3D webcomic

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

ShadowCaster
Frequent Poster

3D webcomic

Post by ShadowCaster »

Just a thought : 8) are red/green or red/blue couloured so called 3D glasses common in the US ? (Frensh magasines including a pair from time to time are not uncommon)
If so, it might be interesting to try 3D webcomic drawing, there are already softwares to help build images for those.
And in other countries ? What would be the audience ? (err... Readence ?... whatever... :oops: )
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Back in the mid 90's there was a bunch of 3D comics where you had to wear glasses. Of course it was not a new thing, just with technology of digital color it did peck the curiosity of the colorists. The one I remember the best is at Valiant because it used a process where the comic could be read without the "Valiant Vision" without it looking weird (not red blue seperation). It was just normal coloring, only using warm colors for the foreground and cool colors for the background. While for a standard superhero comic it did look okay but sometimes forced, however when used in their sci-fi space oriented Solar it worked like heaven.

In fact, knowing the secret, I took the glasses to art class and painted pictures with warm colors in front and cool colors in the back, gave the glasses to the teacher and got an A on the project.

I have not bought too many comics or even been in a store much lately. I stopped collecting monthly titles over year or four years ago. I do go in every blue moon to grab trade paperbacks. So I can not tell you if there was anything since then.
ragtag
Consistant Poster

Post by ragtag »

Never having been in the US, I believe they are not to hard to get a hold of there (or anywhere for that matter). I was planing to pick up a pair today, as I just discovered an anaglyphic (that's what it's called) driver for NVIDIA cards...which works with most games. I tried it yesterday with the red and green cardboard glasses I have, but they kept falling off as they are just flat and are made to be held by one hand. I'm going to see if I can find a proper pair of glasse in a toy or novelty shop.

There is another technology also used for viewing 3D on the computer. It uses interlaced images and 3d LCD shutter glasses. The glasses blink between the eyes at the refresh rate of the screen. When a screen refreshes it does so every other line, so for the first refresh it outputs the image for the left eye, and for the next refresh it outputs the image for the right one, and so on. These kind of glasses are a lot less common though and cost more, they also require a screen that can preferebly refresh at 120hz or more.

Anyways, here as some stereo images http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/Mar03/Mar03gallery.asp

Cheers,

Ragnar