Uninformed Bob

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Nick Douglas
Regular Poster

Repetition

Post by Nick Douglas »

Not to mention Marmaduke, and even Dilbert (kudos, though, to Scott Adams to building a national syndicated cast of characters despite an admitted lack of artistic talent).

Post by Guest »

Is that "form" in today's third panel a typo? Shouldn't it read "from"?
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Forming a from

Post by Rip Tanion »

Yeah, it can't be "from", that would make no sence.

I guess Scott didn't much sleep after his Wild Weekend. :wink:

Myself, a chronic misspeller, and horrible typist, I can sympathise.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Chris Wright

Re: apostrophes and years

Post by Chris Wright »

Scott McCloud wrote:Bearing in mind that I have since added the leading apostrophes which I do consider the best form, I'd have to say that "1950's diner" would still be wrong. If the decade still possessed the establishment as you said, it would be a 1950s' diner. Perhaps if the year 1950 possessed it, that would be the correct form.

Which proves, of course, that we all need to get out of the house more often.
And all that is (somewhat) hooey, because it's the genitive rather than the possessive. Abstracts can't own things. Anyway, you're going by the book, and the book doesn't define the language. What people use is what matters most. I myself would not quibble over something like that, because it is now acceptable to use 1950s or 1950's as the plain plural, obscuring the possessogenitive. Also, 1950s could be an adjective form rather than a possessogenitive. In that case, no apostrophe is strictly necessary. No slight intended to anyone. Textbooks indoctrinate people to what the publisher considers proper, and that's what they say is right.

By the publishers' standards, it should be 1950's'.

I'm going to be a linguist (future prospective!), so I give an unfortunate amount of thought to these things.

Chris Wright
http://gareis.free.fr
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I am just wondering how improv is this strip, "Uninformed Bob" now. I mean it very cute and funny, however there is now 13 strips here. Is McCloud going to quit comic books for comic strips? Not that I mind, but I am being to wonder how long going to stretch out this one gag. If we all like Bob, then perhaps make it a side thing. I mean there is not that much work that is going into this strip; all McCloud has to do is add new text and keep the same four pictures over and over again. There is nothing saying he can not do another improv at the same time ... something he actualy draws. :P (Sorry to be harsh, Scott.)
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

I am just wondering how improv is this strip, "Uninformed Bob" now. I mean it very cute and funny, however there is now 13 strips here. Is McCloud going to quit comic books for comic strips? Not that I mind, but I am being to wonder how long going to stretch out this one gag. If we all like Bob, then perhaps make it a side thing. I mean there is not that much work that is going into this strip; all McCloud has to do is add new text and keep the same four pictures over and over again. There is nothing saying he can not do another improv at the same time ... something he actualy draws. (Sorry to be harsh, Scott.)
Not harsh at all. You're right that it took less time to simply change the text. But at M.I.'s one hour a day, that's why I was able to add 2-4 strips a day instead my usual one or two panels! 8)

Anyway, poor Bob is now officially dispatched. Look for a new title tomorrow (Wednesday)!
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

And yes, it was "from" not "form." I just uploaded the correction. Thanks for pointing that out.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Moved some comments

Post by Greg Stephens »

There were some interesting replies here about Death and the M.I. comics, so I moved 'em to their own topic, now here:

http://www.zwol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=440

Never delete; Just reorganize!
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Matthias
Forum Member

Post by Matthias »

Uninformed Bob was one of the best things I've seen in a while. Especially the repitition of it, in fact... it perfectly captured that three-panel strip deja vu thing...

Triviality, stuck in the pages between the latest murders and wars, and the rockiness of the current world economy... like a little oasis of, well, emptiness... no background, no future, nothing exploration of the situation and characters... A perfect moment where the pages before and the pages after cease to have any meaning or reference... a newspaper singularity...

Mmmm... butterscotch...

Mmmm...

Mmmm...

Mmmmmmmm...

(till death)
Go bye bye.
watchitman
Forum Member

Wow...

Post by watchitman »

...what a really dark and twisted comic.

FOLKS!!

