HHmm....

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

glych
Frequent Poster

Post by glych »

I noticed that no one else mentioned this. Frank Comier, http://framed.keenspace.com, has been doing this incredible thing called The Great Framed Excape involving over 52 seperate online comic strips. I realize that this is little more than a crossover, and doesn't change the art of effect of online comics much, but I think it shows the importance of links and communication that only the internet ca provide...I recommend reading the event from the beginning....

It's really rather interesting...

<a href="http://framed.keenspace.com">Framed!</a>

-glych

Ray Charles is blind.
God is Ray Charles!??!</b>
http://glych.keenspace.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: glych on 2001-09-06 01:29 ]</font>
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Post by Max Leibman »

Crossovers have a pretty bad reputation in the print comics industry, as they have long been a simple sales gimmick where marketing has come before story and the fans have been burned too many times.

However, this sort of thing should be encouraged with web comics. As you correctly point out, this shows off the importance of links and communication. The World Wide Web is called such because it is a "Web" of links -- a hypertext medium, where the connections among billions of documents give the each individual document much greater value than it could have alone. I have said before that web comics need to make greater use of hypertext; cross-overs are one way to encourage that use.

It should also be noted that the web is better suited to crossovers to begin with. Since nobody is making any money in most cases, commercial concerns never supercede creative ones. Also, fans are less likely to get burned; if the crossover turns out to be worse than the regular comics (as crossovers often do in the print world), well, hey, at least the reader didn't have to <i>buy</i> anything extra.

-Max Leibman

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Max Leibman on 2001-09-06 08:04 ]</font>
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I would also say that webcomic crossovers are a good thing (with the caveat that they be well-done crossovers, naturally). When I was first discovering online comic strips, it was a crossover with Waiting for Bob that led me to read Bobbins (which started here).

Actually, this is a good thread to mention the open-source character Ropa, who you can see appearing in my own comic here. Ropa is the creation of my friend (and an excellent digial artist) Jim Lawrence, and may appear anywhere. Ropa's kind of like a 1970s-era American sitcom character of indeterminate ethnic origin. His tag-line of "That's Ropa!" is usually spoken by Ropa himself after doing something enormously stupid and/or silly.

I'd given some thought to creating a page explaining the Ropa concept and offering him to the public domain to see how far he circulated in the public consciousness, but haven't been extremely motivated to do so as yet.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
damonk13
Frequent Poster

Post by damonk13 »

Heh.

The cartoonist count is more like 67 right now, i think... and more are joining everyday for a little experiment i have going on on September 20th...

(hey, if any of YOU are interested, then write to me at damonk@yahoo.com!)

As for "innovative" or "new", nahh... I just had a story to tell, and I needed the help of all my peers to tell it. Still, I think that a few things have happened and will happen in the event that certainly have never been done in webcomics before -- whether or not people will think these things to be noteworthy is another story... ^__^

I know that I *WILL* have LOTS to say about it when it's all done, that's for sure -- both good and bad!

And I hope that the links have been better, John, ever since you wrote to me... I've tried hard to always keep on top of things in that department, but it can be hard when a certain comic would be posted late one day, or not show up at all, etc...

Keeping track of a bajillion artists is not an easy task, as I have learned! O_o

frank "damonk" cormier
FRAMED!!!