comics in the classroom

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

glych
Frequent Poster

Post by glych »

I am starting up my Digital Art class at my college and upon entering the class, my instructor began going about asking people why they chose this class. It's a fairly small campus, and we only had 10 people in the class- so the course is threatened to be dropped....so he was trying to come up with ideas to keep the class, i think...

It shocked me, that in my Art 130 & 140 (the class I was taking involving photoshop 6and illustrator 9)the majority of the students, 8 out of 10 (counting me) were all there to either start, improve, or understand digital comics and digital art. The other two were rather intrigued about our views...I'm not famous...my small posts here and lack of recongnition at comic con this year proove that, but nontheless, when I started with some of my views, I got a "is that- is that glych?" from at least 2 of my classmates.

So, out of nowhere, we began to plot a course outline and sillybus (sp?) for a digital comics/webcomics art class.

Now, if my Art 130/140 class doesn't survive, my instructor is trying to start this class...

I don't have a copy of the course outline handy just yet...

but what would you all think would be/needs to be involved with a class like this to teach about webcomics?

(And for the record, I was 1 of 3 keeners in there, all keepspacers... 1 was a fan of triangle and robert, 2 were fans of good ole' scott maddix, 1 was a mccloud follower -they're everywhere scott- and 1 was a zwol follower...)

the 2 non comic related students developed an interest as the discussion and debate went on.

So again- any ideas?

-glych
Jack Masters
Consistant Poster

Post by Jack Masters »

They should all have to write a comic on the internet!

Also, they should all pick some sort of novel creative limit (Like writing the comic backwards, or introducing a new character every thursday based on reader suggestions, except I already used those two).

Perhaps some of them could do joint, or at least overlapping comics, to encourage idea flow and comparison. I wouldn't make it a requirement, because some people and comics just don't lend themselves to overlap.

The course should focus on all the different major elements of comics, (I.E. story, humor, characterization, art, etc.) while picking up the little things as it goes along. (word balloons, html tricks, etc.)

And of course, they should all read Understanding and Reinventing Comics.
<a href="Http://CastleZZT.net/">House of Stairs</a>