...ok..I gotta ask

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

...ok..I gotta ask

Post by Tim Winstead »

I hope this doesn't embarrass me like I think it's gonna but WHAT THE HEY...I need to know the definition of what I've heard coined as "webcartoonist"..OK, so I may be a leeeetle behind in my p.c.savvy,
but could the term be referring to the actual work done via p.c. or does it refer to using the p.c. to e-mail and / or post the art online?...A very elementary queustion to most ,I'm sure..but you can't learn if you don't ask. Please be kind in your reply. Thanx all, Tim
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

webcartoons are cartoons published on the web (the internet)

A webcartoonist is the guy that makes them.

Some say the cartoons have to be made especially for the 'net; others (like me) feel fine if they were intended for print first but are being published online. To me, when it's on the net, and it's a comic, it's a webcomic.

NO, you don't have to create them on a PC (or mac) : just scanned "traditional" art is fine also!

"e-mail" comics aren't soooop wide-spread, but I guess you shouldn't call them webcomics, as they aren't published on the net (yet).

webcomics/webcartoons/e-mail comics/scanned comics...

To me they're all digital(ized) comics...

Welcome to this (always-expanding) community :D

Youi should read the threads on this BBS if you've still got questions, and if that doesn't help, feel free to ask away 8)
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

Thanks,Yingo

Post by Tim Winstead »

Hey, thanks for the information..I had an inkling as to what the term meant
but I was unsure..you cleared that up...thanx :D
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Yingo wrote:"e-mail" comics aren't soooop wide-spread, but I guess you shouldn't call them webcomics, as they aren't published on the net (yet).
Technically, a comic published via e-mail is published on the net, since e-mail is part of the internet. It's not a webcomic, though... unless perhaps both the sender and receiver are using webmail systems. Then it might be a very odd webcomic.
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

Wikkit wrote:Technically, a comic published via e-mail is published on the net, since e-mail is part of the internet. It's not a webcomic, though... unless perhaps both the sender and receiver are using webmail systems. Then it might be a very odd webcomic.
Yup, you're right 8)
...tecnically, webmail-based comics are not much different from "password-protected" comic sites...which makes them...
a very odd webcomic.
8)
Last edited by InkAddict on Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

Thanks

Post by Tim Winstead »

I gotta tell you people...this is perhaps the most usable message board
that I have used yet..I was frequenting 'Planet Cartoonist" and that board in of itself is very good, but it seems to me that most of the users are more or less vying for work. That, I have no problem with, but because of
a question I asked,Iwas directed to this site . You people and your advice
to the unknowing is fantastic. Think I'll stay awhile. Thanx all...Tim