Looking for a humourous writer for new project.

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

tjrossin
Forum Member

Looking for a humourous writer for new project.

Post by tjrossin »

Hi,

I've developed a new comic and series of characters that I want to throw into a weekly gag strip. I'm looking for short four frame gags in keeping with the type of stuff below. As with all projects like this... It's going to initially be web based until I gather enough traffic to sell it onto other sites, magazines and papers so there's no guarentee of money. What I can offer is professional illutrations to accompany your mini scripts. I can guarentee your name on the work and website and if there is money to be made, then there's a cut based on a sale by sale basis of your work.

Thanks for viewing

Tris

P.S,

This is a serious business concept so serious offers only please.

WILLEDELMAN
Forum Member

Post by WILLEDELMAN »

Thanks
Last edited by WILLEDELMAN on Thu May 14, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjrossin
Forum Member

Post by tjrossin »

WILLEDELMAN wrote:I have been trying to prepare a submission to MAD MAGAZINE, a 9 panel strip, for their comic strip section, but my drawing ability is limited. Would you be interested in drawing it? I was going to try to find someone willing to do it for $50, but if that art sample is representative of your work, which is very good (not amateur), I'll go a little higher. $75 okay? This would be considered as an advancement. If the submission is accepted, then you would remit to me the $75 from the much higher amount you would receive from MAD (they pay the artist and writer separately). If the submission is rejected, you would keep the $75 as full payment and I'll try to figure out whatt to do with it. If you think you might be interested, let me know andI I'll send you the script. My E mail address is: will.15@netzero.com
Thanks
Sent you an email... Give me a shout
buzzkill
Forum Member

Post by buzzkill »

Do they have to be 4 frames?
tjrossin
Forum Member

Post by tjrossin »

buzzkill wrote:Do they have to be 4 frames?
It's better as four frames. Quick gags, fast turnover and more marketable to sites that want something daily to keep customers coming back. I do intend to market this in all areas though and would love to market it on something like the Garfield franchise. So longer stories (three to four pages max based on nine frames per page) would be an option. But getting it out there and quickly is my main priority. On that basis good, quick gag scripts would need to take priority.
tjrossin
Forum Member

Post by tjrossin »

Hi again...

I've had quite a few emails and requests for further information on the characters etc..etc.

I'll post it in a few days when I've sorted it al out.

Thanks

Tris
tjrossin
Forum Member

Post by tjrossin »

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who's shown an interest in this project and to the writers who have contacted me. I've reviewed many fantastic scripts and previously commisioned pieces for comics.

I'd firstly like to highlight how I'm going to do this. That is... How I'd like to work with you.

Based on the the fantastic sumbissions I've recieved, I find it almost impossible to choose a writer specifically for the job which has led me to the question, "how do I decide?". So I intend to leave the job open to all. (Illustrated by myself and written by the world).

What I mean is I'll open up the job for submission. If a particular script is good, I'll use it. In return you get your name directly linked to that particular comic sequence for you to use to generate additional income. The work will automatically be displayed on my up and coming website

www.littlehorrorscomic.com. A condition of this work i that I retain the right to the characters and overall concept of the work and have the right to show it on this site (albeit with a credit to yourself if I choose one of your scripts).

My overall intention is to sell this work. I'll be looking for a regular slot in a prominent magazine/ website or journal as it's possible to whack these out on a daily basis. Work sold will entitle the writer to a comission that's based on a 70/30 split. I realise that most projects offer a 50/50

split between artist an writer but I have to view this from a time perspective. It takes nearly a whole day to sketch, draw, ink, letter and color a four frame strip but if inspiration hits for a writer a four frame quick gag can be developed in minutes. I know on a creative level it doesn't

always work like this but the ammount of time it takes to actually convert your ideas into a strip is a constant daily slog.

Ok... so down to a basic synopsis of the comic and characters.

Target audience:

I've decided to try and take this pretty mainstream. So rather than outright gratuitous violence I'm looking for a more acceptable level. More Tom and Jerry, maybe Ren and Stimply at a push but I don't want to reduce it's potential appeal because it's too violent for a mainstream

publication (I'll also drop the cigarettes from the first example as that's a big no no!) The dream would be to see this sold to half a dozen journals that usually publish the likes of Garfield and Dilbert.

Character synopsis:

Vinnie or Vincent. (Straight man)

The Vampire character, this character is a multitude of inspirations mixed into one. I want him to be a wannabe (emphasis on the wannabe) Thespian, intellect and considers himself better than the rest... A point that is clearly not true and will hopefully create good comical insipration.

Reference: Vincent Price, Brain (Pinky and the Brain) any over the top, slightly camp, lovie, darling old school actor.

Clide:

The wolfman. (sharp and cool comments)

Leather jacket and comb at the ready. He's the reincarnation of James Dean, Elvis and the Fonz (Apologies... Not sure how to spell Fonz but I mean the fella outa Happy Days). So we're looking at an extremely layed back and cool attitude where making sure he looking good would

outway impending death.

Reference: James Dean, Elvis, Leather Jackets, grease, Harley's.

Dudley:

Hunchback ugly chap. (crazed and nasty)

The black sheep (or the blackest sheep) of the bunch. He's always the first to dive in and create mayhem. He the equivelant of the stooped over man servant from traditional horror movies. He's over enthusiastic with anything that would be considered wrong. However.... He's a real hit

with the ladies! I'm going to introduce a really beautiful but nasty femme fatal into the gags in the future. She's madly in love with him for his evil ways (and as a personal gag reference for the future... "So well hung!" as he swings from a noose with a smile on his face).

Reference: Any humpbacked servant you've seen in any steriotypical hammer house movie.

Timeframe:

As with most aspiring comic artist's and writers, I've a fulltime job, family and other commitments. Fortunately my work is fulltime/part-time. I'll explain....

I own and run a Campsite in the south of France, I'm just coming upto my busy period of the year so additional work will be slow at best. After August I'm free to pursue this project, and intend to with a passion. So scripts submitted now many not come to anything for a few months.

Don't be put off though. When September hits, I'm free to pursue this at a script a day and intend to have this concept fully working and paying dividends shortly afterwards.

I hope this helps?

Like I said, I'm hitting a busy time with additional work (Although I'd much preffer to be doing this). I'll do my very best to answer any additional questions about this project.

Finally... I've attached the first B&W gag strip to this post. It's about half a days turnaround to prove it can be done daily if needed. I think it also summarises the type of gag (Not the quality as I wrote it myself... Crap! I know!) needed for this project and summarises the quality of

Illustration I intend to attach to your script.

Hopefully we can take this somewhere special.

Thanks for your time and interest.

Tris