Silly McCloud BBCode

For reporting forum bugs, feature requests and the like.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Silly McCloud BBCode

Post by Greg Stephens »

I'm not ready to do this for a whole lot of things- this is just a test, really, but you can now use the super-special-experimental McCloud BBCode in these forums. For example, if you type:

[mccloud]super Scott McCloud bbcode[/mccloud]

You will see:

<a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com">super Scott McCloud bbcode</a>
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

It shouldn't be too hard to make the BBCode parser look through the usernames when it gets a piece of code it doesn't recognize.

[wikkit]Wikkit[/wikkit][/code]
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

You might think, but because of the way it works, it also depends on templating code where php won't function, so additions to BBCode need to be hand-coded at the moment.

Actually, true custom bbcode might be coming in version 2.2 of this software, but who knows when that will be, since they still haven't officially released version 2 (what I'm running right now).
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

I'm not sure I understand this. It seems to me that the Scott McCloud code just adds a link to McCloud's Web site. Is that all it's meant to do?
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Yup- That's all it does. My thought is that we can have codes for sites that we reference all the time, like Modern Tales or Scott's site or stuff like that, which would save us time in posts. Also, if the sites move, then simply changing the BBCode will change all of the existing links, retroactively.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Another alternative is using the forum's word-censoring ability (something I've been able to live without) to transform one string of text into another. For example, we could do something like type "mccloud link" (without the quotes and without the space between the words) and it could automatically change that to: mccloudlink.