looking for an artist to continue my comic

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

yellowgerbil
Forum Member

looking for an artist to continue my comic

Post by yellowgerbil »

The comic is available at http://thisplacecallednowhere.com/?comic=page1-2
So a few years ago I hired an artist friend of mine to draw this for me because I don't have the art chops to tackle my stories that I care about, instead my own artwork is relegated to less meaningful works. This Place Called Nowhere is a comic I care a lot about and when it was clear I couldn't handle the task of doing the art myself (the last page, 11, was drawn by me) I decided to just set it aside.
I came across this site earlier today and am just curious if I can find an artist that is the right fit for it. I don't have much money so could only pay 70$ a page, preferably colored but I could do that myself if that is the only way that the 70$ will be adequate (I colored page 8 )
If I do find an artist it will likely be offering sporadic work as I can get the money (my patreon for my comic only makes me a little over 100 a month and I live paycheck to paycheck).
I would like to do a test run with any artist interested by first having them draw page 11 better than I can, So if you think you can do better than my poor attempt at emulating the previous artist (and preferably add some of your own personality) then feel free to email me at yellowgerbilcomics@gmail.com
please send samples of your work, I'll also happily look at samples posted here or links to them in the comments.
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

Not an artist

Post by Ruyei »

I think your art is fairly excellent. You have some perspective issues, but even these I had to look fairly hard for. With some additional practice I think you're more than capable of drawing your own comic, and I think you would save a fair amount by doing so. The page 11 I saw is very atmospheric, which excellent character designs that remind me of a much less exaggerated version of the adventure time art style. This realistic edge with a touch of comedy is perfect for your piece.

If I would recommend you get assistance is that you get a good editor or a co-writer. Much of the work so far has very clunky text that feels redundant, with much of the art not even needing the text. For example page 1 panel 2 would benefit from the text not being there, since that is a beautiful panel, and knowing that its beautiful out (or that the girl thinks it is) is not really necessary. Same with panel 3 where all she should be saying is "Wow" since we know she sees a praying mantis and a child just exclaiming is more natural.

Page 4 suffers from this the most, with a poem that doesn't flow almost blocking the smaller panels, quite literally doing so in panel 2.

If you do get a cowriter or editor it wouldn't cost nearly as much as 70$ a page, especially if the collaborator has a good eye for art.

It is possible to find this position "for free" but you're going to get a bunch of first timers or those who are doing it for the laughs...which is not something you want. There is obvious emotion behind this piece and I can tell that you feel passionate about communicating it to the world.

Best,
Robert/Ruyei

(P.S. Zwol is kinda quiet. I'd try Reddit as well for looking for talent)
WillEd
Regular Poster

Post by WillEd »

I agree you draw quite well. Maybe you don.t enjoy drawing, which is different. I know a very good artist that might be fairly close to your atyle whose standard rate is less than that. PM me for more info.
vanikos
Reinvents comics

avaliable to work

Post by vanikos »

I'm an comic artist,illustrator and concept artist with experience, working since 2010 and now I'm available for work.
You can contact me at thiagoinkblood@gmail.com (I'm only accepting paid work, not royalities and so on).
You can see more of my work here: http://vanikos.blogspot.com.br
Image Image Image Image
I hope answers, thank you all
Comics CD
Understands reinventing

Re: looking for an artist to continue my comic

Post by Comics CD »

I am interested in a collaboration with you. I am penciler , inker and I can color too .You can see some of my work here
http://comicscojanudan.blogspot.ro/

Thank you
Dan Cojanu
Comics CD
Understands reinventing

Re: looking for an artist to continue my comic

Post by Comics CD »

....My e.mail is cojanudan@gmail.com