space around the panels...

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

new world
Forum Member

Post by new world »

I noticed that if you copy and paste the "squares" from some on line comics onto Microsoft Word, the space around each image (i.e. the space around the comic panel) was left white, though on the actual the space around each image site it isn't white space when you look at it online!! How do you do that??? I want to do that! I do not live in an English speaking country, and English books on web design are hard to come by...

(By the way, I sent this querry to Scott McCloud, but since I imagine he is too busy to answer it, or may have already answered it a million times, I thought I would send it in to this list...)
Sean Frost
Forum Member

Post by Sean Frost »

That's not a lot to go on, but the easiest answer could be that the image was a GIF with transparency between the panels.

Adobe Photoshop does this handily, and I imagine other image software does as well
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Post by Tim Mallos »

A link to the specific comic you are working with would help to better understand the question.

Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Post by Tim Mallos »

RE:How do you do that??? I want to do that! I do not live in an English speaking country, and English books on web design are hard to come by...

Check out <A Target="New" HREF="http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/">Web Monkey</A>. It's a good example of the many sites that can be used to learn about technology and design for the Web.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Also <a href="http://www.builder.com">Builder.com.</a>

Go to Authoring and Site design and click on "Basics."
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Also, English language books on Web design are available via Amazon.com.

However, if Amazon is unable to ship to your country or is otherwise inconvenient for you, I would agree with Tim & Scott that all the information you could ever want on the subject is freely available on the web. For example, a quick search at Google turns up this information about transparent .GIFs.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.