Resolution worries

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Resolution worries

Post by Tim Tylor »

I'm wondering what's the minimum resolution you can get away with working at on a comic if you hope to bring it out in book form. Could you get by at 450 pixels an inch in greyscale? 600 per inch would be ideal, but I don't think I can manage that without adding more memory, and I'd rather avoid the hassle and computer-warranty complications if possible.
Last edited by Tim Tylor on Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I have no experience with this, so take the advice for what it's worth, but I'd suggest asking the printer with which you expect to be working. Googling around, this printer suggests 300dpi (about 1/2 way down the page).
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Post by Tim Tylor »

Thanks. That leaves me feeling easier about it. I know of a likely publisher, but they don't have any resolution advice on their website.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Come to think of it, I'm sure you could get an answer from Kevin Pease. Maybe try asking a question in his forum.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I worked at a digital pre-press department. We output files to digital match prints, silvers, negatives and seperations for print. I can tell you that the resolution you need is 300dpi. In fact I do not know anybody who uses it any higher unless your art is saved as black and white bitmap files which should be saved at 1200dpi.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Good old bitmap. Easy to save and transfer.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

This comes from Digital Prepress for Comic Books by Kevin Tinsley
Unless you are printing black and white on high-quality art magazine paper stock, there is no reason to go overboard with resolution.

Based on the average comic in print:
  • Black and white line art printed on interior paper stock: no higer the 600-700ppi

Black and White line art printed on glossy cover stock: 700-800ppi

Four-color art printed on interior paper stock: no lower than 300; recommend between 400-500ppi

Four-Color art printed on glossy cover stcok: no lower than 400; recommend between 400-520ppi
The estimate for four-color art listed above are assuming the black line art is an integral part of the color document.
Tinsley also says that a lower resolution color plate can be composited with a high-resolution black line art plate.

Line-art assumes a two-bit b/w bitmap.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Post by Tim Tylor »

Thanks, guys. You're lifesavers. :D