Is there a place for a marketer in webcomics?

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

Is there a place for a marketer in webcomics?

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

I'm a marketer by trade. Scroll down to "Scott Jensen" at this link for who I am: http://www.fariel.com/About/

I like the idea of webcomics free on the net and am a daily reader of several. What I would like to do is use my marketing talents to push a select number of high quality free webcomics to the next level. To help them become more popular and/or profitable. Made more profitable not by changing their free status or charging to view their archives but with other sources of revenue so the webcomic itself can remain free. The strategy being to continue to use the free webcomic to attract, build and maintain a fan base while making a profit in other ways.

But what I wonder is how to do this ... or if this is even a realistic possibility. One of the ways I could see this happening is if a well-known and respected webcomic artist could gather together such a group of webcomic artists to pool their resources, incorporate, and hire someone like me. It wouldn't be cheap. I alone would cost $4,000 a month plus the cost of normal benefits. And there would need to be money for a marketing budget. A marketer without a marketing budget is like a racecar without gas. At minimum, the monthly marketing budget should be at least what my monthly salary is.

One of my ideas for such a group is a series of webcomic conventions around the world. Where the webcomic artists are the stars and not a sideshow. Ideally, where the entire vendor hall is only made up of booths of webcomic artists. Where their fans can come and pay homage ... as well as pay for some tie-in merchandise and compilation books. :wink: The webcomic artists drawing their local fans to the convention and then getting to expose the fans of other webcomics to their webcomic. The convention run as a business operation like how many Star Trek conventions are. The con owned by the partnership of the webcomic artists and thus profits (from admissions tickets, concession sales, etc.) divided amongst them.

But the question is: Is this just a fanciful dream or something worth exploring? Thoughts, comments, suggestions, and constructive criticism appreciated.

Also, where would be another good forum to post this idea?
Last edited by Pumpkin Pie on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Re: Is there a place for a marketer in webcomics?

Post by Greg Stephens »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:Also, where would be another good forum to post this idea?
I think the Talk About Comics forum would have some room for this kind of discussion.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

Re: Is there a place for a marketer in webcomics?

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Greg Stephens wrote:
Pumpkin Pie wrote:Also, where would be another good forum to post this idea?
I think the Talk About Comics forum would have some room for this kind of discussion.
Thanks for the link, Greg. However, looking over their endless sub-forums, am I correct that the most appropriate one for my post would be the "Etc." forum? http://www.talkaboutcomics.com/phpBB2/v ... .php?f=107 It seems a little odd they don't have a forum that just talks about the business end of webcomics, but, then again, maybe I missed it when I looked them over.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Couldn't tell you that. You'd have to do a little exploration.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Ok. I put it into the "Creating Comics" sub-forum. :D
Pumpkin Pie
Consistant Poster

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

The concept has changed a "bit". Moving from conventions to museums. Here's where the change was posted at Comixpedia:

http://comixpedia.com/international_web ... wcase_tour

I have also asked that if one wants to continue to discuss the convention version of the idea, that they do so in this forum:

http://www.talkaboutcomics.com/phpBB2/v ... 972#321972

I would appreciate input on one or both threads from people here. :D