www.scottmccloud.com

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

corneliusmurphy
Forum Member

www.scottmccloud.com

Post by corneliusmurphy »

Hi

Is it just me or is the scottmccloud.com website down? I haven't been able to go there for almost 2 weeks, just getting "The page cannot be displayed" error when I try :( .

I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I'm wondering if it's just a problem for me or my ISP or something.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

I haven't had any problems with it at home or at work.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I second that confirmation: Works for me, both www.scottmccloud.com and scottmccloud.com
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
corneliusmurphy
Forum Member

Must be just me then. A bit bizarre. I'll have to speak to my ISP I think. Haven't had any troubles with any other websites though as far as I've noticed :-?

Anyway, thanks for the responses
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

I'll let you all in on a little secret. It's part of a vast right-wing conspiracy. McCloud must be silenced! Does Clear Channel own your ISP? :wink: :wink:
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

no it's not. it's now for quiet long, that i cannot access scott's website from my flat, but i can from my parents place. at my place i have an adsl connection. here it is just isdn. and it is like that since around 4 weeks.

kaos
Amerigo
Regular Poster

Post by Amerigo »

Have you changed any settings on your computer or would someone else have changed them? Configuring your browser for a proxy, disabling cookies, etc. can all contribute to limiting your access to certain sites. Does anyone else tinker with your machine?
"One should not wish for the removal of mountains of adversity, but for the courage to climb them."
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

no, i am administrating both of my machines. but in my own flat we have a couple of machines at the network. from one day to the other none of the machines had access to www.scottmccloud.com. it makes no difference which browser you use, or if you have macos or win. it doesn't even make a difference if you access the cable modem via lan or wlan. so i can for sure say, it has nothing to do with our system. nothing was changed there. i personally guess there is a problem with cablecom, the provider. but sadly, there is no way to say and cablecoms support is crap. therefor no scott mccloud for me :(
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

You don't know what you've been missing for the last couple of weeks. He's been retracting parts of Reinventing Comics, stating that the internet is NOT the future of comics. He says that we need to get back to our roots in the print industry and to forget about micro payments, no one will go for it. It was a real shocker for me and the rest of the web cartoonist. So shocking in fact, that everyone is too stunned to talk about it.
BuckBeaver
Frequent Poster

Post by BuckBeaver »

Truly, you are an evil man. :evil: :P
Check out my NEW blog - PuppetVision
Retro-style puppet film and video goodness, delivered fresh to your computer each day!
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Eric is only telling half the story. Scott also declared that is now a right-wing Republican, and will be stumping for Bush. The current Morning Improv is called "Four More Years". :P
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Personally, I thought, "Kiss my Mimis you loony lefties!!" was a little over the top.... But I'll be lying if I said that I wasn't excited by his announced gamer-manga comic.
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

sorry to disturb your fun, but did anyone actually read my post? i do have a machine, with which i can access scottmccloud.com and eventhough it is only idsn, i am pretty up to date. i would just like to be able to access it again from my normal machine as well...

:D
BuckBeaver
Frequent Poster

Post by BuckBeaver »

Well, personally I have to apply Occam's Razor here - if you seem to be the only person experiencing difficulty on the site and cablecom is the ISP for all the machines you've tried chances are it's a cablecom problem as you suggested.

Other than calling your ISP I'm not sure what to suggest. An Internet Cafe perhaps? :-?
Check out my NEW blog - PuppetVision
Retro-style puppet film and video goodness, delivered fresh to your computer each day!
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

problem with my isp is, it is too big. even when their whole system is completely down they ask you at the phone things like: did you plug your modem into the electricity... yeah great! there is no way to call them about one address. that is the problem. except i'd know that i am for sure the only person. could it be that scott's server exclude certain IP ranges for some reasons?

kaos
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

i have an idea... could someone please give me the IP of scotts server, so i can cut around the domain? maybe that would help.

kaos
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

didn't work... could someone please check if http://206.194.103.3/ is really http://www.scottmccloud.com/
just enter the first in your browsers address bar and see if you land on scott's page.

thanks,
kaos
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Nope.. The page that comes up says that it's the future home of www.mightbnuts.com. I'm not joking.

How do you go about finding the IP address to a web site?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

efm wrote:How do you go about finding the IP address to a web site?
I don't know. I tried some basic research, but couldn't turn up the IP address. It's easy to find info about the hosting provider and the DSN server (for any website), but to get the exact IP address is beyond my knowledge. I used this IP address lookup tool, but go the same result as EFM. Whereas I don't think knowing the IP address is any more dangerous than knowing the domain name, it might be construed as an invasive if Scott's webhost were for some reason trying to keep that information confidential.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

hmm

Post by kaos_de_moria »

that is interesting. i got the IP on http://www.hcidata.co.uk/host2ip.htm and i can not access the IP i published either. therefor it would be good to have the real IP, so i could check if my ISP did not update a change of the IP in the proxy system. so if anyone would find the correct IP i'd be very happy.

kaos
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

getting closer to the problem. scottmccloud.com's name server is ns1.boilingpoint.com. boiling point seems to be a provider. problem is, i can't access their servers either. problem is, most people (if there is any) who can not access scottmccloud.com have no way to access this forum. i'll probably really have to call my ISP :-? :(

kaos
corneliusmurphy
Forum Member

Hi

My scottmccloud.com problem went away quite randomly after a few weeks, but it's just come back again for no apparent reason.

But strangely enough, we also have 2 machines here connected to an ADSL connection through a router. Haven't tried www.scottmccloud.com on the other machine yet.

Did you find a solution at all, Kaos?
kaos_de_moria
Consistant Poster

Post by kaos_de_moria »

no, it is still situation. i still can access scottmccloud.com only via modem and another ISP. my cable connection is still not working. don't ask me why. i have no idea. (or let's say, i do have an idea. my ISP is crap)

kaos
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

The EU fears Scott.