Eisner Award Nominations

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Eisner Award Nominations

Post by Greg Stephens »

The full list is several places, but I just noticed it here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... gi?id=1082

I'm impressed at the range of nominations this year. Nary a mention of Alan Moore. Nice to see Carla Speed McNeil getting some nominations- It'd be great if she won some. While I enjoy "Ruse," I wouldn't have put it in any of these categories, and it makes me smile to see Dave Sim's name under Best Letterer (again, I think). Planetary? Has there even been an issue of that this year? Must have been...

No "Online Comics" section though. Pity.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Of course, Scott noticed that, too:

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimate ... 1&t=005519
Martinibianco
Forum Member

Post by Martinibianco »

While I agree that a lot of the web comic work published this year out-strips (forgive the pun) some of the work on the list of nominees by a considerable margin (ouch, sorry), it's a shame that the posters on the Comicon thread linked to by Greg feel that web comics deserve their own category. I can't think of any category in the nominations list that precludes any particular platform for comics (maybe apart from Graphic Album, Pencilling and Cover Art). Why do web comics need the undignified charity of a separate category? And what separates web comics from print comics. How would the nominators make the distinction? I know this particular can has been opened before and the worms have long since slithered away, but if the enlightened definition of comics shuns notions of formality and physicality, then surely the whole list of nominations should reflect this? Perhaps it ithe web comics community's efforts should be focussed on educating the judges, rather than lobbying for yet another category in what is probably a rather lengthy awards evening...
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

That's a nice thought in theory but the Eisner Awards, like all awards, are specialized and display their bias openly. Along with digital comics, they also ignore newspaper comics (strips and editorial) and those are read by far more people on a daily basis than the best-selling 32-page monthly. (OTOH, newspaper strip comics have their own awards- plenty of 'em, actually: http://www.stus.com/1awards.htm ) The fact that a lunchbox or an action-figure can be considered for an Eisner while something like "No.9 Chickweed Lane" can't shows that simply being a good comic isn't enough to be in the running. You are correct when you say that giving them their own category may seem like condescension, but I think that if online comics want to be considered for an Eisner, getting their own category is the only way to do it in the forseeable future. The bigger question is, given that the Eisners are already biased, do webcomics want to be a part of something that's still faulty even if it does incude digital comics?
Bob Stevenson
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Stevenson »

Could, should or has the web-comics community set up their own set of awards? Awards could be given for best weekly, monthly, daily, strip, long-form, design, comic site, maybe even best virtual action figure.

Could it be that we spend too much time worrying about what the print comic world makes of web-comics? They have a vested interest in keeping the internet out of thier little competition as long as the web threatens the prosperity of a medium that is already in financial free-fall.

Bob Stevenson
<a href="www.journeyintohistory.com">journeyintohistory.com</a>