(MAD)Writer looking for a collab to work on a pitch!!

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

MadWriter
Forum Member

(MAD)Writer looking for a collab to work on a pitch!!

Post by MadWriter »

Hello talented artists!!

I'm an aspiring writer - and before you get put off by the "aspiring" part, let me say that I do have some experience as a writer. Hear me out!

Looking for an aspiring artist to team up with for a mini series pitch. No money. I barely have enough money to keep myself alive so I cannot afford to pay you, hence the "aspiring part".

The pitch in a sentence is "sin city meets borderlands via zombies."
Sounds weird, I know, but if it peeked your interest and you want to hear more about it and maybe see some scripts,
madwriter27@gmail.com
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

Advice

Post by Ruyei »

Some issues here.

Pitches like this seem to never work...sorry man. I've been in your shoes. I'd even make the argument that even if you offered money you'd have difficulty getting the talent you'd need. Thankfully there are a few things you can do to improve this ad and attract artists with a different pitch.

1. What is the story?
You give one sentence! I understand the fear that someone will your idea but seriously, who is going to lurk in these places and collect ideas? Anyway, when making a comic pitch to a company you need to make a basic story proposal or they won't even consider you. Unless you can tell us what you're pitching you're dead in the water as what doesn't work for a company won't work for an artist. You don't need to write an essay but you still need to the artist what he's getting to and what makes your story great specifically. And yes you are stating that there's more information in a pm...but like with a company if you don't make a proper pitch they will not contact you for more information.

2. How many pages?
You state you want to do a mini-series pitch. How long will pitch be? Also, who will send out to? What are your financial plans? Even if you say "I want to get good" it still will attract an artist or two if you present yourself well and don't ask too much of your partner. Many artists are seeking practice pieces. The trick to get these artists is to have a low page count, a good pitch, and good communication skills. You also have to be willing to wait months per page, but that's typical for "free" work.

3. Make multiple pitches.
This is only a suggestion, but don't rest your future career on one project. I've been where you are making my first post looking for an artist. At this point, I have working relationships with several artists and I've made some here and there with my work. What worked for me is that I would pitch several ideas for multiple projects. If one project didn't work I would go on to the next one. If an artist disappeared I would look again. Do not fall into the trap of thinking that, as your first work, this is going to be the one that makes or breaks you. Go into this with the mentality of wait and see, and make multiple pitches.

Long story short you need a good pitch to get any artist at all. Writers outnumber artists, and worse, new writers have a reputation for being awful to work with as well as being amateurish. You have a steep wall to climb. But more effort into a good pitch and prepare for, eventually, some interest from a couple artists. Also, don't hesitate to try other forums like Reddit and Digital Webbing.

Best,
Rob
MadWriter
Forum Member

Post by MadWriter »

Well first of all, thank you, seriously, for taking the time and write this reply and try to help me out.

To your arguments:
Well the main reason i gave just the logline wasn't at all because im afraid of someone stealing the ideas but because I assumed no one is interested in reading a long post here. I thought the longer it'd be, the less people will take the time to read it seriously. The logline method is a famous "counter", if you will, to that, so I thought it's the best way to go.

Second - well, i have nothing for that except gratitude, some pretty helpful information, thx :) still have a few questions but I'll pm you about those.

3. Totally agree with you, and I'm already on it.

Thx again for this!
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

Post by Ruyei »

Feel free to pm. I’d be happy to share some more advice.

[Edit] By the way though, your post was 90% you apologizing for being new haha. I agree that a longer post can be excessive but at least a paragraph is beneficial! I generally find that a summary of the entire concept is best, and that two to four sentences can be useful for each concept. Back when I was regularly looking I would include 4 concepts or even five. It might not have been the most effective maybe but....it got me work haha. And those tended to be fairly long.

Best,
Rob
WillEd
Regular Poster

Post by WillEd »

Zombies. Everything is zombies these days.