ModerTales.com....

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas51471

ModerTales.com....

Post by Thomas51471 »

Hey guys,

Ok got a question ModernTales.com the end of free comics and guys like us on the internet or a better outlet for us to make money off what we enjoy while pushing internet comics to grow?

Personally Im kinda torn. On one hand I see this as an opportunity for me to try and get into that site and make a little bit of money here, but as in the real "tangible" world of comics its alot easier to say your going to break into a paying gig than it is to do it. Then on the other hand I ask myself "What if I can't or don't want to get into that site. Is it realistic once they really take off to think anyone will want to pay ME for my comics when they can go to a site and pay THEM for more than one comic at a time?" I dunno. Time will tell I guess. What do ya'll think?

The one thing I am sure of though is Moderntales.com has now changed the internet comics industry for better or worse forever.

Thanks,
Thomas Clemmons
www.gutterflycomix.com
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Like you said, breaking into paying gigs isn't easy. But bear in mind, that doesn't just mean breaking into an established group like ModerTales is difficult. Doing it on your own is just as difficult. The fact is making money through self-publishing in any medium is nearly impossible. Sure, a few people can manage it, but only a rare few. And as far as Web comics go, it's probably the very same few who can make it into Moder Tales. Let's face it -- if all of us went to a payment system at once, even before we had MT to compete with, only a very tiny fraction of us would have kept a significant readership. In fact, I doubt that everyone who got into MT would have even managed it. Sure, MT makes it less likely that anyone would pay money for a single comic. But that wasn't too likely to happen anyway, unless you were already supremely popular. So, yeah, my feeling is that MT has increased the likelihood that some of us will get paid.

As for whether it will spell the end for free comics -- not a chance. Web comics are already a counter-culture sort of thing. Except it's a counter-culture without a mainstream to rebel against. MT just gave us our mainstream. That will only draw more attention to the medium, which will bring in new readers, many of whom will want something more than MT is offering. And that's OUR chance to increase our own readership.
joeymanley
Forum Member

Modern Tales: concerns about free comics

Post by joeymanley »

I believe and hope that the existence of Modern Tales (and, hopefully, lots and lots of other working webcomics businesses and lots of working business models) will make free webcomics more prevalent, rather than less: if there's an obvious career path, one that results in actual money, more cartoonists (and more better cartoonists), will be likely to start posting work on the web.

Joey
Editor/Publisher
Modern Tales
Subscribe to Modern Tales: professional webcomics

http://www.moderntales.com/