Monkeytown & Transcendence

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Peter Wielinski

Monkeytown & Transcendence

Post by Peter Wielinski »

Hi Scott!

You finished Monkeytown on the same day I (just barely) finished a doctoral paper on postmodernism and the need for transcendence. So I was struck by seeing some of the same themes I had in my paper showing up in Monkeytown: science falling short of continuing to meet the needs of a soon-to-be global society, the acceleration of change caused by technology, conflict created as cultures and nations are threatened by assimilation into a greater whole, all of which begs for a new ideology of transcendence is we are to survive. And of course, lots and lots of "damn, dirty apes!"

Vaclav Havel gave an excellent speech on this subject (minus the damn, dirty apes of course) on July 4th, 1994 at Independence Hall in Philadelphia. The entire speech (it's actually fairly short) can be found online at:

www.worldtrans.org/whole/havelspeech.html

Oh, I was also successful at getting the son of a friend of mine hooked up with your seminar in Minneapolis. He's really looking forward to it and I'm jealous because I can't go myself! His name is Sam Kess, and if you get a chance tell him I said Hi!

Thanks for all of your work and online comics recommendations.

Peter Wielinski, Ely, MN