QUESTION: How do you remember comics?

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Post by Max Leibman »

Inspired by a post on the <a href="http://www.delphi.com/ellis">Warren Ellis Forum</a> and the edition of <a href="http://www.geocities.com/comicmetaphysi ... 9.html">my column</a> on the subject, I pose this question to all comics creators, theorists and enthusiasts here:

<b>How do you remember comics?</b>

When you read a comic, how does it play in your mind when you think of it later? Static images, or do you animate it in your imagination? Do you picture the words you read on paper or hear them in your memory? Do you recall specific page layouts, or just general ideas?

-Max Leibman
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I'd say that depends on why I'm remembering a particular comic. If I'm remembering the story, I'm more likely to replay the chunk of the story in my head complete with the closure that I experienced when I first read it. That is to say, I do visualize motion to a certain degree. If, on the other hand, I'm thinking about something technical, then I am more likely to visualize the static panels and linger on each one.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
rcar
Consistant Poster

Post by rcar »

I remember the art work. But that is normally how I look at comics, literally. Sometimes I read them but I don't remember specifics in writing unless it is bad. What I have noticed with art and comics is if you don't see anything wrong you did well. People will remember the mistakes and not the success.

Randy
glych
Frequent Poster

Post by glych »

The artowrk, angles, anatomy, and facial expressions first...then onto the diologue...I hear it in my minds....um...ear (?)....like hearing a play....

So when I remember old comics, I rmemeber the static or slightly slow motion moviemnt of the character as they say thier lines...

-glych
---
"I may not be able to move that rock, but -man- can I make that rock think it's been moved"-Corran Horn, Star Wars

Glych's Experiment
damonk13
Frequent Poster

Post by damonk13 »

the HOOK.

it's all about the HOOK.

sometimes it's art, sometimes it's writing, sometimes it's a certain little something that's a hybrid of both.

but it's that TWIST that makes it DIFFERENT from others that i remember. i guess i just LIKE things that seem new and different :grin:
frank "damonk" cormier
FRAMED!!!