Mimi's last coffee

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Penner Theologius Pott
Forum Member

Re: Mimi's last coffee

Post by Penner Theologius Pott »

William G wrote:
sjaffredo wrote:uncomfortable scrolling up/down and left/right.
Jesus, how fucking lazy has the web made us?
For whatever reason, I just can't shake the feeling that you've said something really profound here.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Necessity is the mother of invention, but laziness is the father.

Even so, gotta say, wanting a better interface doesn't equate to laziness.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Penner Theologius Pott wrote:
William G wrote:
For whatever reason, I just can't shake the feeling that you've said something really profound here.
I do that every once in a while.

And while I agree that the current method Scott is using does work wonderfully, it always saddens me to read comments on webcomics that include the idea that scrolling is a laborious task.

Then again, I'm from the Commodore 64 generation. If it's faster than a tape to load up, I see it as good and anyone who complains is a nancy-boy.
sundre

Post by sundre »

William G wrote:

I prefer this one. Of course, that may be because of my own proclivities.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
Robert Heinlein, Time Enough For Love
Ain't that swell?

----------

ici
zerofoks
Frequent Poster

Post by zerofoks »

Robert Heinlein is the new L. Ron Hubbard.
<a href="http://www.radicalartistfoundation.de/zero.htm" target=_blank">zerofoks @ the Radical Artist Foundation</a>
Merlin
Frequent Poster

Post by Merlin »

> The ending of Externality's Ninja v. Jesus thread certainly shows that
> you can make an indirect link between clicking on a small panel and
> viewing another larger one which is in a completely different location
> than the one on which you have clicked

I feel I should put my hand up here and own up - the end of Ninja Vs. Jesus required a chunk of code re-hacking on my part in order to get a zoom out larger than the size of the whole comic.

Everything else in Tarquin is drag and drop - you drag the artwork to where you want it and then drop a special panel over the top of it so that the engine can register the size and location of the panel.

Scott actually asked me how to implement an intermediate zoom for Mimi, but then he went and figured it out by himself before I got a chance to reply. Again, as he notes, it's all just more drag-and-drop-ness.

The big balancing act for me at the moment is making the engine a little bit more open to easy customisation without losing this simplicity of use.
New Experiments In Fiction

www.E-merl.com
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

merlin wrote:I feel I should put my hand up here and own up - the end of Ninja Vs. Jesus required a chunk of code re-hacking on my part in order to get a zoom out larger than the size of the whole comic.
But it's not larger than the whole comic, it is the whole comic. The starting point just doesn't show the whole thing. I'm guessing that you did two things- First, you had to allow someone to define a "zoom-level" panel as the starting zoom; Second you had to allow clicking on one "zoom-container" panel to zoom to a different panel. If I've guessed correctly, both of these are very cool features. Does using any of this still allow for users to drag & drop to create this functionality?

This could be used for purposes other than that demonstrated in Externality. You could have branching comics that "jump" space- where the trail isn't obvious and the comic then pans a (relatively) great distance over blank territory to reach the next group of panels (crossing an ocean, so to speak-- leading one to think that Tarquin could be used to chart routes on maps). If panels are allowed not to have borders, something like the famous Zot! Online "falling panel" could be completely reinvented.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

OK- Is it just me or is there no "Mimi" update for today, May 17th? Did I miss or forget an announcement that there wouldn't be an update?
Scott McCloud
The one and only

AAAAAARGH!

Post by Scott McCloud »

No, the panel was missing. Not because I didn't draw it in time. I FORGOT TO UPLOAD IT!!

I thought it was fine until I came home and Ivy asked my why there was no update.

I am the stupidest man alive today.
karenth

"refreshing!"

Post by karenth »

all right, anybody else dig on the 1776 reference? ("my name is richard henry lee, virginia is my home!")
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

You're the first!

Yes, most assured-LEE, that was the source for the "missus" comment.

