Manley wishes: Professional-quality webcomics news portal

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Manley wishes: Professional-quality webcomics news portal

Post by Greg Stephens »

Sounds like a challange to me:
The webcomics community needs a professionally written news and editorial portal, similar in scope to Comicon Pulse or Comicbookresources.com --maybe with a little bit of savantmag.com or ninthart.com thrown in for good measure. Except, of course, focusing 100% on webcomics. It should have news (not just reposted press releases, but editorially filtered and interpreted stories about what's really important, what's really going on), and reviews, and essays, and interviews, and feature articles, and so on.

It needs to be completely independent, not directly funded by Modern Tales or Keenspot or anybody else (though I'm sure that some of us would want to buy ads on it, if it were popular enough, and professionally slick enough, for us to feel comfortable associating our brands with it -- and if we had money in our budgets for advertising).

It needs to be written by a diverse group of people -- people who like strips, people who like longform, people who like formal experiments, people who are more story-oriented. But it needs to be edited by one strong editor.

I know T Campbell tried this at one point, but I think he was too early.

We really, really need this. At this point in webcomics' development, the lack of such a thing is one of the biggest obstacles holding us back.

Who's going to do it?

Iain? Damonk? Gwalla? Somebody else?

Whoever it is going to be, please feel free to step up to the plate now. We need you.

Joey
www.moderntales.com
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Man, but I would love to do this. If I wasn't already caught up in about a dozen other projects (including three grad school courses, and publishing a whole other magazine), I'd be all over this. If anyone is thinking of making a go at it, and is looking for advice or input on the publishing aspects of this, I'd be more than happy to make myself available. Just drop me an e-mail.
japanimationfist
Consistant Poster

Post by japanimationfist »

I posted about this on the same thread that Joey started, but I didn't get much reaction. My fiancee is a graduate of the journalism programme at King's College University, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and she put together this project as part of her online journalism course (here).

She and I have talked about launching into something like Joey is talking about, and continuing on with the work she started for her assignment, but I think she is concerned about takign on the time and expense, and perhaps not getting enough support from the community.

Have a look at what she's already done, and give us some feedback.
Check out this week's <a href="http://www.monsterhollow.com">Featured Creature</a>
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I saw Leah's page. I'll have to e-mail her one of these days. Until then, send my compliments to her, Bill. I'd be willing to submit some web comic reviews if anybody wants them. :P