What is more important in a story?

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Ignorant Cretin
Forum Member

What is more important in a story?

Post by Ignorant Cretin »

There are times when I feel frustrated when reading fiction that is often praised by respectable critics. Don't get me wrong, these works aren't overrated by any stretch; they are often masterpieces in the art of communication. Then again, there are also those works that are a bit more to the point in telling the theme and are more interested in the development of a story.

As the best of them use both effectively, is even the most intricate of story-telling thwarted by thematic allegory in importance? Which do you prefer to read?
Amerigo
Regular Poster

Post by Amerigo »

Everyone is different - it would depend on the audience you are trying to reach so research your demographic directly if you are trying to speak to a certain group.
I strongly recommend writing what YOU like and focus on what feels best. You'll never please everyone anyway.
"One should not wish for the removal of mountains of adversity, but for the courage to climb them."
Ignorant Cretin
Forum Member

Post by Ignorant Cretin »

I completely agree, Amerigo. Anyone who sets a "standard" for art needs a lobotomy. I'm just wondering which part of a story people enjoy more...