Ala acrobat reader page drag interface in HTML

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

ShadowCaster
Frequent Poster

Ala acrobat reader page drag interface in HTML

Post by ShadowCaster »

In acrobat reader, when viewing a page with a zoom making it bigger than the screen, you can drag the page to read it.
A web page containing a big webcomic is in a way a rectangular page bigger than the screen.
I could program the same dragging interface.
Do you think this would be user friendly ?
BuckBeaver
Frequent Poster

Post by BuckBeaver »

I use Acrobat Pro a lot at work and I've often thought of this. While I don't think it's as handy as the Tarquin engine, it would definately be user friendly.

I say go for it...as soon as you finish that Tarquin-like script. :wink:
Check out my NEW blog - PuppetVision
Retro-style puppet film and video goodness, delivered fresh to your computer each day!
ShadowCaster
Frequent Poster

Post by ShadowCaster »

Coded, but the reading experience felt awfull to me : for long vertical scrolling, you get the feeling that the web page is made of a way too big paper sheet that you have to drag along by physically moving the mouse, drag the damn sheet, then drop it, move over the damn sheet, and redo.
Reading becomes a real physical exercice.
Suggestions most welcome.

Post by Guest »

Can you send me a copy of the updated script to look at? I had the earlier version running very smoothly and was really impressed by it, but obviously the zooming capability would be nice to have.

- BuckBeaver (who is currently at work and can't remember his password to login properly)
ShadowCaster
Frequent Poster

Post by ShadowCaster »

I know it's a bit confusing but there is now three scripts :

Click to scroll : it's the one you have, and it's a finished working subset of javascript tarquin engine.
javascript tarquin engine : supports evry functionnality of orginal tarquin engine except zooming. Still under developpement to improve performance, compatibility and hopefully add zooming. Also supports the concept of invisible trail and diagonal pannel.
drag to scroll : inspired by acrobat reader interface, this thread is about it.

What are your willing to beta test BuckBeaver ?
BuckBeaver
Frequent Poster

Post by BuckBeaver »

I'd be willing to beta test all of the above, or at least as many components that you feel are ready for that. I can also post the results on a private secure page for you to check out if you like.
Check out my NEW blog - PuppetVision
Retro-style puppet film and video goodness, delivered fresh to your computer each day!
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I believe Bob Stevenson has a simular thing on his comics at: http://www.journeyintohistory.com/
Merlin
Frequent Poster

Post by Merlin »

> I could program the same dragging interface.
> Do you think this would be user friendly ?

I've actually previously tried this idea out in Flash here:

http://e-merl.com/comtet.htm

And in some sections of Sixgun here:

http://e-merl.com/sixgun.htm (click on the big head with closed eyes)

Like you, I also found the results to be a bit uneven - in theory it should be a nice fun reading experience but in practice it proves arkward.
New Experiments In Fiction

www.E-merl.com