need your help!

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

hey guys,

i'm fixing to post my latest redesign of magicinkwell.com and i'm going to be stripping down the archive to leave more room for the newer strips. so....

i need everyone that's even remotely interested at all to let me know which strips you'd like to see included in the new archive. i don't have a lot of room anymore and i'm just completely horrified with some of the early work :wink:

i'm only posting this here because i've valued the opinions and suggestions of all of you. you've helped me really steer magicinkwell.com in the past year or so.

i'm only going to have 50 strips in the archive (this includes FRITZ strips). WHIMVILLE will be taken down completely (in anticipation for a relaunch of the story sometime next year before sandy eggo at it's own URL (hopefully whimville.com).

so.... anyway, please cast your votes now!!

thanks,
cayetano
magicinkwell.com
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Post by Max Leibman »

CAT: Well, here are my votes:

First of all, the "State of Online Comics" strips (#100-104) are a must. I love these. They may not be as long or informative as Scott's <i>I Can't Stop Thinking</i>, but they make up for it in attitude and general hipness.

Secondly, my all-time favorite Magic Inkwell strip is #111, the song one. It resonates with me in a surprisingly deep way.

Third, the "images[no words]" strip, #74, just for sheer imagination. It always makes me think of 80s videogame iconography (PAC-MAN and ROBOTRON decalls, the art on the sides of old arcade games, etc.) slammed into "Hello Kitty"-ish Manga pop. Plus, it's just so bizarre and original.

I still haven't read most of the first two sections of the archive, though, so I reserve the right to come back and suggest more "Keepers." :)

EVERYBODY ELSE: There are way more than 50 entertaining and creative strips at <a href="http://www.magicinkwell.com/">Magic Inkwell</a>, so if you haven't cruised the archive yet, <i>GO NOW WHILE THERE'S STILL TIME!</i>

Max Leibman
<a href="mailto:comicmetaphysic@yahoo.com">comicmetaphysic@yahoo.com</a>

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/comicmetaphysi ... iderata</a> - Comic and associated strangeness posted daily.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Max Leibman on 2001-10-10 16:09 ]</font>
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

good old max! thanks for the suggestions! these are definitely on my list of "keepers" as well.

i was getting a little worried there when no one was posting. (the insecurity of an artist i guess...). i knew you' d be the first to post something, tho! :wink: also, it occured to me that ppl might just need time to troll through the archives looking for anything to salvage...

alright. hopefully the rest of you will have some suggestions as well!! i could really use the help. i really would rather just scrap the whole damn archive and start from scratch. i feel like i've "outgrown" some of those early strips.... artistically speaking. also in the compatibility with the medium we're working in here....

thanks again max!

cat "i'm definitely going out of my mind this time" garza
damonk13
Frequent Poster

Post by damonk13 »

HI Cat!

I just finished going through your archives again in order to try to help you out, and i marked down every comic that struck me on one level or another -- here's my list:

6, 14, 15, 16, 24, 34 (i like the form), 36 (for sure!!), 37, 40, 51, 56, 64, 72, 73, (i love the hypnocoin bit -- nostalgia, baby!), 75, 82, 85, 86, 95, 96, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 (<--these five are absolutely BRILLIANT), 107, 110, 112, 114, 115, 116, 117, 119, 124, 126...

...and ALL the fritz comics!

this comes to almost 50 (like 45 or so)...

if you go to all of these, you'll notice that a lot of my choices are ones where you experiment with form or just do something notably different.

Of course, i DO like pretty much everything you've done so far, and can't wait for Whimville to come back as its own site!

Let's hope that this helps a bit, and i beg you to forgive me if i don't offer a detailed reason for each one of my choices -- that would take too long, and you'd likely fall asleep by the end of it! :grin:

"Boudy!"
frank "damonk" cormier
FRAMED!!!
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

frank,

thanks for the suggestiones, and just in time! i'm about to update the archive. hopefully the site will be up by the end of this next week. if i can pull an all nighter tonight maybe even tomorrow (?!) we'll see...

thanks for taking the time to look at all the old stuff and pick your faves. this has really helped me out a lot!!!

cat
Bjorn
Regular Poster

Post by Bjorn »

Ack! You'll keep copies of everything offline, won't you? For later, I mean, this is great stuff. I'd say 1-126 are all keepers :wink:
Bjorn
Regular Poster

Post by Bjorn »

Well, to be a bit more helpful, here are the ones that 'did it' for me (+ those mentioned by Max and damonk):

1, 22, 53, 58, 67, 77, 93, 109, 113, & 118

Hope that helps :smile:
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

thanks for the suggestions! god knows when i'll finally have the new site up. i'm really taking my time to make sure it's top notch and completely user friendly. all the suggestions have been considered and i'll make the final cuts when i post the site. don't worry, i've got copies of all this stuff. still, i like the idea of ar t that's temporary. just think, ten years from now you'll remember one you saw and enjoyed in the "early days" that no one will ever get to see again. i think that's cool.

soon....

cayetano
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

....but then again, i might be wrong.... :wink:

got a nice little renovations alert on my site. check it out...