24 Hour Comics Day attendees

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

HumanCartoon
Forum Member

24 Hour Comics Day attendees

Post by HumanCartoon »

Imagine my chagrin that the list of 24 Hour Comics Day participants includes the names of two guys I was there with but not my own. Did anyone else get the shaft?

If so, please... step forward, my brothers! Unite with me against the tyranny of an incomplete 24 Hour Comics Day participants list! Free yourself from the shackles of cosmic injustice and RISE UP, my brothers! RISE UP and let your oppressors know that you will be heard... that you didn't fall asleep once... and that you also managed to get a cover - the 25th page - done at the last minute!

I have pamphlets for you to distribute and there's punch and pie in the back of the room.
Ryan Germick
Forum Member

is this any way to treat a veteran?

Post by Ryan Germick »

Dear Commrade,

I'm not sure I've got the spirit to go on... I too fought the good fight and was left off the list. My battle took place at Jim Hanley's Universe in New York. No bother that I've even posted my 24 hour comic online...
HumanCartoon
Forum Member

Post by HumanCartoon »

Oh yeah, good idea. I guess I could put a link to my 24 Hour Comic, that would make sense. I did mine at a comic shop in the Chicago suburbs (no stores actually in Chicago participated), and next year, I'm not working on paper so big.

Nice comic, by the way. I'd love to see the 24 Hour Comics that didn't make the book...
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

hey germick,

nice stuff you have on your site. i didn't have time yet to read it all, but i really like "my boyfriend is a freak!". great idea, very post-modern i'd say. and the way it is realised really fits the concept of the story. keep going,

kaos
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I don't know how this list was compiled, but I know that Scott Kurtz participated and he's not listed either. In his case, I can guess that perhaps he was too busy otherwise to send in his comic to the 24HCD organizers, and thus wasn't listed. Presuming the list is based on people who sent in their comics, did anyone who sent their comic to 24HCD get left off the list?
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
HumanCartoon
Forum Member

Post by HumanCartoon »

Greg Stephens wrote:Presuming the list is based on people who sent in their comics, did anyone who sent their comic to 24HCD get left off the list?
I can only assume that the comic book shop where I attended the event sent in a copy of my comic, as they claimed they did. I filled out the form, anyway.

Of course, I'm not going to lose any sleep because my name didn't make some list. But for the record, I was there, man. I saw some shit. Stuff you don't forget easy, man. Stuff that changes you; makes you who you are.

Wait... what was I talking about? Oh yeah. 24 Hour Comics Day. Yeah I did that.
HumanCartoon
Forum Member

Post by HumanCartoon »

Scott, in his blog today, wrote:Better clarify that yesterday's list of 24 Hour Comics Day attendees was just the list Nat collected from official submissions through store locations.
Huh... am I to assume that le comic shoppe at which I participated didn't submit my comic, and just arbitrarily held onto if for a week before giving it back to me?

Dirty so-and-so's!

Well, glad that's over with. Now that I've officially caused a stir, I suppose I could slip out the back door unnoticed...
NatGertler
Regular Poster

From the maker of the list

Post by NatGertler »

The list includes the names of folks who:
1) sent in their work;
2) didn't get their work lost in the mail;
3) included the cover sheet form;
4) filled out that form legibly;
5) didn't have the bad luck of having me mis-file their form or mis-enter their information

All told, we've got somewhere around 2/3 of the folks who participated at event locations. We have no way of knowing how many people participated outside of the event locations.

There was no way to do this perfectly, and no time for doing it better than it was done.
daveletters
Forum Member

Chiming in as a lone 24 Hour Comicker

Post by daveletters »

Hi, gang!

I toiled away at an unofficial 24 Hour Comics location, but I'd like to be noted as one of 2004's participants!

Check out www.artmonkeys.com for the still running replay (although the new site is debuting soon, so get there quick!)

Best,

Dave Lanphear
www.artmonkeys.com
Semi-Solo Monkey
Veleno
Frequent Poster

Post by Veleno »

Glad to see I got on there. Unfortunately do to some scanner issues, my 24 hour comic never got scanned and sent to the place I was instructed to send it to.
"The way to a man's heart is through his ribcage"