Mimi's last coffee

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Mimi's last coffee

Post by DecafSilicon »

Cute drawing style, and, like Whose Mind, different than Scott's usual ultra-smooth style (the one used so well in UC, RC and Walrus).
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

various tidbits

Post by kaos_de_moria »

the style reminded me a at first of zen dating. now i see both together, of course i can see the difference. i like this b/w + 1 colour style. it is very expressive.

just a thought about the story. as this is her LAST coffee and she is already drinking it, this improv might be rather short or very slow... just a thought.

did anyone see the coffee and cigarettes trailer of the new jim jarmush movie? hilarious! (http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/coffe ... igarettes/)

i kind of like that girl from the start. i also do like the smell of coffee. especially the one of that pack of aritrean coffee a friend just brought as a souvenir :)

additional comment to the tarquin engine. thanks scott for using it. i think this is a great engine and your support might help the engine to get a broader use. this again might get some people to keep on developping the core of the engine. (i think there is still options for enhancing the engine.)

kaos
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Post by Tim Tylor »

Out of interest, was it drawn in the Flash program?
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Mimi? wrote:Mmmm. I love the smell of coffee.
Coffee? Yecch! Crack disolved in sewer water.

Death to Juan Valdez!! :P
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Out of interest, was it drawn in the Flash program?
Nope. Those are imported PNG's (like gifs but not owned by stupid, stupid compuserve creatures) that were drawn directly in Photoshop.

I considered using Illustrator as a source to get the slick look in Zen Dating and The Right Number, but decided that was just one step too many.
<a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com">--S</a>

Post by Guest »

For various reasons (e.g. security of my computer) I do not use Flash. All I see is a lovely big white rectangle. :( (BTW, Flash is not a real standard, but just a vendor-specific "standard".)

I am looking forward to the first latest panels that can be viewed individually.
Merlin
Frequent Poster

Post by Merlin »

> For various reasons (e.g. security of my computer) I do not use Flash.

I'm curious - I've never heard of any security concerns about the Flash plug in. What's the issue here?
New Experiments In Fiction

www.E-merl.com

Post by Guest »

Merlin wrote:I'm curious - I've never heard of any security concerns about the Flash plug in. What's the issue here?
Just make a Google search for "flash" and "vulnerability".

There was even a study that a Flash worm ("virus") could infect <i>the whole Internet</i> within <i>one minute</i>!

Even if everything seems to be fixed right now, it is quite natural that flash vulnerabilities will show up again. Flash is not a vendor-independent standard but a monoculture of one specific product by one specific company.

In contrast, HTML is a standard. You are always free to replace the Microsoft Internet Explorer by something secure. Of course, Macromedia is doing a much better job than Microsoft, but nevertheless you do not get the freedom to replace Macromedia's flash player by a compatible third-party product. (In fact, there are attempts to write such a thing, but without a real standard those guys have a hard job.)
BBrucker

Re: various tidbits

Post by BBrucker »

kaos_de_moria wrote:just a thought about the story. as this is her LAST coffee and she is already drinking it, this improv might be rather short or very slow... just a thought.
I'm always a bit surprised to hear people take a phrase so literally, especially when there are alternate meanings. The story may consist of Mimi drinking this coffee while discussing an interesting story about her last coffee.

But even if you do take it literally, perhaps Mimi has decided to swear off of coffee, and will declare this to be her "last coffee", and later decide that she can't live without it. Or the story could have nothing to do with coffee at all, but perhaps Mimi dies in the course of the story, and regrets that she had not taken the time to enjoy what she now realizes was her last coffee more as she draws her final breath.

Really, the fact that she's drinking coffee now doesn't limit the story much at all.
Bumblejumper
Regular Poster

Post by Bumblejumper »

BBrucker wrote:
kaos_de_moria wrote:just a thought about the story. as this is her LAST coffee and she is already drinking it, this improv might be rather short or very slow... just a thought.
I'm always a bit surprised to hear people take a phrase so literally, especially when there are alternate meanings. The story may consist of Mimi drinking this coffee while discussing an interesting story about her last coffee.

