fanboy editors

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Phlip
Frequent Poster

fanboy editors

Post by Phlip »

(and fan-girl editors!)

Don'tcha just love the fanboys? (those of you blessed with a virtual entourage of them, at least.) But not all of them are below you in the pecking order!

If you want a gig on one of the comic book assembly lines, you might respond to a challenge like this:

http://homepage.mac.com/dmcduffie/site/testplot.html

They ask you to read the script, and draw the standard action sequences for it.

Specifically, you are not expected to provide your own interpretation or influences. The script appeals to our diety "Kirby" as your official influence, so if you have any other influences (or, gods forbid, if you are orginal), you might as well not apply.

The plot is standard fist actions that appeal to a reliable crop of teen boys with low self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy. The protagonist and the heel do not use polite words, or guns, to settle their differences.

"With a huge CRACK, Static punches the much bigger man in the face with a fist that crackles with electical energy. It's a big right cross that has driven the big man off of his feet, he's falling backwards, arms spread, feet off of the ground like one of those old Kirby shots of the Hulk clocking the Thing."

Oh, oh how original! I'm expected to draw the bad guy, huge but forshortened, in the foreground, as if this Static asshole's tiny fist were capable of lifting his entire, heavy body AND rotating it until the head projects out of the panel!

No more tea for me, ma-ma! I'm orf to the dreawwing reaume to pleay the greeand-peeean-eeaiou!

Sorry, guys. I just had to get that off my chest. At least someone's making a living producing such drivel...