Monkey town?

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Monkey Robot vs Another Monkey Robot

Post by Rip Tanion »

I'm not sure if this has been said already, but...

Oh no!

Monkey Town has turned into (gulp) VOLTRON!
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Mr Reinhardt

Gorillaz

Post by Mr Reinhardt »

Just stopping by to say that Gorillaz are great.
Fortunato
Frequent Poster

voltron indeed!

Post by Fortunato »

I feel so much cleaner now that the McCloudites have been dissolved. Plus, now I'm allowed to post on other subjects again.

Now, onto the meat of the post...

Voltron? seems less Voltron than Ultraman (though I did like voltron). remember, in voltron, the enemies usually came pre-packaged supersized, and that was why the voltron team had to make the big robot, whereas ultraman just had the ability to become huge.
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Rip Tanion wrote:That is a cool pic that Wikkit took. But for the record, I believe it's an orangutan, not a babboon. And we all know you shouldn't mess with an orangutan, else he put you on trial for Scientific Heresy. For they are the "Defenders of the Faith, Guardians of the Terrible Secret"
All of McCloud's monkey aren't monkeys, so I thought I'd get away with it.

Mr Reinhardt, I think we already covered that in the other monkey thread, and yes.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, that was a cool pic, wikkit. bravo.
GlenSS
Forum Member

Bad pun time!

Post by GlenSS »

Would Monkey A's long lost Canadian twin be Monkey Eh?
Robin Skyler
Forum Member

God-Monkey?

Post by Robin Skyler »

A confounding development.
gwenners

So...

Post by gwenners »

...am I the only person (yet) who suspect this will end with that "voice of God" telling everyone to quit monkeying around? :wink:

Cheers,
Gwen Smith
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

Yup! That "stop" sure sounds Godly to me!

Deus Ex Monkeytown!

Oh yeah, is it a private joke of Scott's to have "Super Colossal Ultra Hero Monkey" spell S.C.U.H.M.? :D
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Is it the voice of God, or is it the voice of...McCloud

I hope Flakey Foontomato's wacky religious cult (of which I was a member for about five minutes before I became I hunted heretic) hasn't given Scott a God complex. :wink:
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Fortunato
Frequent Poster

Hey!

Post by Fortunato »

No crossing threads! Otherwise we'll get a whole bunch of people misquoting the line near the end of Ghostbusters about crossed streams, remember it now? And besides, the REAL point behind the cult gag was that if anyone deserves veneration like that, it's Scott.

But, hey, has anyone else noticed that Monkey Town looks a lot like the city where Zot lives (whatever its name is)? Maybe this is the city after the devos took control.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Ya mean that cult thing was all a gag? Gee, I better call off the dogs, before my agents take you out. I wouldn't want the blood of the innocent of my hands.:wink:

But seriously, folks...I'm wondering if it is the voice of God, how will Scott draw him? Will he look like George Burns? Charlton Heston? A grey bearded orthodox rabbi from the old country with a body-builder's physique? Scott McCloud?

Or will Scott commit the ultimate blasphemy, angering creationists far and wide, and portray the All-Mighty as (gasp) simian?

After all, does the law not state...Ape shall not kill ape!
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

MONKEY GOD

Post by catgarza »

a monkey world would have a monkey god, no?
cayetano "cat" garza jr. Image
cybercholo/webcomix "pioneer"/weirdo
Jack Masters
Consistant Poster

Post by Jack Masters »

I'm with cat on this one.
<a href="Http://CastleZZT.net/">House of Stairs</a>
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

RE: MONKEY GOD

Post by Rip Tanion »

a monkey world would have a monkey god, no?
Well, logically, yes. If God created man in his own image, than it follows suite that in an anthropomorphic world populated by monkies, that thier creator would look like a monkey. Of course, in the Jewish tradition, where God is never visually portrayed, that point would be moot.

However, if Scott DOES give us a monkey-like God, it'll sure upset the bible thumpers out there. I just hope he's not hauled into a court somewhere in the deep south, especially since Clarence Darrow is dead. And don't think it couldn't happen. Remember what those nuts in Florida did to Mike Diana?
Fortunato
Frequent Poster

Post by Fortunato »

I just hope he's not hauled into a court somewhere in the deep south, especially since Clarence Darrow is dead.
'Tain't gonna happen, Rip. He's livin in Southern California, the wackiness capital of the world. I once read a statistic that said that a new monkey god was invented every twelve hours in LA (My source? "Cult leaders monthly". It's a little bit of an underground paper, but surprisingly well written).
Jack Masters
Consistant Poster

Post by Jack Masters »

My thinking is based less on biblical precedents and more on the fact that having a monkey god would allow for more use of a specific word (which I'm not going to mention but I'm sure you all can guess.)
<a href="Http://CastleZZT.net/">House of Stairs</a>
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

the word

Post by catgarza »

would that word be.... MONKEY?! ;)
cayetano "cat" garza jr. Image
cybercholo/webcomix "pioneer"/weirdo
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

'Tain't gonna happen, Rip. He's livin in Southern California, the wackiness capital of the world.
Well, they're not gonna come after him in CA. However, if he journeys into the bible belt, he should be careful. You've got a lot of yokel judges and lawmen down there who never heard of the Bill of Rights.

Of course, I'm exagerating a bit here, but the fact is you never can tell with people who take religion very seriously, to the point of addiction. Of course, a Monkey Jesus would piss them off even more.

Replace communion wafers with dried banana chips?

Personaly, I like where Scott is going with this, but I'm a heathen.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Fortunato wrote: He's livin in Southern California, the wackiness capital of the world. I once read a statistic that said that a new monkey god was invented every twelve hours in LA .
As a fellow resident of those parts, I must refute that statistic as a gross exaggeration.

Every 36 hours. Tops.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Greg Stephens wrote:
Fortunato wrote: He's livin in Southern California, the wackiness capital of the world. I once read a statistic that said that a new monkey god was invented every twelve hours in LA .
As a fellow resident of those parts, I must refute that statistic as a gross exaggeration.

Every 36 hours. Tops.
"The coastline runs west, and then turns north up to the misty bay of San Francisco, which the Guide describes as a ``good place to go. It's very easy to believe that everyone you meet there is also a space traveller. Starting a new religion for you is just their way of saying `hi'." -- SLATFATF, ch 15, by Douglas Adams.
Fortunato
Frequent Poster

Post by Fortunato »

Nice quote, Wikkit. I love them books.
Tom Scud

Aaah! It is Monkey God!

Post by Tom Scud »

I question the validity of a simiomorphic representation of the cosmic All!

I invoke rational epistomology to question the necessity of a creator-monkey-god in a universe governed by immutable natural law!
Chris Wright
Forum Member

Monkey god

Post by Chris Wright »

If I had been making this comic (it would have been horrible, but that's beside my point), I would have changed its ending so that there was no monkey god, just to disappoint everyone. How cruel of me.

Perhaps it could have been a third giant monkey on a high-rise building, or space aliens, or the police in a helicopter, or a rival nation's military with that form of ebola that can transmit to monkeys through the air, or... or...something.

Laimes,
Wright.