does feel good to know that my work is on a site other than my own being presented on a weekly bases.

The bus thing in the last panel is called a "tap-tip". It is like a taxi here in Amercia and they are usualy vivdly painted with religious symbols and more. In fact usualy the whole vehicle is just covered with decoration. Something I do not think shows as much in my illustration.

Once again, it is still early in the story, but what are your comments?
russ
Regular Poster

Post by russ »

For me it also feels too early to say much about the story, but I am interested to see how it develops, since current politics are interesting to me. I like the art, but I wish all 3 of the first strips didn't have a typo in the text - that leaves me feeling less care went into the text than the art.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

typos? I do not see any misspellings ... although, I know that I can not spell very well. In fact I am slightly dyslexic. I do try to run the text through the spell check at least once ... of course, I am always adjusting the dialogue to the last minute to make sure it is just right. Where's my editor?
russ
Regular Poster

Post by russ »

Ah, sorry, here's what I noticed:

1st strip:
openned -> opened
croud -> crowd

2nd strip:
lifes -> lives
tomarrow -> tomorrow

3rd strip:
presense -> presence

(Also I'm not sure if "France Legionnaire" should instead be "French Legionnaire" or if both are ok, but "French" is certainly more common in that phrase.)
EZ Duzzit

Post by EZ Duzzit »

You should always have someone else proof-read your work. No matter how many times you proof-read your own work, you're always bound to miss something. It always easier to pick up mistakes in someone else's work, that it is in your own. Spellcheck is good, but it won't help you with misspellings that would be correct as another word. Always have another human being look over your work before you show it to the public.
EZ Duzzit

Post by EZ Duzzit »

Case and point. I proof-read my own work above, and now I notice I made a few errors. If I would have had someone else do it for me, those mistakes probably woun't escape them, as they did me. I think it's because when you re-read your own work, you tend to skip over things, since one gets tired of re-reading what they wrote over and over again, since you already know what you wrote
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Anonymous wrote:Always have another human being look over your work before you show it to the public.
In theory, that would be me. Notice how it didn't happen.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I also show each comic strip to my wife before even sending it to Greg. Funny how all three of us can miss these things. I will take some time today to make those corrections (and Greg will have my fourth strip too). Thanks Russ for the good eye.

The recent strip I have been working on (the fourth one that will appear on Monday 4/5/04) has been the one I have been struggling the most on. I am very unhappy with panel two inwhich the character is suppose to be looking out a window, but looks like he is looking in a mirror. Furthermore, there has been a lot of research into the first panel for little details that I do not even know if they will show up or not (sigh). More over, I am getting way behind schedule since I am spending a lot of time planning Comic Awareness Week. I think after the next comic posts on Monday, I want to take a small break to reorganize for the next part of the story.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

You know, I love drawing this comic and I think it is the best work I have done yet. However, I think I need to take a short break to get some things done. I have some commitments I need to fullfill. Unlike Greg, I will not disapear for a year, just a week (two at the tops) so I can get some things done and catch up. Thank you for your paitence.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Alright, David. Recess is over. Get back to work.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I really need to post some sad girl in snow art.