Post by Guest »

Yes, Scott is a very clever boy, but DO NOT BE FOOLED!!!! This is NOT yet another one of his devastatingly original ideas! The EXACT SAME schtick -- a series of strips illustrating their cartoonist's descent into madness -- can be found in State By State With The State, a very funny book written by a brilliant but sadly short-lived comedy troupe. ('Member them? The State? Anyone?*) To be fair, though, Scott did it better.

*Anyone who can name Cake Like's lead singer is officially supercool. Give me the title of the Comedy Central series she starred on and her character's name -- super crazy nutty cool.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I am kind of glad that it is over, but I am also kind of sad ...

-David Ano
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Re: FOLKS!!

Post by Alexander D. »

Anonymous wrote:Yes, Scott is a very clever boy, but DO NOT BE FOOLED!!!! This is NOT yet another one of his devastatingly original ideas! The EXACT SAME schtick -- a series of strips illustrating their cartoonist's descent into madness -- can be found in State By State With The State, a very funny book written by a brilliant but sadly short-lived comedy troupe. ('Member them? The State? Anyone?*) To be fair, though, Scott did it better.

*Anyone who can name Cake Like's lead singer is officially supercool. Give me the title of the Comedy Central series she starred on and her character's name -- super crazy nutty cool.
I remember The State. I believe they were the troupe that had the "I'm going to shoot the president" skit. They were around at the same time as Exit 57, though, so I sometimes confuse their skits. (The State was better, though.)

In any case, I don't recall "Cake Like," but I assume the acress you're referring to is Amy Sedaris, who played Geri Blank on Strangers with Candy. She was a member of The State, as was Steven Colbert, also from Strangers with Candy, as well as the most senior current cast member of The Daily Show.

Post by Guest »

Alexander D. wrote:I remember The State. I believe they were the troupe that had the "I'm going to shoot the president" skit. They were around at the same time as Exit 57, though, so I sometimes confuse their skits. (The State was better, though.)

In any case, I don't recall "Cake Like," but I assume the acress you're referring to is Amy Sedaris, who played Geri Blank on Strangers with Candy. She was a member of The State, as was Steven Colbert, also from Strangers with Candy, as well as the most senior current cast member of The Daily Show.
Mmnope. Cake Like, in case anyone was confused, is (was? in any case they aren't/weren't very good) an actual rock band, and Amy Sedaris was a member of Exit 57, not The State. She's very good though, I love her.
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Mmnope. Cake Like, in case anyone was confused, is (was? in any case they aren't/weren't very good) an actual rock band, and Amy Sedaris was a member of Exit 57, not The State. She's very good though, I love her.
Damn, you're right. Like I said, I always confuse which show was which with Exit 57 and The State. They were on at the same time, and neither survived very long. Those are my only excuses. Paul Dinello was also on Exit 57 -- that's makes three of the four main actors on Strangers with Candy.

The only Com Central person I can think of who had any form of singing career is Julie Brown, who plays Tami Tyler on Strip Mall. But she just did a couple of novelty songs. I can't imagine her actually fronting a band.

I like how I bring that whole sentence arounf full circle

Post by Guest »

Alexander D. wrote:Damn, you're right. Like I said, I always confuse which show was which with Exit 57 and The State. They were on at the same time, and neither survived very long. Those are my only excuses. Paul Dinello was also on Exit 57 -- that's makes three of the four main actors on Strangers with Candy.

The only Com Central person I can think of who had any form of singing career is Julie Brown, who plays Tami Tyler on Strip Mall. But she just did a couple of novelty songs. I can't imagine her actually fronting a band.
Alright, I just realized that of the few people aside from Al and me who are actually paying any attention to this thread, precisely zero are likely to know or have any interest in the answer to the VERY IMPORTANT question I posed the other day. So I'm gonna drop some science on you people.

Cake Like is an all-girl band featuring Kerri Kinney, whose TV credits include The State, an appearance in a surprisingly bland commercial for dishwashing liquid, and a starring role as Agatha Laupin on Comedy Central's Viva Variety, which had an even shorter life than Exit 57 and ehich, aside from being hilarious, featured bands like Shonen Knife, Fishbone, Cibo Matto and -- you guessed it -- Cake Like. Which is actually a pretty good band, I don't know why I'd badmouth it like I did.

I'd audition for Beat the Geeks if I didn't hate that stupid, useless supermodel ornament they got working there. Hate her. So bad.