pen & ink text recomendations?

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

pen & ink text recomendations?

Post by gazorenzoku »

Looking for a good book on pen & ink technique. Any suggestions?
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Not really a recomendation, but I would stear clear from any "how to draw comics" books. All "how to draw comics" books suck majorly. So look for general art books, or take an art class ... however I know you have already done so Vince and your art shows it. So I am not sure what exactly you are looking for.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

yeah. I'm not the greatest artist in the world, that's for sure. Still have a LOOOOONG way to go before I am even a productive cartoonist. But I have been to a four year art school and spent two years studying Japanese painting as a research student after that. So I'm pretty much familiar with non-book-learning.

I just haven't had much experience using dip pens, and I kind of want to try. I'm usually more of a brush and ink kind of guy.

I'm just kind of looking for a good book that talks about how to clean and care for a pen, what kind of nibs give what kind of techniques, etc. etc. Probably stuff I will find out for myself once I start experimenting... but I just love reading about that kind of stuff...
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Until this past year I've always used dip pens. So here is my advice.
Most dip pen nibs have some sort of protective residue on them to keep it from rusting on the store shelves. This slick coating dosen't let the ink collect in the reservoir. So wash them in some soap and water when you get them home. You can use glass cleaner on the nibs when you are cleaning up, it's cheaper than the crap that they sell in art stores and it works better. Don't keep the nib in the pen when cleaning. All of the water (glass cleaner) won't come out of the end of the pen (no matter how much you shake it), it will start to rust the nib and after a while it's impossible to remove. Also cleaning the whole nib and letting it dry out of the holder will prevent the rust from forming in the first place. I hope that helps.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

thats some interesting advice. Thanks!!
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>