Webcomic

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Nemrai
Forum Member

Webcomic

Post by Nemrai »

Being a person who would like to create a webcomic, I would like to hear if you have any advice for a person who have no previous experience in making such a thing.

- The comic will be set in one of my own worlds, which is quite complex. Would you have any suggestions for how to introduce it to the readers without forcing them to read all the info on the world.

- My idea is to create the script for the webcomic through a RPG.

- An idea that was given to me by someone else is to have the background and the characters be drawn by different people.

Oh, and if you would like to help, feel free to send me a PM.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

My brother and his friends started playing D&D, then to GURPS a long time ago. Since they have been meeting every week since the late 70's they have been having many adventures and have been building a growing world as characters have came and gone. Since they have been meeting every week since the late 70's they have been having many adventures and have been building a growing world as characters have came and gone. He and the others have been collecting their adventures. Before ?The Internet? my brother wrote a Hypercard stack with maps, storylines, characters and other information for their world Granite Rocks. Granite Rocks was adapted online as a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) and as well as prose stories collecting some of the stories happening while on their RPG adventures.

While I never got into the whole RPG thing myself, after reading [link=http://www.absurdnotions.org]Absurd Notions[/url] I though what I great idea to unwind after work to go on an adventure with my friends. I ended up the Dungeon Master and had to create a world for the players to explore and scenarios that the characters will get into as they go along. Less of a story but creating enough ?if, then?s to let the player write their own story. While other life came around and I don?t even talk to one of the friends we were planning this with, we never even got started. However I was left with a world and scenarios to be played out that only the characters needed to explore. So I decided to write a comic. This comic became The Norlin Voyage. While I have not gotten to far (and posted even less) I have found it is best to just introduce the characters and let them explore the world rather then having to set-up anything for the readers.

As for other advice for new creators online. Stay cheap. If you are new to comics and the web, start with a free site (like geocities) and get used to the HTML and how to present a comic online. You will find it is easier to go through redesigns and such when there is less worries about whether it is worth the money you are paying for a domain. Once you get used to what you are doing and build an audience, then go get your own domain and professional server space.

As for different artists, good luck coordinating that. It worked for Kabuki, Masks of the Noh. It works for American Spender ? however Joe Schmoe, maybe not. If you can do it, please tell me how. :) However, it might make for a really cool and stylish way of doing it.

More advice later ?
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

What have you got so far?
Joel Fagin
Regular Poster

Re: Webcomic

Post by Joel Fagin »

Nemrai wrote:- The comic will be set in one of my own worlds, which is quite complex. Would you have any suggestions for how to introduce it to the readers without forcing them to read all the info on the world.
Throw them in and let them pick it up through context, Pern style. In the Dragons of Pern books, it was never stated what a Crafthall or Hold was, but it was simply left for the reader to figure out. The human mind is terribly good at that sort of thing. I mean, we all figured out the rules of this world and we didn't even start off knowing how gravity worked.

It also helps to deliberatly address any important points. If the local ruler is evil and that's important for the readers to know, you need that demonstrated clearly. I have a list of points I need to make sure are demonstrated clearly for an upcoming science fiction story and as I sketch out the plot, I'll tick them off once they've been covered. Included are a number of points about the society at large as well as important point about the main character.

- Joel Fagin
DOOM2099
Regular Poster

Post by DOOM2099 »

My advice.

Start.

Now.

Write anything, just get it on the page. If you wait until this is better, or that's perfect, you will curse yourself later. Why do I say this?

I started a webcomic mostly as a joke, but it has been an excellent way to work out my ideas for the serious comic I wanna write some day. Every page I put on the interteron brings with it a load of notes for the "serious" comic.

And remember, you can change it all around and update it later on, if need be.

Just create, create, create.
________
Marijuana Vaporizers
Jordytim
Forum Member

Post by Jordytim »

What have you got so far?

ideas about keto slim diet