GAM Press Release – October 1st 2005

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

L Jonte
Regular Poster

Post by L Jonte »

Begging Mr. McCloud's indulgence...

by Lisa R. Jonté

It’s done. Two months of ninja-in-the-shadows editorial work, some impressive acting where folks could see and here we are. GirlAMatic has a new Editor, seven fantastic new series and is well on its way to having a complete visual overhaul.

After two and half years, Lea Hernandez, the originator, Founding Editor and driving force behind GirlAMatic has decided to step down. It’s been a long and successful run, but it seems she felt it was time to shake things up and, at the same time, find more time to actually make comics herself. I would not deny her. As if I could. She hit me with the idea one day like a bolt from the blue. During the chaos that is Comic-Con International, while chatting with Spike and I, Lea casually asked,

“Hey Spike, if I stopped being the Editor, you work for Lisa?”

Spike’s response, though surprised, was a decided,“Yes.”

My own response was far less articulate, involving a great deal of stammering and repeated uses of, “WHAT!?”

Within two weeks the deed was done and I was in charge. Since then I have been working furiously while Lea continued to be the public face of GirlAMatic. The result is our new line-up of creators and their series.

1. By the Wayside by Leigh Dragoon
Wherein an exorcist with job performance issues, and a mystically sensitive runaway with lots of other issues, collide.

2. Carnation Grows Up by Sushu Xai and Isaac Hoffer
Described by its creators as, “Magical girl lesbian comedy family drama romance hijinks ensue." Seriously, what's not to love?

3. Claviger by Ronnie Casson
The story of Wishkeepers, and what happens when one of them misses a call.

4. Gypsy by John Peters, creator of Forty Winks
Show tunes, quackery and brains that are just too damned full. The rest you wouldn’t believe me if I told you.

5. Hold My Life by Dale Ingram
Heartbreak and hard rock combine in this modern-day fable of revenge and self discovery.

6. Return of the Mad Bun by Rachel Hartman, creator of Amy Unbounded
Rachel comes back to comics and to the internet for the first time with some fabulous Pau-Henoa fun. There will be antics!

7. Ironclad Petal by Lea Hernandez, creator of Rumble Girls, Cathedral Child, Clockwork Angels, co-creator of killer Princesses, and creator/founding Editor of GirlAMatic.com
Lea stays on to bring her own brand of magic to GAM with this all new Texas Steam-punk tale.

Each and every one them is brilliant, quirky and gorgeous and I hope that you will love them and their work as much as I do. Together we will do our best to give you the entertainment you have come to expect from GirlAMatic, and much, much more.

In the coming months, there will be even more changes, as we tailor our look to fit our newly energized atmosphere. Watch for it, I think you will all be pleased.

2 years, 6 months, 1 day, more than 30 creators, numerous series, incidents, arguments, experiments, discoveries and one damned fine ride, it’s all good. It’s all GirlAMatic. Get ready for more.
Lisa Renee Jonté
Artist, Writer, Flibbertigibbet
Arcanum Visual
GirlAMatic.com
Ian Jay
Forum Member

Post by Ian Jay »

Wow. Sounds neat. But have you considered (for space-saving purposes) mashing all seven of your new comics into one?

I can picture it now: Lesbian hard-rock exorcists in Texas who grant wishes for down-on-their-luck Broadway actors in their spare time. Also: whatever Pau-Henoa is. (I'm thinking it's maybe some sort of Polynesian fruit dish. Shows how stupid I am.) I know I would read it!

Then again, I'll probably read these seven seperately, also. Never mind.

~IJ
L Jonte
Regular Poster

Post by L Jonte »

Ian Jay wrote:Wow. Sounds neat. But have you considered (for space-saving purposes) mashing all seven of your new comics into one?

~IJ
HA! GirlAMatic goes Reader's Digest? BRILLIANT! :D
Lisa Renee Jonté
Artist, Writer, Flibbertigibbet
Arcanum Visual
GirlAMatic.com