Always loved that musical. The image of cranky, disliked John Adams bellowing to an indifferent room has been a comfort on many a lonely crusade for Yours Truly.

Sad that De Silva didn't make it onto the Broadway cast recording (I'm told he was sick that day) but what a perfect Franklin he makes in the film.
BuckBeaver
Frequent Poster

Re: "refreshing!"

Post by BuckBeaver »

karenth wrote:all right, anybody else dig on the 1776 reference? ("my name is richard henry lee, virginia is my home!")
I did! I did!

And it's sad to note that like most Canadians I catch more American cultural/historical references than I do Canadian ones. :oops:
Check out my NEW blog - PuppetVision
Retro-style puppet film and video goodness, delivered fresh to your computer each day!

Post by Guest »

I also took notice. "And may my wife refuse my bed, if I can't deliver, as I said, a resolution on Independecy."
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Oooh... Now today's panel (non-Flash link) shows an interpretation of the title that I don't think we've mentioned here AND illustrates how many of us were assuming what the red-haired, coffee-drinking woman's name was.
MrBlarney

Post by MrBlarney »

Not only that, but the large panel may suggest that we might see more of Marv's story. Looks like things could definitely get more complicated.
Connor Moran
Frequent Poster

Post by Connor Moran »

Here's hoping for some true crosswording. It would be interesting to see how well Scott can integrate different stories without preplanning (assuming that he hasn't planned all of this).
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Our heroine just isn't getting any breaks, is she?
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Mimi is turning into a Lifetime "Men Bad, Women Good" movie.

Several years ago, I was watching 1776 on TV, while coming down from a Forth of July acid trip that started in Central Park. I was like, "WOW! I didn't know John Adams and Thomas Jefferson could sing. Our founding fathers had some decent pipes." Needless to say, that was the last time that I ever dropped acid.

Peter! Pins!
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Michael_Harker
Regular Poster

Post by Michael_Harker »

Finally! A random explosion!

I was waiting for that.... I knew it was inevitable.
Penner Theologius Pott
Forum Member

Post by Penner Theologius Pott »

Rip Tanion wrote:Mimi is turning into a Lifetime "Men Bad, Women Good" movie.
Oh, for heaven's sake. Surely you're not prepared to extract an agenda from the one relationship represented in the comic?
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

"RESTRAINING" order, Mr. McCloud.

Nice work as usual
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I was about to post saying that, though it appears to be an obvious typo for "restraining," there's a certain charm in the notion of a "retraining order" for an abusive spouse. (You know, as far as charm can be applied to abuse in any case.) I mean, ideally, you'd want the guy to be retrained to not be an abusive jerk, but not in some Clockwork Orange kind of way.

I vote that you leave it as is. If you didn't plan it and it is a typo, then you've got the redhead's next bit of dialogue- "You mean 'restraining' order, Doris," (or whatever her name is), or even the next branching bit of the story, where they discuss how the retraining would work (which could turn a little Clockwork Orange, I suppose).

And if you DID plan it, then all this is moot and we'll have to wait and see.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Rip Tanion wrote:Mimi is turning into a Lifetime "Men Bad, Women Good" movie.
Oh, for heaven's sake. Surely you're not prepared to extract an agenda from the one relationship represented in the comic?
No, just making a flippant observation. And don't call me Shirley. :wink:
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Ah, well. It seems as though the typo has been fixed. But, since the original panel still exists, maybe that can be a branch from the previous panel? When using a branching comic like this one, couldn't this panel still be used in it's original form? Maybe I'm just dreaming.

(Helpful forum tip, re: link from the Morning Blog today: There's a small blank page icon at the top of each post, to the left of the Posted date/time. This is actually a link to that exact post that can be used to link directly to that post. When linking this way, it's not a bad idea to also note the poster name and date of the post, because sometimes browsers don't scroll to anchors properly, depending on how fast the page is rendered, but still a useful way to link.)