Print versus Web

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you prefer Printed comics, or Digital Comics?

I'm all about the paper!
11%
I'm all about the html!
No votes
I don't really care!
89%

Total votes: 9

Ben Sutter
Regular Poster

Print versus Web

Post by Ben Sutter »

Alright? let's get into a debate. Despite the increasing quality and quantity of webcomics out there, do you still long for something you can put on your shelf and say, "This is a comic I own!"? I actually like both. If you were to visit e-sheep, you would see that most people want to see more content (internet or not), and they want it over the net. I, however, would love to see a printed version of his comics.

That example notwithstanding, there are a lot of comics out there that would translate to print well. Because I like print. Really. Using Scott's example, you don't have to touch a movie screen to enjoy a movie, but if you really like the movie, you'll probably grab the DVD.

A DVD that you can hold, touch, loan out to friends, and collect. With the internet, the information is there, but it's not really *there*.

Anyway, knowing that this will be horribly unfair (I mean, come on! I'm asking whether you prefer webcomics OVER THE INTERNET!), let's see what you think. I'm all about opinions! :P [/i]
I've decided that signatures are redundant.
Ben Sutter
Regular Poster

Post by Ben Sutter »

Oh, and by he way, I'm sorry that i didn't see the similar but different strand, "to hell with print". This is more of an artistic wish pot, though?
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I see this thread as the sunny version of mine.

If I did get an offer to be printed, I would do it. But only after making sure that I got so much of a percentage that they'd never ask me to do it again.

I would do the same if Hollywood came a calling. They better be backing up a dumptruck full of money to my house if they wanted me to option It's About Girls.

These things are MY payday for MY hard work. And that's the bottom line, cuz the artist formerly known as Becks said so.
ragtag
Consistant Poster

Post by ragtag »

As a creator or as a customer?

As a creator, I like the freedom that web comics give you and that you can reach a lot of audience easily. Of course, it would be nice if you could make a living of it too. :(

As a customer, I actually prefer printed comics. The main reason is that I prefer reading of paper to reading of a screen...and I can bring them along with me. Not because I like to own them...I don't like to own stuff, I usually wind up giving away all my old comics to friends or the library.

Ragnar
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I feel like this subject keeps coming up in various places like a broken record. I cannot remember what I said exactly last time, but I guess I have to say I like them both ...

I am an artist who draws comics. I have done them for the web and for print (each with small distribution). There are some comics that could do well in both formats. Some could do well only in one (like my 40" long comic would only look right online). I guess it comes down to the fact I do not limit myself to just one kind of "canvas" or art style. I sometimes like to work in clay too.
(A side note, I think I should try to do a comic with clay, taking photos of the sculptures and using each picture as a panel.)

As a graphic designer I an often asked why I do not get a job as a web designer. When I started out, I only did print. The two medias being simular, but as apples and oranges. Years ago I could easily draw a layout for a website or even create graphics for the web, but the actual layout becomes more technical than just page layout. I never knew anything about html, javascript, or how to connect a web page to a customer's database. I have been learning slowly. Since then, I have started posting comics online I have been forced to learn html and those web design layout programs. However, I am still clueless about javascript, or how to connect a web page to a database. Years ago, there used to be two different positions: a web designer and the IT guy. However with the ecconomy as it is with layoffs and job consolidating, the two positions are now one. While an IT guy could also do a okay design that does not necessarily look the greatest, it gets the job done. Myself, I can make a kick ass looking site, but have no idea on how to get it to do the stuff it needs to do, like actualy selling the customer's mechandice online versus a mail order form on the web. However, in print design I know everything about leading, tracking, balance, tabs & indents, how to layout graphics just right, and how to ready the file for digital pre-press and even be able to output the digital pre-press. Apples and oranges.

One could debate web comics and print comics, but they are two differrent animals. One day, I would love to learn how to use Flash for those really cool web comics. However, I do not think I ever want to learn all that IT stuff because I am an artist not a programer. As a reader, I can view and appresiate the comics media on either the web or on paper. Afteral comics is in its simplest the telling of story with the use of pictures. It does not specify if it is done on cave walls, in pyramids, on deer hide, on canvas, on paper or on the web. I love COMICS.
Ben Sutter
Regular Poster

Post by Ben Sutter »

losttoy mentions something I totally forgot to...

To do comics over the internet, or to even view them, it requires several things. First, it requires a computer. Second, an internet connection. If there is a charge to veiw the comics, then a credit card or bank account number is required. Knowledge that the webcomics exist would help, too. And, for creators, there must also be knowledge of how to make a webpage, programs for web management, and the time and energy to maintain the site.

In stark contrast, all you need to do to procure a comic book is walk to a comic retailer and plunk down your cash. (Granted, getting a comic PRINTED has as many, if not many more, steps than putting a comic on the web).
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Ben Sutter wrote: (Granted, getting a comic PRINTED has as many, if not many more, steps than putting a comic on the web).
And a lot less of a chance of someone reading it.