New Tarquin Comic - 24:Three

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Merlin
Frequent Poster

New Tarquin Comic - 24:Three

Post by Merlin »

I went 24 Hour Comicing at the weekend, resulting in this:

http://e-merl.com/24three.htm

Tarquin watchers should note that I used what I think is very likely to be the final release version of the Engine. The most notable visible change since the last version is support for a variety of different panel sizes (rather than everything needing to be kept to the same size squares).

This is the first time I've done a hypercomic as part of the 24 Hour challenge and it got me wondering - has anyone else done a 24 hour hypercomic before? I'd be a blast to be the first, but I get the feeling somone out there must have tried it before me.
New Experiments In Fiction

www.E-merl.com
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Pretty entertaining stuff.

Some random thinking:

I like the technology and everything, but so far what I've seen produced for it (and the Infinite Canvas program) are every bit as experimental as the display methods themselves.

So I've been wondering if people would be willing to use it on plain-jane vanilla comics. Not that I think it cant be applied to them, but I wonder if people who could use these programs wont because they associate it with "arty" comics.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Many 24-hour comics border on experimental (and others just jump in the deep end), so I think this example fits well within the tradition.

As to using Tarquin for less experimental narratives, I thought that- for all its hyperlinking style- the PoCom-UK-001 comic was very traditional. Perhaps only traditional in comparison.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
tymmi
Regular Poster

Post by tymmi »

William G wrote: so far what I've seen produced for it (and the Infinite Canvas program) are every bit as experimental as the display methods themselves.
What do you mean by experimental?

Most of Merlin's narratives are kind of out there, even without the Flashy delivery. But I'll agree with Greg on PoCom. That and Scott McCloud's Mimi's Last Coffee are only experimental in their use of branching paths.

As far as Infinite Canvas goes, Ryan Estrada's 2 comics Apron Iyagi and Z are pretty straightforward, as well as my own Tree City stories (the second of which is meant to mimic the reading of a standard comic book page).

Unless by plain-jane you mean gag strips. But there's really not much of a point to fancy-pants navigation for 3 panels.

(Get it? FLASHy? It's a pun.)
<a href=http://www.yellowlight.scratchspace.net>the Yellow Light</a>
comics and stuff

<a href=http://ayellowlight.blogspot.com/>Mostly Banal</a>
Merlin
Frequent Poster

Post by Merlin »

> but I wonder if people who could use these programs wont because they
> associate it with "arty" comics.

Yeah, that could be a problem. I guess we'll kind of have to wait and see how things shake out over time.

I think the Engine's main problem from a popularity front, is that it's really doesn't lend itself as well to the daily/weekly serialised format which the majority of webcomic creators (and their audiences) are most comfortable with. Although there could maybe be milage in using Tarquin to compile archives of several weeks/months of strips into single infinite canvas collections.

> What do you mean by experimental?

That's an interesting point. Anyone want come up with a definition of 'non-experimental' narrative types? Maybe something along the lines of 'stories that foreground the development of character and plot over formalist explorations of the medium'?

I'd actually maybe drop Scott's Mimi back into the experimental camp as its creation follows some specific improvisational rules to generate the narrative.
New Experiments In Fiction

www.E-merl.com