Viz cancels Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

JamesBoren
Forum Member

Viz cancels Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix

Post by JamesBoren »

I found out from someone at Viz that vol. 5 of Phoenix will be last one translated due to poor sales. This is such a shame! Phoenix is one of the most mindblowingly brilliant comics ever created. Viz is partly to blame for doing nothing to promote it, but it's still so tragic that the greatest comic by arguably the greatest comic creator is dying due to lack of interest.

3 of 12 volumes have been published so far. If you haven't read Phoenix yet, go out and pick one up. Each vol. is a self-contained story so they can be read in any order. If you have read Phoenix, then get your friends to read it. We need to send a message to Viz through a spike of sales. Keep Phoenix alive!
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

I just bought and read Phoenix v.1 because of this post and it is really good, and the concept for the rest seems really interesting, and now I'm really disappointed that Viz is discontinuing the rest :cry:
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

I've since read volumes 2 and 3 (Volume 3 is Amazingly good), any word on whether Viz has changed their mind or if anyone else is going to print the rest of Phoenix? It's just such a shame. There are sooo soooo many crappy comics out there and when a noncrappy one gets published people don't buy it.
Stephen Henderson-Grady
Forum Member

Post by Stephen Henderson-Grady »

I just picked up a copy of the Dark Horse volume 1 of Astro Boy. I bought it because I knew Astro Boy was historically significant; I didn't expect it to be so amazing. It was touching and bold and thought provoking. I was in awe.

It was in the bargain bin for one dollar.
Stephen Henderson-Grady
http://marianne.keenspace.com
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

There's a reason Tezuka is the god of manga. Atomu is it
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Stephen Henderson-Grady wrote:I just picked up a copy of the Dark Horse volume 1 of Astro Boy. I bought it because I knew Astro Boy was historically significant; I didn't expect it to be so amazing. It was touching and bold and thought provoking. I was in awe.

It was in the bargain bin for one dollar.
I think I was corrupted because of reading Adolf, Pheonix, and Buddha before I read Astro Boy v.1 because i wasn't all that impressed by it. It was okay but not nearly as good as the other Tezuka comics I've read.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

I found out from someone at Viz that vol. 5 of Phoenix will be last one translated due to poor sales.
Are you sure? Where did you get this info? Is there any way to check up on this?

This can't be.... I haven't read the English versions, but the ones I have read in Japanese were AWESOME!! Some of the best comics I have ever read. I can't remember which volumes I've read, but I've read maybe 60-70% of the entire story all total, and some of the volumes past number five are ESSENTIAL reading, not just to comics readers but to all human beings, all over the planet. They are really weird tales of human suffering and desire.

The weird thing about Tezuka is that he was so incredibly prolific. I went to a manga coffee shop (is that something that is known about? "Manga kissa," short for "manga kissaten" refer to places where you can pay some money and then just sit there and read comics on the shelves) the other day and was surprised to find a whole WALL of comics by the guy!! I read some weird non famous stories by him, really obscure stuff, and it was INCREDIBLE!

So he has written so much stuff, hopefully some more of it will get over seas. What's available in English now?
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>