But even if you do take it literally, perhaps Mimi has decided to swear off of coffee, and will declare this to be her "last coffee", and later decide that she can't live without it. Or the story could have nothing to do with coffee at all, but perhaps Mimi dies in the course of the story, and regrets that she had not taken the time to enjoy what she now realizes was her last coffee more as she draws her final breath.

Really, the fact that she's drinking coffee now doesn't limit the story much at all.
Or this could be the first of many coffees she drinks during he course of the strip, leading up to her last coffee at the end of the strip.

Plus, we don't even know yet if this woman is, in fact, Mimi. She may be Mimi's mother. Or daughter. Or sister. Or boss. Or evil doppelganger.

So not only is the assumption that the coffee in the first panel is Mimi's last a hasty one, but so is the assumption that we've even met Mimi at all.

Mmmm. Coffee.
Chronosome
Regular Poster

Post by Chronosome »

Cool so far, and I'm diggin' the interface. :)
-R o n A m o r i M
Nathan Phillip

Mimi's Last Coffee

Post by Nathan Phillip »

I like the movement of the panels so far. It seems to mimic the way our attention moves from panel to panel when reading in an actual newspaper. This is fun and interesting. You go from one panel to the next, and when you're done, it's as if you put down the paper!
Penner Theologius Pott
Forum Member

flash

Post by Penner Theologius Pott »

I'm curious to see if Scott plans on using all of the space that's obviously available to him.

Could be a looong improv.
DON the IDEA GUY
Forum Member

Post by DON the IDEA GUY »

Scott McCloud wrote:I considered using Illustrator as a source to get the slick look in Zen Dating and The Right Number, but decided that was just one step too many.
C'mon Scott -- come clean!
You're using Mr. PicassoHead to draw this strip!

http://www.mrpicassohead.com/create.html :D
~DON
MrBlarney

Re: flash

Post by MrBlarney »

Penner Theologius Pott wrote:I'm curious to see if Scott plans on using all of the space that's obviously available to him.

Could be a looong improv.
Then again, we could suddenly get 100 more panels over the weekend via 24 hour comics weekend... :)
BBrucker2
Forum Member

Post by BBrucker2 »

Bumblejumper wrote:Plus, we don't even know yet if this woman is, in fact, Mimi. She may be Mimi's mother. Or daughter. Or sister. Or boss. Or evil doppelganger.

So not only is the assumption that the coffee in the first panel is Mimi's last a hasty one, but so is the assumption that we've even met Mimi at all.
Yeah, I thought of that this morning. Mimi might be the waitress(?), or the name of the cafe (There's a diner somewhere around here named "Mimi's".) she's sitting in, or even someone who won't even appear in the comic.
-BRUCKER
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

Bumblejumper wrote:
BBrucker wrote:

Or this could be the first of many coffees she drinks during he course of the strip, leading up to her last coffee at the end of the strip.

Plus, we don't even know yet if this woman is, in fact, Mimi. She may be Mimi's mother. Or daughter. Or sister. Or boss. Or evil doppelganger.

Mmmm. Coffee.
lol... yes you are all right. and no, i didn't really take it literally. i just wanted to start the speculation on where the story might go...

kaos
One
Forum Member

Post by One »

Is this comic going to just be a linear story (linear as in beginning, middle, end, not shape of the strip of course) or will there be several different branches going into different stories? (for example: http://www.e-merl.com/pocom.htm)
insert humorous quote, story or one liner
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Branching, definitely. Look for the first divergence soon.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

That's why I love you, Scott McCloud.

The waitress in panel 3 (4?) is lovely. Very nice work.
Bumblejumper
Regular Poster

Post by Bumblejumper »

So this is "Choose Your Own Carl" revisited, then?

"Choose Mimi's Last Coffee?"
Nino Prita

Post by Nino Prita »

Maybe Mimi will cheat on Marcel with Carl. Would that be necrophilia?
Chronosome
Regular Poster

Post by Chronosome »

I cracked up at today's ending, imagining it as "the whole deal". :D
-R o n A m o r i M
BBrucker2
Forum Member

Post by BBrucker2 »

kaos_de_moria wrote:lol... yes you are all right. and no, i didn't really take it literally. i just wanted to start the speculation on where the story might go...
Looks like it's going to go everywhere it can.
-BRUCKER