thinking about doing a print comic.... anyone else?

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

thinking about doing a print comic.... anyone else?

Post by gazorenzoku »

I am thinking about doing a print comic project. Is anyone else out there doing print or thinking about doing print? Let's share ideas, stories, info, etc....

Also, right now I am wondering about the pros and cons of mini comics (or ash cans or whatever) vs. profesional printing & distribution (with Diamond)..... Anyone have any thoughts on that kind of thing?
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
Nick Douglas
Regular Poster

Print comic

Post by Nick Douglas »

I publish a 200-circulation local mini-magazine (<i>very</i> low-key) that will soon include one comic per issue. We're unable to pay for work, as we've made no money yet, but eventually we hope to provide at least $10 per comic. Anyone willing to donate? Our style is a mixture of <i>Esquire</i>, <i>Wired</i>, and The <i>New Yorker</i>
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

That sounds interesting. I'd love to submit something if you are ok with it, and if I have the time. Can't make any promises right now though. If you do decide to offer cash, how about just buying people something on Amazon.com or something like that? I would love to get a graphic novel for doing some comic book art! What a horrible, brain rotting cycle...

In other news, things are picking up on my print comic project. With half a comic done, I took a few days off to rework my site so it now serves as an ad for the print comic as well as an online comic site. No new comics, but some new graphics.... check it out if you like at:

www.gazorenzoku.com

I particularly liked the opening page.
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
Nick Douglas
Regular Poster

Nice, but --

Post by Nick Douglas »

Groovy work, but we're looking for something very mainstream -- something, alas, that cannot remind the user of those lazy days in the 60s with illicit pharmaceuticals.

I forgot to clarify -- it's a small, somewhat conservative town, and we're shooting for the more cultured bit of it. Jazz, drama, British TV -- *shrug* Sorta miscellaneous, but if you send something, I'll tell you whether it fits. :roll: Me and my roundabout submissions requests -- when will I ever learn?
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

thanks

Post by gazorenzoku »

Sounds like an interesting magazine. Thanks for checking out my site!

I also enjoy doing more mainstream stuff as well... My mainstream projects are just on the backburner right now as I focus on experimentation. Maybe I will send something more mainstream at some point. If you don't want to use it, then I'll just put it in my own book... no biggie.

Just out of curiosity, what are the size limitations, page length, etc.? Are you looking for small, humorous, newspaper style cartoons, or is a one page layout ok?

Also, do you have a site for your magazine?

vince
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
Nick Douglas
Regular Poster

Groovy.

Post by Nick Douglas »

Right now, we're ridiculously small -- a folded 11x17 sheet, totalling 4 8.5x11 sides. The comic could take a half-side. Black-and-white, of course -- we have a $50 budget. :cry: