Mimi's last coffee

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

William G
Reinvents understanding

Re: AAAAAARGH!

Post by William G »

Scott McCloud wrote:No, the panel was missing. Not because I didn't draw it in time. I FORGOT TO UPLOAD IT!!
Man, when you see Web Comics Guru Scott McCloud (tm) do something like this, it makes you feel like less of a chimp. :D
xxxtatic2000

From spelling to grammar...

Post by xxxtatic2000 »

Wow, Scott. Now the waitress is talking in Tarzan/Tonto/Frankenstein speech.

I believe the proper Caveman English is, "Logic says you fool not leave that guy."

Chris
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Gaaaaaaah.

Have I mentioned that it's been a really hard week?
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

We understand.

Now, back to your wacom tablet, webcomic slave! :wink:*

*This joke is refering to how many fans of an artist are unwilling to let things pass, and in no way represents the views of William George International and all subsidiary companies.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

What can be said about today's panel other than- "The plot thickens!"

OK, it's also interesting that the panel that was in the direct horizontal trail yesterday is now an offshoot panel, replaced in position by the new panel. This is the kind of thing that would be invisible if one were reading the comic all at once after completion and not incrementally, as the Improv happens.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
mr.setup

Post by mr.setup »

why did marcel hit mimi???
mr.punchline

Post by mr.punchline »

mr.setup wrote:why did marcel hit mimi???
because she wouldnt listen
Hunter of Wisdom
Regular Poster

Post by Hunter of Wisdom »

Hmm. She's gonna die, isn't she?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Today's update is rather chilling.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Greg Stephens wrote:Today's update is rather chilling.
Indeed.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Greg Stephens wrote:Today's update is rather chilling.
Because of the cheap tip?
jazzsammich
Forum Member

Post by jazzsammich »

two things:

(1) nice work on the Ominous Cheery Goodbye ending.

(2) she's already died (see the Gratuitous Nuclear Explosion ending.)

--jim k.
T Campbell

Post by T Campbell »

:cry: ...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :cry:

I dunno why this is so much sadder than a nuclear explosion ending... wait, yes I do... it's that cheery "see you tomorrow" that does it... geez...
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

I'm lost. Why is today's update so chilling?

And how much of a tip should someone leave for one lousy cup of coffee?
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Chronosome
Regular Poster

Post by Chronosome »

It's a downer, to say the least. Good stuff. :(
-R o n A m o r i M
simrob
Forum Member

Post by simrob »

Rip Tanion wrote:I'm lost. Why is today's update so chilling?
Think about it - she's planning on coming back tomorrow, but what we are looking at, we can be led to believe, is "Mimi's Last Coffee" - ie she's not going to make it back the next day, for one reason or another.

Clilling, isn't it?
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

OK. Fair enough. However, that's assuming this is Mimi's last coffee...EVER. I thought it was just her last coffee today. I guess I'm too much of an optimist.

Speaking of which, in that earlier thread Mimi should have told Marcel "Screw you and your Cubans! I went around the corner to the candy store and picked you up a box of Optimos. If you don't like it, tough titties! Go buy yer own damn cigars, Fidel!"

Anyway, maybe I just need to see a headstone with "R.I.P. Mimi" carved in it...a la Choose Your Own Carl...to be totally convinced.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Jerome Boulbes
Forum Member

Post by Jerome Boulbes »

Rip Tanion wrote:I'm lost. Why is today's update so chilling?

And how much of a tip should someone leave for one lousy cup of coffee?
I'm not sure I know exctly what "chilling" means (english isn't my native language) but this ending is certainly the most depressing. I see it as a never ending story : Mimi is going to repeat the same thing again and again, devotion to her man, being beaten by him, warned by her friend, but back home again... and tomorrow, another hit, another coffee, and so on. So many women live the same thing...

jerome
HeartBurn Kid

Post by HeartBurn Kid »

efm wrote:Because of the cheap tip?
Dunno, $2.00 and change seems like a good tip, considering all she had is coffee, and that's usually about a buck a cup.
MrBlarney

Post by MrBlarney »

Today's panels looked kinda weird, and that's when I realized: 'Mimi' is now wearing long sleeves where she was just wearing short sleeves... continuity is in error - *gasp*

Oh, and I will comment that yesterday's panels were indeed somewhat chilling... although Rip's interpretation is refreshing. Blood in the gutters and all that.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

HeartBurn Kid wrote:Dunno, $2.00 and change seems like a good tip, considering all she had is coffee, and that's usually about a buck a cup.
Dollars? That makes sence. I thought they were a couple of quarters on top of napkins or on top of the check.
Rip Tanion wrote:And how much of a tip should someone leave for one lousy cup of coffee?
The minimum tip I leave is a buck. Even if it is just a fifty cent cup of coffee.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

MrBlarney wrote:Today's panels looked kinda weird, and that's when I realized: 'Mimi' is now wearing long sleeves where she was just wearing short sleeves... continuity is in error - *gasp*
Um, actually I'd intended that to look like one of those tight, buttoned sweaters which we'd assumed she'd just put on prior to leaving. Guess I failed the clarity test on that one.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Scott McCloud wrote:Guess I failed the clarity test on that one.
Nah, it was clear to me.

It's obvious she's ready to go outside. She's standing up to leave, her money is on the counter, she's slung her purse on her shoulder, and she is about open the door. The sweater's neckline in easily visible. All the needed elements for communicating the idea are there.

Hear again, she's standing up to leave, her money is on the counter, the door is visible behind her, and she's buttoning up her sweater..
Zaratustra

Post by Zaratustra »

It has been revealed. The man's name is Mimi.