FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
comics?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> (Web)Comics Theory: ART
Previous: PostSixgun: Good God Damned Next: PostArqAngel....and interface design....  
ming
Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juxtaposed sequntial images,thats our defination for comis right?what happeneds when the words become images ala fonts, typography,and graphic design.there are some graphic design books out there which tell stories,or a messege in pure typogaphic style...what do you guys think... comics?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this question is bound to spark some degree of disagreement, but I'll go first and say that "words is words is words, no matter how pretty" meaning that a story told entirely in words isn't going to be a comic. There may be exceptions, so please provide examples.

Off the top of my head, here's one: There are many comics that use pictures without words to tell a story, but John Byrne did the reverse with Alpha Flight number (um...) six, where he took a few pages to literally tell the story of a polar bear in a snowstorm. There were no drawings, but the rest of the comic conventions were there- word balloons, panels, sound effects- and the position and shape of the word balloons and panels conveyed the sense of the action. I don't know that it was received extremely well by the reading audience, who said that they generally like pictures in their comics, but it was an interesting experiment. It is similar to sequences in comics where panels (for whatever reason) are entirely black with only word balloons, but the important thing to keep in mind is that generally these sequences are told within the context of a larger comic story that does feature pictures and they maintain the comic trappings of panels and word balloons. This is differs from your primary example of typography, fonts and complex layouts, but the differences are significant.

Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many comics, such as my own and Patrick Shaugnessy's, have each character speak in a different font. And, of course, as they experience extreme sensations or want to say something in an odd way, those are represented as distortions in that font.

A dialogue could happen simply in different fonts... and action in a neutral onomatopoeia.... but then what you have is essentially a screenplay...

The line of what is and isn't a comic is vague here. I think there can be a gradient of artforms.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> (Web)Comics Theory: ART All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: