Digital Paper: The real future of comics?

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Amirai
Forum Member

Post by Amirai »

It's all been said before - the problems with monitors, low resolution, eyestrain, lack of physical product, relying on selling the experience itself, which has been done with very little sucess so far... and paper, which comes with publishers, editors, and very little pay/profits.

I think the true answer lies with digital paper, not monitors. That's right, digital paper. It's just what it sounds like - a flexible, paper-thin rectangle with 'pixels' that can change to display whatever you want.

It already exists, and by the end of this year, 2002, it should be full color and 300dpi - magazine standard. It can even wirelessly connect to the internet and recieve updates - like a magazine or newspaper that automatically updates every month - or, obviously, a comic book. You could store or access an entire comic series in one 'issue' - so when you got to the end, you'd just tell it to update with the next set of pages, flip back to real page 1 and continue the story. Tired of one story? Switch over to another in the same book.

It solves all the problems with monitors and the internet. The resolution is the same as print comics, there's no 'screen refresh' or illuminated image to irritate your eyes, you can carry it with you anywhere, it's something tactile and real, your customers will still be downloading the comics, so it completely eliminates the middlemen of publishers adding to the cost, the library of comics readable is as big as whatever you can put on the internet, comics will be the same quality as print and cost as little as you want to charge your readers because you're not technically selling a physical product, thereby reducing the cost of comics to an almost rediculous level while boosting sales and interest in the medium itself - the list goes on and on!

And for any skeptics out there, here's an article about it. There are tons more, just do a little searching.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opini ... 060701.htm

Can you believe this?? They even are thinking about making digital CLOTHING. We could have an episode of a tv show playing on our shirts! If we were in range of a wireless network, we could even do the same with streaming video from the internet! Heck, soon we can be walking ANIMATED consumer billboards!! And can you imagine the animated tye-dye?!

It's all within the next 2-4 years. A little ways off, but I see this as the true future path for comics. :smile:

Disscussion, please!
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Post by Tailsteak »

To be honest, I can't see it catching on. I mean, back in the sixties, they thought paper clothing was the next big thing.

There would be many disadvantages to such a product. The most obvious is the fact that it would be very easy to break or lose.

All I know is, I personally, will not have one of these things by 2005.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

sounds great to me.

i imagine that problems with the product could be solved... like if it tears easily, then it could come attached to a thin metal or plastic backing or something like that.

when our grandparents were children, t.v. didn't even exist, and now look at all the crazy gagets we've got. I can't wait to see all the weird stuff they think up...

vince
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
cweb
Forum Member

Post by cweb »

I remember reading about digital paper years ago in a magazine.

I can't wait for it to become a practical and cheap reality. If it's expensive it won't catch on, but if the price is very low then it will be a hit.
<a href="http://www.apokalupsis.com">Apokalupsis</a> webcomics
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

i'm tired of worrying about the future. i'm going to just worry about right now. when and if digital paper comes out, i'll give it a try. if it doesn't work then i'll try something else. everyone's just out to make a buck anyway, right?

thanks.
ashess
Regular Poster

Post by ashess »

yay ^^ it'd save me a lot of carrying if I could get books like that.
still, it'd be great if they could do the same for drawings in the making. you know, scribble it down in 'screenformat' the first time. at least, 9/10 of what _I_ carry around is drawing utencils.
course, I'm crazy.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

On 2002-01-07 08:43, catgarza wrote:
i'm tired of worrying about the future. i'm going to just worry about right now.
Yeah, you can sure rack your brains out just thinking, "If only this that or the other was already out for general consumption, my job (or hobby or whatever) would be soooo much easier!" When I first started doing online comics, I spent a lot of time worring about when I would be able to utilize a micro payment system... now I have finally learned just to take it all in stride.

But it sure is interesting to be kept informed about all the newest developments...

vince
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>

Post by Guest »

When I first started doing online comics, I spent a lot of time worring about when I would be able to utilize a micro payment system...
micro system's never gonna work.
no-one's gonna pay as long as there's free stuff out there- and there always will be.
only way anyone's gonna make any money off the net is by banners *sigh*
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Devices like the ones that Amirai mentions absolutely will come about. I don't think it's just a question of somebody making a buck off the concept, but the shaping of our culture(s) by new technology. Paper was, at one time, a new technology, and now it's everywhere. Portable information is something that people not only want, but they think they need (ask an aboriginal islander what he truly 'needs' and you won't find digital anything on that list. A portable information tool, on the other hand, he might find useful- even if that tool is simply paint applied to skin).
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
sandy carruthers
Regular Poster

Post by sandy carruthers »

Amirai wrote:
"Heck, soon we can be walking ANIMATED consumer billboards!!"
We already have that... they're called t-shirts.
One of my prize finds I have in my studio is this comicbook rack I found in an alleyway. I quickly emptied my coffin-like comic boxes and filled it up. I even removed the plastic off them. I discovered I'm actually a comic book reader not a collector. What is the point of this rant. A major part for me is the tactile sensation when experiencing the comicbook medium. Webcomics, like webnovels are fine to a certain extent, they get to explore and experiment and express in their own unique way... but they will never replace the printed word. Never. I'm afraid this holds true for the digital page concept. It's very cool. Very innovative. It will probably be yet another means of communication... but it will not replace print. Ten years ago, the buzz was that we lived in the age of 'The End of Print'. It hasn't happened. Nor will it. As long as there are varying salary levels... there will be print. Maybe that's what it will evolve to: The masses who are poor, who can't afford digital stuff... will always have print to rely on. Interesting.
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Post by Tailsteak »

At very least, we'll still need paper to *produce* the comics...
ScottE
Forum Member

Post by ScottE »

"At very least, we'll still need paper to *produce* the comics..."

Some of us are working on that, actually. If anyone's interested, I can describe the process that's being worked on right now, and what some of the issues are...
ashess
Regular Poster

Post by ashess »

yes please!
Jack Masters
Consistant Poster

Post by Jack Masters »

I havn't drawn a comic on paper in more then half a year, actually.
<a href="Http://CastleZZT.net/">House of Stairs</a>
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Post by Tailsteak »

You know what I meant. Some of us still like ink on dead trees.
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

yes, some of us still do! :wink:

although, that might change quick if i can just get a new wacom tablet.... :smile:
ScottE
Forum Member

Post by ScottE »

Wacom tablets... it's very different from pen and ink (or brush and ink). When I first started using the tablet I was expecting it to replace the pen/brush; but I missed the tooth of paper, and the resistence and weight of a pen or brush.

It wasn't until I started to experiment with it for other purposes that I got really satisfying results. If you use Illustrator, for e.g., the brush tool is quite versatile, and with a bit of practice, can be used with very good results, I think. I've since used it for creating fonts in brush- or pen-script, inking characters, and backgrounds, with only one caveat. I found I have to try and keep it as simple as possible, or the redraws become very slow in Illustrator.