Not looking for an "artist", but a co-creator

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

blub
Forum Member

Not looking for an "artist", but a co-creator

Post by blub »

As the title says, I'm not looking for an artist strictly. I'm looking for a co-creator. If we make a comic by saying "I'll do this, you do that", whatever comes out as a result surely won't be at its full potential. If you've ever been a part of a high school project, you know that when a group actually works together, the result is a good one.

Previously when doing this, I would initially create a rough draft comic page, serving as the basis. The next step would be my partner's, refining and reimagining the page, thus creating the final draft. If you're interested in working this way, by all means inquire! If you want to work with me but not in this manner, we can develop our own system.

Of course, the creativity won't go solely to the art. You will also have equal input in the writing. Unlike other writers who might say "here's the story, now draw it", I want to allow my partner have the freedom when it comes to writing, because it is a very important part to a comic. It is the meat, and art is the skin. To accomplish this, I've developed a concept that will serve as an infinite canvas.

The concept is tentatively titled "Multiversal". It would revolve around Rudy [last name to be determined], a youthful an adventurous 22 year old who travels into parallel universes through the use of a special belt I've just dubbed 'Debbie the Rifter' because I'm not exactly sure what to call it and am contemplating the idea of it talking.

Some ideas I've already tossed around were a universe in which the Norse religion is correct, as well as one called the Netherverse in which all of its inhabitants are evil, even the turtles, aaaaand a universe in which a robotic Abe Lincoln who pilots a giant George Washington mech has enslaved humanity and everything kind of resembles ancient Egypt. Anything is possible.

So yeah, that's the idea we'd be going off of. It'd be like an interdimensional-thing-action-adventure-scifi-comedy collaboration comic. Personally, I'm looking for someone who has a more cartoony look to their art, but not too over the top. Styles that vaguely resemble Tessa Stones would be marvelous.

If need be, I can display some of my art, including concepts of Rudy among other things. Also, if your services require pay, I am currently unable to do so, BUT I am getting a new job so in time I could provide you with the moolah if necessary.

Interested?
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

nifty idea

Post by Ruyei »

A pretty nifty plan of action if I should say so myself. Making an artist feel more like a co-creator is how I go about finding artists and it works for me, I think you have your heart in the right place and all that.

I do recommend perhaps going a step beyond though and perhaps allow the artist more leeway on what is written. Perhaps leeway on the main character or even a chance to pitch their own idea to you! I know I myself found my first few projects by simply working on the pet projects of other artists and it's a great way to find experience.

Still you have the right idea and I hope you find a partner. Not only does it make the artist feel more freedom to have a say in the project but it allows his or her style to fit a bit better with what you have in mind. I'd say since you aren't offering payment to be a bit more flexible with any style you might get. Hell, my constant partner and now good friend draws comics in a picasso style with makes me feel that I'm working more with fine art than a comic. Not to mention that most artists I've come across work in an American comic book style and I don't come across many cartoonists.

Be VERY open is the best advice I can give you. You're looking for a "free" artist or collaboration, which mean you're primary goal is to make the artist feel comfortable. The least amount of limits are recommended and of course a very open mind.

Best of luck!
Sincerely,
Ruyei
blub
Forum Member

Re: nifty idea

Post by blub »

Ruyei wrote:A pretty nifty plan of action if I should say so myself. Making an artist feel more like a co-creator is how I go about finding artists and it works for me, I think you have your heart in the right place and all that.

I do recommend perhaps going a step beyond though and perhaps allow the artist more leeway on what is written. Perhaps leeway on the main character or even a chance to pitch their own idea to you! I know I myself found my first few projects by simply working on the pet projects of other artists and it's a great way to find experience.

Still you have the right idea and I hope you find a partner. Not only does it make the artist feel more freedom to have a say in the project but it allows his or her style to fit a bit better with what you have in mind. I'd say since you aren't offering payment to be a bit more flexible with any style you might get. Hell, my constant partner and now good friend draws comics in a picasso style with makes me feel that I'm working more with fine art than a comic. Not to mention that most artists I've come across work in an American comic book style and I don't come across many cartoonists.

Be VERY open is the best advice I can give you. You're looking for a "free" artist or collaboration, which mean you're primary goal is to make the artist feel comfortable. The least amount of limits are recommended and of course a very open mind.

Best of luck!
Sincerely,
Ruyei
Your input is much appreciated, Ruyei! Yes, whomever my will be would have their say with the main character and even the plot. In fact, they will be more than welcome to provide different concepts if not this one. By suggesting this Multiversal/Omniversal concept, I had hoped to attract additional attention as well as showing that the possibilities are endless with this concept. As I said though, I'm more than happy to hear out other ideas for comics.

Style is included for the openness. If our styles are vastly different, that's good as well. Stating that I wish my partner's style to resemble Tessa Stone's or Marie Enger's is because they serve as my inspiration and I modeled my style after their's. I felt that if my partner's style resembled their's as well, the transition from rough draft to final draft would be much smoother.

Thanks again for your response. You understand that this isn't about what I want from my partner, whoever they may end up to be; it's about what we can construct together.
Georgia Pidgeon
Forum Member

Post by Georgia Pidgeon »

I was looking for the co-creator instead of the artist it used to have some faith among the plants according to the faith policy. I have to get this so I decided to wrote velvetjobs review this was known as the classification site that has many ads regard this function.