Shaolin Soccer

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

William G
Reinvents understanding

Shaolin Soccer

Post by William G »

I own a DVD copy of it that I bought in Korea.

I would feel safe in saying that it is signifgantly more entertaining than Titantic was.
BuckBeaver
Frequent Poster

Post by BuckBeaver »

Yes, but is that really saying anything? :P

Did this even come out? I never saw it here in Canada though there were a lot of trailers for it 12-18 months ago. Maybe they are just doing a stateside release?
Check out my NEW blog - PuppetVision
Retro-style puppet film and video goodness, delivered fresh to your computer each day!
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

As far as "movies that rock" goes, I'd say it sits close to Kill Bill and Dawn Of The Dead
zehoeng

shaolin soccer

Post by zehoeng »

pretty good show really. great marketing tactics for it as well, VCD copies came aout almost same time as the movie cos asians prefer that format. Stephen Chpw films are really good, funny, crude at times but enjoyable.

I think the movie came out here in asia about a year ago
Ze Hoeng
jturner
Regular Poster

Post by jturner »

I remember seeing a billboard for this a couple of summers back, but I don't think it ever actually appeared in theatres though.

But a friend got a copy through some means, and man is it enjoyable! Just crazy fun. Kind of... Bad News Bears meets the Five Deadly Venoms meets Akira...
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

It came out in time to capitalize on World Cup 2002 fever.

Man, I tell yah, there aint nothing crazier than being in the same city a world cup is being held.
Connor Moran
Frequent Poster

Post by Connor Moran »

One caveat: I have heard tell that the US dubbed version that will come to theaters is severely chopped down from the original, so if you can find another way to get ahold of it, that would be way better. But I don't know personally, so that may just be BS.
Stefan

US version

Post by Stefan »

Connor Moran wrote:One caveat: I have heard tell that the US dubbed version that will come to theaters is severely chopped down from the original, so if you can find another way to get ahold of it, that would be way better. But I don't know personally, so that may just be BS.
I've heard that about US version too, and this is what I have to say:
I was given a copy of the original DVD that a friend got overseas, and really... the movie could really use some serious editing. For the kind of fun/goofy movie it was, it was probably close to 45 minutes too long. Not to mention that all the best parts are shown in the trailer, and everything else just felt like filler.